2024 Suns Offseason: Where do we go from here?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: 2024 Suns Offseason: Where do we go from here?

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Yeah, defense and rebounding were clearly the Suns biggest issues to me.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think that talk about "We didn't use KD correctly" was more directed at KD himself. The FO is trying to signal to KD that we'll try to use him better next year so he doesn't stay mad. He's likely been leaking some of these negative stories to the media this week and they don't want him to get upset and stay mad all summer.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TOO wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 4:17 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 3:47 pm
I’ve only seen his responses and not the whole presser but Ishbia doesn’t seem to understand that it’s not that we’re disappointed that the Suns didn’t win a title, it’s how we didn’t win the title.

This team was listless, disjointed, inconsistent, showed no grit, had bad vibes, played an outdated offensive style and addressed none of their game 2 issues by game 82. And then they went out with an appropriate whimper.

This isn’t the scenario where a group of warriors just came up short and their close loss will be the fuel that galvanizes them and finally brings home a title. This is the “insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results” scenario.
Prepare to go insane.
Can't wait!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 10:15 pm
Yup. 100%

"Be Legendary."

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Superbone wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 10:33 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Yup. 100%
Not to be a contrarian but do you both mean their consistent offense meltdowns didn’t stand out as a bigger issue than D and rebounding? They were 13th in the league on D. They performed better on D than I expected. That they kept turning over the ball made their defense worse.
Last edited by Drewsprocket on Wed May 01, 2024 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

The presser was just a smokescreen. You can't read much into the comments from either guy. Ishbia would be mad to back himself into a corner by committing to Jones, Vogel or the players when the post season is in full flow and different options may become available depending on how they pan out.

Does Jones really think Vogel did a great job or is he just trying to vindicate his decision to hire him? It's purely a political move to try to convince Ishbia that he is making the right decisions and is capable of remaining in the role of GM.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 11:04 pm
Superbone wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Yup. 100%
Not to be a contrarian but do you both mean their consistent offense meltdowns didn’t stand out as a bigger issue than D and rebounding? They were 13th in the league on D. They performed better on D than I expected. That they kept turning over the ball made their defense worse.
We are talking specifically about the Suns/Wolves playoff series. 16 teams make the playoffs so 13th isn't so hot (not to mention that it is a regular season stat) and they couldn't stop the Wolves to save their lives. On the rare occasions they did stop them, the Wolves would get an offensive rebound, or two, and score anyway. So, those two things stood out as our biggest two issues. We scored at a decent clip in spite of the Wolves excellent defense.

"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The only way the Suns were able to compete in Game 4 was because they actually hit shots.

The Suns had no chance of outright stopping the Wolves, they had to outscore them and get some lucky breaks with Wolves errors to have a chance of winning any game in the series.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Wrote a lot of stuff, just braindumping so putting a spoiler on it but TL;DR- Vogel should be fired but might not be; the roster probably stays the same; we should've played better and I think a large part of that was due to coaching; we gotta get back to rebuilding thru the draft.

Spoiler: show/hide

Carno

Post by Carno »

Suns press conference went as expected. Continuity is the only option that provides a chance at competing for a championship next season. Everything else is a step back, including a coaching change.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 10:24 pm
I think that talk about "We didn't use KD correctly" was more directed at KD himself. The FO is trying to signal to KD that we'll try to use him better next year so he doesn't stay mad. He's likely been leaking some of these negative stories to the media this week and they don't want him to get upset and stay mad all summer.
That's exactly what I was thinking too.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 10:09 pm
Split T wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 7:46 am
I just don’t share the same defensive concerns as you. We were 13th in defense this year. The defense wasn’t the problem against Minny…the offense sucked and when we started to slip we let go of the rope and let Minny go crazy.

LeBron plays defense in the playoffs. The Lakers held the nuggets to well below their regular season offensive efficiency. I can’t believe I’m having to argue why LeBron James at the vet min would be good for this team.
The defense wasn't a problem against Minny?! Are you freakin' kidding me?! They scored every time down the court.
Wasn’t the problem. Of course it was a problem. Everything was a problem. But the offense had a 110 offensive rating for the series. It doesn’t matter how good your defense is, you’re not beating anyone with that level of offense.

Our pace dropped, turnovers went up, 3pt attempt rate dropped(lowest in the playoffs), our efg% dropped big time, and so did our offensive rebound %. We got less possessions, took worse shots, and made them at a much lower rate than the regular season. The only good thing we did was get to the ft line.

The defense wasn’t good either, but we knew the defense wasn’t good coming in. Still, Minny actually had a more efg% against us than they did in the regular season. Their offense was buoyed by an insane orb%(they got almost 40% of their own misses) and they also got to the ft line a bunch.

Rebounding I think can be considered the problem, we got obliterated 185-130 on the boards for the series. Other big problems were increased turnovers, not shooting 3s, not making shots, and spiraling out of control once the game started to slip away.

I don’t lump rebounding into defense. I thought our defense was to be expected in defending the first action. We could have won the series defending like we did if we rebounded the ball, didn’t turn it over, and took more 3s.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 4:18 am
Wrote a lot of stuff, just braindumping so putting a spoiler on it but TL;DR- Vogel should be fired but might not be; the roster probably stays the same; we should've played better and I think a large part of that was due to coaching; we gotta get back to rebuilding thru the draft.

I wouldn’t get your hopes up on the draft stuff. JJ doesn’t really believe in the draft and it seems Ishbia lines up in those beliefs. We’ll be trading our pick probably every year.
Last edited by Split T on Thu May 02, 2024 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 11:41 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 11:04 pm
Superbone wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Yup. 100%
We are talking specifically about the Suns/Wolves playoff series. 16 teams make the playoffs so 13th isn't so hot (not to mention that it is a regular season stat) and they couldn't stop the Wolves to save their lives. On the rare occasions they did stop them, the Wolves would get an offensive rebound, or two, and score anyway. So, those two things stood out as our biggest two issues. We scored at a decent clip in spite of the Wolves excellent defense.
We scored at an awful clip(our offensive rating was lower than the Wizards. Would have been 25th in the league) and we did stop the wolves first shot a lot. We gave up a crazy amount of offensive rebounds.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 8:12 am
ShelC wrote:

I wouldn’t get your hopes up on the draft stuff. JJ doesn’t really believe in the draft and it seems Ishbia lines up in those beliefs. We’ll be trading our pick probably every year.
I don't know about that. I think we fully intended to keep Camara this season. (But I don't claim to have a photographic memory.)

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 8:33 am
Split T wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 8:12 am
ShelC wrote:

I don't know about that. I think we fully intended to keep Camara this season. (But I don't claim to have a photographic memory.)
Fair, I should’ve said 1st round picks. JJ does seem to like finding unknown guys in the draft.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I wouldn't be surprised if we moved the pick or any picks we have, I just hate that we'll do it. I think Camara could've been a help to us and would like to see more picks like him, Cam and Mikal. Doesn't make sense that just because we have a 2-3 year window that we can't draft anyone to help now and later.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya I would like to utilize the draft as well, just don’t think James Jones views it that way.

Carno

Post by Carno »

I think they keep the pick and the player they pick. It is one of the few ways to add salary; in this case: $2,562,200 in the first year. They need players to send to the new g league team if nothing else.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I hope you’re right…I think we’re gonna try and attach it to Nurk or Little to get a better player.