2024 Playoffs: Suns-Timberwolves Round 1 News Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: 2024 Playoffs: Suns-Timberwolves Round 1 News Thread

Post by Mori Chu »

rhylek wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:44 am
Pick swap is only a problem if ours is higher than the other team's, right?
Yes, but, that means if we have a truly awful season (major injury, etc.), we can't just rely on having our own pick be better because of it. It'll mean that we lose our pick in the swap. And the other team will have no incentive to let that be a good pick for us.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

And I'd still rather have Kevin Durant.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:14 pm
And I'd still rather have Kevin Durant.
Yeah, Kal and those picks barring some miracle just aren't every gonna be anywhere near as good as Durant.
Jones and Vogel out, Lue or Lee in, draft Tyler Kolek.

Split T

Post by Split T »

2026 pick is our next swap…Washington gets first dibs(They will still be bad), then Orlando, then Memphis. Both those teams could be better than us but we still have KD/Book/Beal signed through then. We likely won’t be giving up a good pick.

2028 we swap with Washington and Brooklyn…it’s far enough away that anything could happen, but neither of those teams worry me.

2030 is the last swap and its Washington or Memphis.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Dan Devine series preview for Suns/Wolves:
Prediction: Suns in six. I’ve loved this Wolves team all season; I hate this matchup for them. The exact shots that Minnesota forces are the ones that Phoenix feasts on. As much as I trust Ant, and as sure as I am that Wolves coach Chris Finch will spend this week cooking up counters, I’m not sure I trust Minnesota’s shooters enough to short-circuit Phoenix’s defensive scheme. And for all the uncertainty over the Suns’ top guys getting and staying healthy, they’re healthy now. That gives Phoenix more pathways to points than Minnesota, and with them, a path to Round 2.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Ishbia is careful to include every Sun on the roster in his image there. Are all of those guys playoff-eligible? Azubuike? Wainwright? IT? Damion Lee (if he gets healthy enough)?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ish, Saban Lee, and Azubuike are not playoff eligible because they are on 2-ways…everyone else is

Cap

Post by Cap »

Split T wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:07 am
Ish, Saban Lee, and Azubuike are not playoff eligible because they are on 2-ways…everyone else is
Doesn’t look like Damion will be available either, though he’s technically eligible.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Cap wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:22 am
Split T wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:07 am
Doesn’t look like Damion will be available either, though he’s technically eligible.
Damn. There goes our shot.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I actually wish we had Saben Lee available. He was a serviceable backup PG in some matchups. Wouldn't likely play much if any in the playoffs, but I'd rather have the option.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 am
Prediction: Suns in six. I’ve loved this Wolves team all season; I hate this matchup for them. The exact shots that Minnesota forces are the ones that Phoenix feasts on. As much as I trust Ant, and as sure as I am that Wolves coach Chris Finch will spend this week cooking up counters, I’m not sure I trust Minnesota’s shooters enough to short-circuit Phoenix’s defensive scheme. And for all the uncertainty over the Suns’ top guys getting and staying healthy, they’re healthy now. That gives Phoenix more pathways to points than Minnesota, and with them, a path to Round 2.
Speaking of which, what is our defensive scheme? Somewhat serious question.

BKinSJC

Post by BKinSJC »

pickle wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:49 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
"When in danger or in doubt,
Run in circles, scream and shout."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Works for me.

TOO

Post by TOO »

pickle wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
Kevin Durant

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

pickle wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
Spoiler: show/hide
I'm sure it'll start with the tactic they've been using for a better part of the last month, build a wall to mitigate Edwards' dribble drives and keep at least two defenders with their attention on him. The Suns should make the Wolves other guys prove they can hit shots before deviating from that initial strategy.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:58 pm
pickle wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
Spoiler: show/hide
I'm sure it'll start with the tactic they've been using for a better part of the last month, build a wall to mitigate Edwards' dribble drives and keep at least two defenders with their attention on him. The Suns should make the Wolves other guys prove they can hit shots before deviating from that initial strategy.
This. If KAT isn't dropping bombs from 3 I'm not sure they can do much to stay in the game with this strategy.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'm actually more concerned with the Conley/Gobert PnR if (when) Nurkic is out of the game. Even when Nurkic plays, he's not always great at defending it.

I think the best strategy is a hard hedge with a lot of attention on making the high pass as difficult as possible. Try to get Conley to pass it low to Gobert if he's going to make that play and that should leave enough time for the backside defender to come over and contest the catch or at least foul the shit out of Gobert.

pickle

Post by pickle »

They can and probably should focus on getting Nurk in foul trouble. In the last game I saw on several occasions that Beal was defending KAT, also not ideal. I do agree that this is the best matchup for us, but I’m still not super optimistic. The last two games we completely scrambled them and forced turnovers that blew things open. If they are a bit more disciplined it will be a tough and physical series.

Unless KAT goes ballistic and torpedoes their chances of course.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

That’s right, Wolves turnovers were a huge detriment to their first half woes in both recent games. It’s entirely believable the Suns are the ones making errors if they revert to being lackadaisical against an opponent they’ve recently dominated.

I expect the Wolves to be much more careful with the ball, but shooting will need to eventually come through for them if they hope to keep up with the Suns offense.