Suns Extend Grayson Allen

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
specialsauce

Re: Suns Extend Grayson Allen

Post by specialsauce »

Cap wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:30 pm
Well, that kinda sucks.

Not that the TPMLE was gonna get us much, but at least it would have been something.
Well fuck here come a bunch of Yutas and keitas

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya the 2nd apron rules were incredibly punitive…and of course they came in right as we got a rich owner. Sarver would’ve loved these rules

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:39 pm
Cap wrote:
Well, that kinda sucks.

Not that the TPMLE was gonna get us much, but at least it would have been something.
Well luckily we have a lot more of our team locked up.

KD, Booker, Beal, Nurkic, and Allen are all under contract. Royce is a free agent, but we can pay him since we have his bird rights.

EG, Eubanks, Okogie, and Lee all have player options.

Little and Roddy are under contract as well(deep bench). So if we re-sign Royce, that gives us 8. Lee will almost definitely pick up his option. I’m not sure about Okogie, EG, or Eubanks. EG seems likely unless he didn’t enjoy playing here. Okogie might want somewhere with more of an opportunity. Eubanks probably will pick his up as Vogel seems like he’s gonna play him and I doubt he’s got more money waiting anywhere.

So the starting 5, Royce, Lee, EG, Eubanks, Little, and Roddy. That’s 11. Add a draft pick and we need 3 more players. Hopefully Bol is one of them.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:12 pm
Ya the 2nd apron rules were incredibly punitive…and of course they came in right as we got a rich owner. Sarver would’ve loved these rules
He probably came up with them.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

pickle

Post by pickle »

Split T wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:39 am
Grayson doesn’t make enough to trade for Isaac or Draymond. We will be under the full rules next year too, so no aggregating salaries. No buffer zone either. We can only acquire players that make the exact same or less than Grayson.
Uh yeah I know the contracts don’t work. Thus the “let’s say the contracts work” disclaimer. I’ve been ecstatic with how Allen turned out. To think back on the start of season and remember that at the time I felt like we had a complete lineup with KBD and Yuta and Little and Allen was a nice to have but mostly a bigger than minimum contract to trade is super laughable. I think you alone, Split, were insisting that Allen was much better than the rest of our roster because he was a proven starter on a championship caliber squad.

Having said that I’m just curious what the board consensus (if such a thing exists) is on Allen’s role and at what point we would be willing to move him. The holes on this roster are fairly obvious — defense and rebounding and ball handling and passing. A guy like Draymond fills all those needs, but he certainly comes with baggage. Isaac is touted by many as the best per minute defender in the league (with his own slightly smaller set of baggage).

Finally, to be perfectly clear, I’m not trying to trade Allen.

TOO

Post by TOO »

pickle wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:46 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:39 am
Grayson doesn’t make enough to trade for Isaac or Draymond. We will be under the full rules next year too, so no aggregating salaries. No buffer zone either. We can only acquire players that make the exact same or less than Grayson.
Uh yeah I know the contracts don’t work. Thus the “let’s say the contracts work” disclaimer. I’ve been ecstatic with how Allen turned out. To think back on the start of season and remember that at the time I felt like we had a complete lineup with KBD and Yuta and Little and Allen was a nice to have but mostly a bigger than minimum contract to trade is super laughable. I think you alone, Split, were insisting that Allen was much better than the rest of our roster because he was a proven starter on a championship caliber squad.

Having said that I’m just curious what the board consensus (if such a thing exists) is on Allen’s role and at what point we would be willing to move him. The holes on this roster are fairly obvious — defense and rebounding and ball handling and passing. A guy like Draymond fills all those needs, but he certainly comes with baggage. Isaac is touted by many as the best per minute defender in the league (with his own slightly smaller set of baggage).

Finally, to be perfectly clear, I’m not trying to trade Allen.
I do not believe Split liked Allen when we acquired him. 😆

I did, not sure anyone else was really into it.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I did not want to root for Grayson…but I think it was clear he was the best 5th starter option from the beginning.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

I think consensus was, Allen was a decent player but we could’ve and should’ve gotten a better package(boy was we wrong) and that it was gonna be hard to room for him.

Absolutely wrong. I love him. Already one of my favorite Suns players.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

While I can see us trading him a year from now, depending on how these play out these next two years. I could just as easily see him just playing out his contract and him being one of our main starters for a few years.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ok I rechecked my initial thoughts and I was less enthused than I remember. Think I let my dislike of him as a person cloud my judgement. I called him what we hoped Shamet was. He changed my mind quickly.

Also one quick thing…Jeremy you told me in that thread that it was cost cutting move because Grayson was expiring and that I could tell you you were wrong if we extended him, so here’s me saying you were wrong..it was not yet another cost cutting move by Ishbia haha

pickle

Post by pickle »

Hmm. I thought it was you I had a minor back and forth with on who the fifth starter was and you said that he was the best combo of defense and shooting, while I thought KBD was that guy and Little was second in line. I am very happy with Allen as everyone else but part of the reason I gave this team a C in the ratings thread was due to the fact that none of our gambles paid off. Meanwhile Minnesota has their Reids and Sacramento has their Ellises. I’m jealous as fuck.

Split T

Post by Split T »

pickle wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:46 pm
Hmm. I thought it was you I had a minor back and forth with on who the fifth starter was and you said that he was the best combo of defense and shooting, while I thought KBD was that guy and Little was second in line. I am very happy with Allen as everyone else but part of the reason I gave this team a C in the ratings thread was due to the fact that none of our gambles paid off. Meanwhile Minnesota has their Reids and Sacramento has their Ellises. I’m jealous as fuck.
That could be true…I only read my comments the day of the trade. I may have come around soon after when I stopped thinking about my dislike for him haha…

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:18 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:39 pm
Cap wrote:
Well, that kinda sucks.

Well luckily we have a lot more of our team locked up.

KD, Booker, Beal, Nurkic, and Allen are all under contract. Royce is a free agent, but we can pay him since we have his bird rights.

EG, Eubanks, Okogie, and Lee all have player options.

Little and Roddy are under contract as well(deep bench). So if we re-sign Royce, that gives us 8. Lee will almost definitely pick up his option. I’m not sure about Okogie, EG, or Eubanks. EG seems likely unless he didn’t enjoy playing here. Okogie might want somewhere with more of an opportunity. Eubanks probably will pick his up as Vogel seems like he’s gonna play him and I doubt he’s got more money waiting anywhere.

So the starting 5, Royce, Lee, EG, Eubanks, Little, and Roddy. That’s 11. Add a draft pick and we need 3 more players. Hopefully Bol is one of them.
I hope they all decline their options save Lee

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I still don't understand why we buried Little on the end of the bench. I get benching him just before the trade deadline in case a trade came up, since he was one of our most tradeable assets. But after that, I think he should have gotten minutes. The guy is still under contract with us. We are squandering him as an asset and could be stuck with an unhappy version of him next year.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:40 pm
I still don't understand why we buried Little on the end of the bench. I get benching him just before the trade deadline in case a trade came up, since he was one of our most tradeable assets. But after that, I think he should have gotten minutes. The guy is still under contract with us. We are squandering him as an asset and could be stuck with an unhappy version of him next year.
I really wanted him to be good, but it’s quite possible that he’s just not. Also, our crappy play didn’t really leave margin for development time.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I was really optimistic about Little too, disappointed he hasn't worked out so far. Still young and on a good contract, maybe he's a tradeable asset but I was hoping he'd be that Reid/Ellis kind of energy 3-D guy for us.

Carno

Post by Carno »

Nas showed very Little when he played, particularly after he was hurt. The Suns were right to keep him on the bench. The emergence of Bol, the acquisition of O'neale, and the need to solidify the rotation squeezed him out. I feel he could still develop into a useful piece. Maybe with an off season to work with the team/coaching staff, he can improve into a rotation player for next season.

Split T

Post by Split T »

There were some flashes with Nas…depending on what the roster looks like next year, I would like to see us give him some run early on to see if he can put it together.

He also kept getting hurt

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:48 am
There were some flashes with Nas…depending on what the roster looks like next year, I would like to see us give him some run early on to see if he can put it together.

He also kept getting hurt
Definitely some Little flashes. Even in garbage time he's inconsistent. I'd hope they take that seriously. But I haven't given up on him yet. He's shown some athleticism and a decent shot at times.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."