Game Day - Playoff Edition - Game 2: Suns (0-1) @ Wolves (1-0), Tues 4/23/24

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
TOO

Re: Game Day - Playoff Edition - Game 2: Suns (0-1) @ Wolves (1-0), Tues 4/23/24

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:12 am
TOO wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:00 pm
Kryptonic wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:59 pm
Vogel couldn’t coach himself out of a wet paper bag.
But he won a title, how is this possible?
Two words: LeBron, Davis.
Never heard of em.

Mori Chu

Re: Game Day - Playoff Edition - Game 2: Suns (0-1) @ Wolves (1-0), Tues 4/23/24

Post by Mori Chu »

Not enough has been said in this thread about how much Jaden McDaniels absolutely cooked us last night. He was exceptional on both ends of the floor. I was really surprised; I didn't know he had that in him. He outplayed KD and helped keep the Wolves in the game during stretches where both KAT and Ant were resting or sitting with foul trouble. Don't think Minny would have won without his play. If he plays like this all series, it's over for us. Hopefully he's worse away from home.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

If Frank or the big 3 are on this roster at the beginning of next year I'll also be tuning out then as well. This team is a complete dead end and needs to be retooled or rebuilt. I'm not super confidence in Jones being able to do that with the limited amount of resources he has anyway.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

iLLmatic wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:40 am
If Frank or the big 3 are on this roster at the beginning of next year I'll also be tuning out then as well. This team is a complete dead end and needs to be retooled or rebuilt. I'm not super confidence in Jones being able to do that with the limited amount of resources he has anyway.
I'm there. I need a new coach and KD gone at the very least.

I'm so done with his bitch ass. As much as I hated CP3 before we acquired him, he was great for our organization until he got old.

KD has quickly become my least favorite star acquisition ever. Worse than Shaq who tried hard and things just didn't work out.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I do not want to watch a Frank Vogel led team with KD on it. Both need to be shown the door, if not Booker with them

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

The series is not over yet. But any title hopes certainly are.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

TOO

Post by TOO »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:44 am
I do not want to watch a Frank Vogel led team with KD on it. Both need to be shown the door, if not Booker with them
I do not believe that KD is an issue, he's been the most consistent player the Suns has on both ends.

It's Vogel, it's always been Vogel and I believe that the players are tuning him out. They never wanted him, they wanted KY, and this feels more like a mutiny than anything.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya I think we’ll see a coaching change and run it back. I could see trying to replace Nurk…Think Book/Beal/KD are staying…if we suck again next year I could see a deadline blow up

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

TOO wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:23 pm
specialsauce wrote:
I do not believe that KD is an issue, he's been the most consistent player the Suns has on both ends.

It's Vogel, it's always been Vogel and I believe that the players are tuning him out. They never wanted him, they wanted KY, and this feels more like a mutiny than anything.
Agreed but that's surely the problem. You can make a case that KD (as a two time champion) has earned the right to have a say over who is brought in as coach, but Booker hasn't done anything to warrant having a say. I also question why they were so desperate to have a rookie coach that hasn't been able to land another NBA coaching job despite several applications over the past year and who is now leaving the league? Did they just want an easy ride or did they truly believe he was the one to coach them to a championship? I have to think it was the former based on what we've seen this year.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

TOO wrote: I do not believe that KD is an issue, he's been the most consistent player the Suns has on both ends.

Split T wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:32 pm
Ya I think we’ll see a coaching change and run it back. I could see trying to replace Nurk…Think Book/Beal/KD are staying…if we suck again next year I could see a deadline blow up
This. +1

You can’t tell me that replacing the corpse of Chris Paul and Osama bin Shamet with Bradley Beal wasn’t an upgrade.

You can’t tell me trading a checked out Ayton for Grayson Allen and Nurk wasn’t a good trade.

Replacing our not in the NBA anymore bench with actual NBA rotation players in EG, Royce and Bol wasn’t a huge improvement.

Our god awful regression makes no fucking sense.

It only starts to make sense when you realize our head coach isn’t actually a good head coach.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Eubanks has been a bit of a downgrade, unfortunately. And the stars haven't played like stars when we've needed them to. And, don't get me started on the turnovers...ugh.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

TOO wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

But why would they decide to not win a championship just because they didn’t like the coaching hire? Why would they sabotage the season instead of trying to win (for Booker) their first ever title?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:02 am
Split T wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:28 pm
What a dumb play by Booker
Has a player ever lost favor so quickly? Something is seriously wrong with him.

I had an intense packing day but DirecTV did me a favor as I close the door on a long history with them. The game didn't record for whatever reason. When I turned on the TV and discovered it wasn't recording, I put on the game and it was the last three minutes of the third quarter. Apparently the Suns had actually been ahead but the Wolves were on a big run to retake the lead. Anyway, I got to watch as the Wolves lead continue to grow.

Somewhere in the 4th quarter Booker pissed me off SO bad. The clock was running down so what does he do? Pass it to a covered Eubanks in the lane. What the F happened to the aggressive Booker that made tough shots. It was the stupidest decision imaginable with the shot clock running out. SHOOT THE DAMN BALL YOU FRICKIN' IDIOT!!!

Okay, deep breaths, it's moving day. I'll be in Arizona soon. I'll be watching Game 3 in Phoenix. I don't know what to expect but I sure wouldn't be surprised to see us go down 0-3. This team has lost their heart. Specifically Booker. It appears that Durant is a bad influence. You can't blame coaching for what we're seeing on the court unless they are being forced to play one-on-one basketball which I can't imagine is what Vogel draws up every play. Timberwolves are playing team basketball. We are not. That's the difference.
That play confused the hell out of me.

TOO

Post by TOO »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:29 pm
TOO wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

But why would they decide to not win a championship just because they didn’t like the coaching hire? Why would they sabotage the season instead of trying to win (for Booker) their first ever title?
Brother if I could answer that I'd be a millionaire. Why did they quit on Monty last year? Players are sensitive babies.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wally_West wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:53 pm

I think most of us are finally on the fire Frank train but, this probably won’t be a popular opinion because it’s little scapegoaty but I really think most of bullshit this year comes down to the fact that Vogel is just a shitty coach. It really is just the Terry Porter situation all over again. Except we are seeing what would’ve played out if we kept him the whole year instead of ditching him at all star break.

I get there’s flaws on the roster, but you just can’t tell me we’re this bad with 3 of the best players in the league. I know what we’ve seen from Book and KD, and it honestly feels like this team has quit on Frank and he lost the locker room a long time ago.

We need our Alvin Gentry. Maybe Kevin young was him? Lol. Probably not but we can’t continue with a coach that so clearly over his head. I don’t who that is but it just so fucking clear that Frank needs to go.
You really think Vogel insists that they don't play team ball? Insists we iso every time down? And don't work for offensive rebounds? When do the players become accountable?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:58 pm
The basketball gods do not like when fans chant this, if I recall correctly.

Yep, heard that and thought to myself, OK, been there, done that. We'll see how it works out for you. (Probably fine in this case.)

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Furlanfufi wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:11 pm
We're worse this year than last. When we had Shamet, Landale and Payne playing on the playoffs.

No effing way this is not on coaching.
That's what I'm saying.

ETA: Sorry misread it. That's not what I'm saying. Coaching doesn't excuse this kind of behavior.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wally_West wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:37 pm

Ugh
I hope he sees them.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:48 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:50 pm
So this is a funny / cringey pair of videos of Eubanks botching post moves. But I do think the tweet misses the point. You don't sign a minimum salary backup center and then expect him to carry your offense with his crazy post moves. That isn't what Eubanks is good at. He's quite good at setting screens and rolling to the basket and finishing with a dunk; he did this 2-3 times tonight, often with KD. He isn't a man blessed with a wide array of graceful post moves, but we're paying him like $20 a game and he's our backup center. If he had great post moves, he wouldn't have been available for a minimum deal this offseason.

The bigger point is, your team's offense shouldn't be so shitty that you end up desperately throwing it into the post to Drew freaking Eubanks with a few seconds left on the shot clock, hoping for him to bail you out with a post move. That's on the rest of the team to run a good offense and get a better shot than that.
It says more about Booker for passing the ball to him with the shot clock running out. Dude lost his mojo.

"Be Legendary."