2024 Suns Offseason: Where do we go from here?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
iLLmatic

Re: 2024 Suns Offseason: Where do we go from here?

Post by iLLmatic »

TOO wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:50 pm
Kryptonic wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:43 pm
It's going to be a loooooonnngg offseason :(
It's gonna be awful.

Other teams in better positions than the Suns have the ammo to get even better while the Suns are stuck staring at themselves in the mirror.
I mean is it really going to be any worse than the 2023-2024 season? We’re hardened from that now.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

iLLmatic wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:50 pm
TOO wrote:
Kryptonic wrote:
It's gonna be awful.

Other teams in better positions than the Suns have the ammo to get even better while the Suns are stuck staring at themselves in the mirror.
I mean is it really going to be any worse than the 2023-2024 season? We’re hardened from that now.
It's only up from here boys!
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:45 am
Superbone wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:05 am
OK, to me, our biggest issue is defense and rebounding. That should be our priority in the offseason. Obviously we are lacking size with girth and maneuverability. We needed what the Mavs got at the deadline. We couldn't stop anybody. It felt like most teams scored every time down the court. Whether on the first, second, or third opportunity due to our poor defensive rebounding.

Also, we need a better offense designed around our firepower. The one-on-one shit has got to go! Move the ball. Get open shots. Also, the point guard thing. We need better ball handling and better decision making. Allow our superstars to be superstars. Don't give them double duty handling the ball.

I liked our offense under Monty until KD arrived. That's when all the one-on-one stuff started. We need a big upgrade on our offensive sets and our defensive personnel and strategies.

That's my two cents. And unfortunately, that's about what Ishbia and Co have to work with.
Lebron is going to make us slower and less athletic. He's not what we need. We need speed and D, two things which he no longer has. We'll get killed on the defensive end once they send us in rotations.

We need a PJ Washington and a Mike Conley.

I also really don't want Nurk starting. He plays too panicked and exacerbates our turnover issues trying to do too much. I wouldn't mind him off the bench or trading him for more of a dunk and D type center
Why are you telling me? I didn't mention LeBron once.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

iLLmatic wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:50 pm
TOO wrote:
Kryptonic wrote:
It's gonna be awful.

Please no!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

LeBron is slow and unathletic? When did that happen? And what are better options at this point?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

LeBron is 10 times better than anyone we could get at the minimum. Anyone that doesn’t want him is just a hater.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'll be shocked if LeBron signs for the minimum anywhere unless it's with a team that drafted his son.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Oh I agree, it’s just the only way he can come here

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:25 pm
LeBron is slow and unathletic? When did that happen? And what are better options at this point?
Defensively? Yes. Lebron stopped playing defense a few years ago.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:32 pm
LeBron is 10 times better than anyone we could get at the minimum. Anyone that doesn’t want him is just a hater.
:roll:

It's that same thinking that got us Beal.

It's about roster construction. We badly need more players willing to do the dirty work- hustle their ass off, high energy, athletic and long. We don't need more players that are ball dependent and rely on others defensively and for the intangibles.

Sure Lebron can distribute. But say goodbye to any chance of keeping opponents under 130 ppg trotting out a lineup of Book-Beal-KD-Bron. And dont you dare say "quite frankly idk how people are going to guard us," like Booker did this off-season.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

I am going to say it: the Suns mortgaged their future for a Durant who is looking like a bust. But there isn't much you can do now, every resource has been spent. So, you might as well roll the dice with a LeBron experiment. Key will be a Tyronne Lue on the sidelines.

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

virtual9mm wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:51 pm
I am going to say it: the Suns mortgaged their future for a Durant who is looking like a bust. But there isn't much you can do now, every resource has been spent. So, you might as well roll the dice with a LeBron experiment. Key will be a Tyronne Lue on the sidelines.
I don't know that I'd call KD a bust, I think we along with the rest of the league have finally realised that he's an elite complimentary piece who isn't going to lead you to a championship unless he has the talent around him to cover his flaws.

I wouldn't be averse to bringing LeBron in but my concern would be defence - we wouldn't be able to defend anyone with 2 starters over 35. My preference would be a serviceable pass first PG who can play defence.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

SunsSince92 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:07 pm
virtual9mm wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:51 pm
I don't know that I'd call KD a bust, I think we along with the rest of the league have finally realised that he's an elite complimentary piece who isn't going to lead you to a championship unless he has the talent around him to cover his flaws.

I wouldn't be averse to bringing LeBron in but my concern would be defence - we wouldn't be able to defend anyone with 2 starters over 35. My preference would be a serviceable pass first PG who can play defence.
Do both, get LeBron and get a decent starting PG.

Split T

Post by Split T »

LeBron is your pg…he can play defense when he needs to. The truth is though that with Beal and Book this teams perimeter defense is never going to be great. They need to go all in on offense. You can get a backup pg that can defend(Kris Dunn).

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Yes, I actually think you could run Beal and Booker alongside LeBron but you need someone for when he sits.

I'm really upset, TBH. That Durant trade was a colossal overpay and the Suns are screwed for a decade. The only hope was to win so much that you'd get FAs to come play below cost. But this ain't happening.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

virtual9mm wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 6:26 am

I'm really upset, TBH. That Durant trade was a colossal overpay and the Suns are screwed for a decade. The only hope was to win so much that you'd get FAs to come play below cost. But this ain't happening.
Totally feel ya on this…. Thats why I say our only option is to blow it up or trade booker. Running it back is insanity.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

What could the Knicks offer that would make us say yes to a trade? Randall and Brunson would answer 2 big problems.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Brunson is untouchable

BigLewy

Post by BigLewy »

Send KD back to the Warriors? Wiggins, Kuminga and CP3's deal (to get us out of cap hell) for KD and filler? Trading KD is the only realistic chance at improving the team overall, unless some team REALLY wants Beal, and he would waive his NTC.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

BigLewy wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 7:02 am
Send KD back to the Warriors? Wiggins, Kuminga and CP3's deal (to get us out of cap hell) for KD and filler? Trading KD is the only realistic chance at improving the team overall, unless some team REALLY wants Beal, and he would waive his NTC.
I don't think that trade makes us better. Booker would be furious if we traded KD for that puu-puu platter.