2024 Suns Offseason: Where do we go from here?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Gladiator

Re: 2024 Suns Offseason: Where do we go from here?

Post by Gladiator »

Jones: I think we have more than enough (options) to build around the margins (to get better).

TOO

Post by TOO »

Setting the scene for running it back while trying to fix the margins probably using whatever draft picks they can trade.

Welp.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

TOO wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 3:22 pm
Setting the scene for running it back while trying to fix the margins probably using whatever draft picks they can trade.

Welp.
100% that was my impression

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I’ve only seen his responses and not the whole presser but Ishbia doesn’t seem to understand that it’s not that we’re disappointed that the Suns didn’t win a title, it’s how we didn’t win the title.

This team was listless, disjointed, inconsistent, showed no grit, had bad vibes, played an outdated offensive style and addressed none of their game 2 issues by game 82. And then they went out with an appropriate whimper.

This isn’t the scenario where a group of warriors just came up short and their close loss will be the fuel that galvanizes them and finally brings home a title. This is the “insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results” scenario.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 3:47 pm
I’ve only seen his responses and not the whole presser but Ishbia doesn’t seem to understand that it’s not that we’re disappointed that the Suns didn’t win a title, it’s how we didn’t win the title.

This team was listless, disjointed, inconsistent, showed no grit, had bad vibes, played an outdated offensive style and addressed none of their game 2 issues by game 82. And then they went out with an appropriate whimper.

This isn’t the scenario where a group of warriors just came up short and their close loss will be the fuel that galvanizes them and finally brings home a title. This is the “insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results” scenario.
Prepare to go insane.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Sounds like that 2 year project I thought I read somewhere is valid. Ishbia's painted himself into that corner in a lot of ways, but I'm not surprised by his comments today.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

3TheHardaway

Post by 3TheHardaway »

If we trot out a starting lineup with 3 shooting guards 6'5" and under again, none of whom who can handle physical defensive assignment, with KD at the 4, we will have learned nothing. There's no way they could have watched this team for 86 games and felt that the only missing ingredient was continuity. Much like Frank Vogel talking up DA, I'm want to believe this is also just diplomacy to not tip their hand at their plans.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’m not surprised in the least by any of this. We clearly were just going to run it back…no other real options

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 4:27 pm
Sounds like that 2 year project I thought I read somewhere is valid. Ishbia's painted himself into that corner in a lot of ways, but I'm not surprised by his comments today.
100%. No need to catastrophize. Barring any major injury, Suns are sitting on at least 3 players worth draft capital and youth (KD, Book, and Allen). Ishbia and Co. went out and spent a lot of $ and resources on this roster. It follows to see it through. I don’t want to watch the offense underperform either as it did this year but I’m curious to see if it will improve greatly in year 2.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Gladiator wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 2:44 pm
Listening to ishbia’s media conference now: “we’re in a great position now, we’ll be in a great position next year. Championship or bust, this wasn’t bust.”
Then what was it? Because it certainly wasn’t a championship!
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The presser was kind of a joke. Ishbia got up there to tell everyone he had nothing to say about the team, Jones didn't exactly inspire confidence with some of his views. I think the team is better than it showed this year and I think they believe that too. I don't know how you bring back Vogel expecting anything to change and even if everything were to "click", is this a championship core?

TOO

Post by TOO »

ShelC wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 6:16 pm
The presser was kind of a joke. Ishbia got up there to tell everyone he had nothing to say about the team, Jones didn't exactly inspire confidence with some of his views. I think the team is better than it showed this year and I think they believe that too. I don't know how you bring back Vogel expecting anything to change and even if everything were to "click", is this a championship core?
I do not feel confident in this off-season.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The thing I keep coming back to is, this past offseason everybody thought we were going to be a dominant superteam, so a bunch of FAs came to us on minimum contracts. You can criticize the way a lot of them played, but fact is we nabbed several guys at the minimum who came hoping for a shot at a title. Then we had too many guys, didn't play several of them, traded several others, etc. and ultimately lost horribly in a first round sweep. This offseason, guys aren't going to sign here cheap expecting a title run. We're going to fill out the roster with worse guys. Guys chasing a ring for the minimum are going to sign with teams like Boston, Denver, or OKC.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 7:42 pm
The thing I keep coming back to is, this past offseason everybody thought we were going to be a dominant superteam, so a bunch of FAs came to us on minimum contracts. You can criticize the way a lot of them played, but fact is we nabbed several guys at the minimum who came hoping for a shot at a title. Then we had too many guys, didn't play several of them, traded several others, etc. and ultimately lost horribly in a first round sweep. This offseason, guys aren't going to sign here cheap expecting a title run. We're going to fill out the roster with worse guys. Guys chasing a ring for the minimum are going to sign with teams like Boston, Denver, or OKC.
I think EG is the only title chasing signee we got

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

The fact that they're keeping Vogel in the chair is an embarrassment. How much chaos, confusion, inconsistency, inability to adapt does an owner have to see to understand...THE COACH IS A PROBLEM? This is a The Emperor is FRIGGING NAKED moment!!! Ishiba, if you're reading the boards, YOU ARE AN IDIOT! You have to know when its time to cut bait...guess when that is??? NOW!!! Vogel SUCKS and has LOST this team!!!!

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

So much of what Jones says in media appearances is nonsense.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

He's always been like that. It's very Clutch Sports.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 7:33 am
It’s all just for fun anyways, I don’t think we are trading any of Book, KD, and Beal
Speak for yourself. :P
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 7:46 am
I just don’t share the same defensive concerns as you. We were 13th in defense this year. The defense wasn’t the problem against Minny…the offense sucked and when we started to slip we let go of the rope and let Minny go crazy.

LeBron plays defense in the playoffs. The Lakers held the nuggets to well below their regular season offensive efficiency. I can’t believe I’m having to argue why LeBron James at the vet min would be good for this team.
The defense wasn't a problem against Minny?! Are you freakin' kidding me?! They scored every time down the court.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."