2024 Suns Offseason: Where do we go from here?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Scarecrow33

Re: 2024 Suns Offseason: Where do we go from here?

Post by Scarecrow33 »

This team should have been dominant at least occasionally. I don't remember them dominating anybody. You could argue they dominated Minnesota but we now know that was vapor. The problems this team had in October they still had 2 nights ago. They kept selling us on, "Well the Big 3 has not had enough time together yet." and we bought it for lack of another explanation that made more sense.

I have no idea how to improve this team given the restrictions the FO has to work with.

I may have to switch to hockey for my winter sport for a few years. At least there's the Coyotes, in Salt Lake City. :roll:

TOO

Post by TOO »

TOO

Post by TOO »

There's your PG that can shoot it, rebound it and uh pretty much anything else you need. πŸ˜‚

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

TOO wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:43 am
There's your PG that can shoot it, rebound it and uh pretty much anything else you need. πŸ˜‚
Get some new edibles? j/k

Usually it's an eye roll when you talk about bringing in old stars, but he's just different. I'd take him in a heartbeat if it was possible but just don't see that happening.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Kryptonic wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:46 am

Usually it's an eye roll when you talk about bringing in old stars, but he's just different. I'd take him in a heartbeat if it was possible but just don't see that happening.
He'd have to sign for the minimum, so unless he's willing to do a favor for Jones, there is no shot. I do think KD and Booker will be in his ear during the Olympics, but I don't expect much.

Split T

Post by Split T »

LeBron is our only hope

Split T

Post by Split T »

Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:50 am

He'd have to sign for the minimum, so unless he's willing to do a favor for Jones, there is no shot. I do think KD and Booker will be in his ear during the Olympics, but I don't expect much.
Olympics are after free agency though.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Eh... He's got enough money. Money shouldn't factor into it. He just wants another championship.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

isn't the draft the most important factor? The suns would HAVE to take Bronny.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Split T wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:51 am

The camp starts in June I believe is FA done by then?

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:56 am

Eh... He's got enough money. Money shouldn't factor into it. He just wants another championship.
I wonder how much stock he'd put into potentially getting 2 teams their first ever championship.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:58 am
Split T wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:51 am

The camp starts in June I believe is FA done by then?
Didn’t know that, ya that’s before FA

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

OK, to me, our biggest issue is defense and rebounding. That should be our priority in the offseason. Obviously we are lacking size with girth and maneuverability. We needed what the Mavs got at the deadline. We couldn't stop anybody. It felt like most teams scored every time down the court. Whether on the first, second, or third opportunity due to our poor defensive rebounding.

Also, we need a better offense designed around our firepower. The one-on-one shit has got to go! Move the ball. Get open shots. Also, the point guard thing. We need better ball handling and better decision making. Allow our superstars to be superstars. Don't give them double duty handling the ball.

I liked our offense under Monty until KD arrived. That's when all the one-on-one stuff started. We need a big upgrade on our offensive sets and our defensive personnel and strategies.

That's my two cents. And unfortunately, that's about what Ishbia and Co have to work with.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'd take Lebron + Bronny in a heartbeat; that would cure about 80% of the ills of this team right there. I don't even care if Lebron needs to spend a chunk of the season resting or injuried, he'd be such a crazy bandaid for this team that it'd be worth it. And we have only 1-2 years of window left anyway, so I wouldn't be worried about his age.

But I don't think Lebron would go for it. I don't think he would be able to picture himself playing in Phoenix after the career he's had. My guess is he'd rather either stay with the Lakers (1st choice) or else go to another high-profile team in a big market, like maybe the Knicks. My guess is he wants to stay in LA and is just opting out as a way of exerting influence on the Lakers. "Pick Bronny or else I leave." And he'll not-so-quietly put the word out that no other team is to draft Bronny. He'll scare them all off.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

And regarding Ishbia, it seems to me that this is already out in the open just by what has happened since he took the reins. He threw money at the Suns with a disregard to team building. Nabbing KD while gutting our team and future was not a smart move. And then grabbing all those min FAs which we also all thought were great additions at the time. So many didn't work out well. Eubanks, Watanabe, Bates-Diop, Azubuike, Metu, and Goodwin all come to mind.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

There was a post on Suns reddit arguing that we should have kept our previous bench guys like Cam Payne, Torrey Craig, and Jock Landale. I somewhat agree. The one I think we missed the most of those guys was Torrey Craig. I also think keeping Bismack Biyombo was a no-brainer and that he would have been better here than Bol Bol overall. Cam Payne might have been nice, but he was kind of a knucklehead who plowed to the basket without looking for the open man, and he was due to cost us like $25m in tax penalties to keep him.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Landale got $8M/yr. Would you have paid that to keep him?

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

I suppose I don't see the situation as dire as some of the news media is making it out to be. I'm mostly fine with running it back, but I think Vogel, KD, Book, and Beal all need to sit down and have a candid conversation of what is working and what isn't. I don't think this is too dissimilar of a situation that what happened in Miami in LeBron's first year with Wade, Bosh, and Spolestra. I'm also not opposed to bringing in someone like Lue if he's available. But generally, our offensive sets were unimaginative and we need to give Book an opportunity to not be the facilitator. I'll never understand why we didn't run more "Spain" sets with our current personnel...they just seem built for it.

So I do think we need a PG, and I'm hoping that barring a miracle like LeBron coming here, we can find a way to get someone like McConnell/Dinwiddie/Brogdon here to handle the ball-handling.

We need a backup big with a better basketball IQ than Eubanks. Or maybe Eubanks' poor play was a result of coaching? I swear he was a better player in Portland. In any case, I think we can find a serviceable young big through the draft. Or I liked what Alex Len did on the Kings this year, and I think he could be brought back on a minimum deal.

A more typical power forward... this is the toughest spot to fill and I don't think I have a good solution here, but I feel like there are opportunities that can present themselves if we're proactive. Is there something creative we could do to get like Tobias Harris? Jeff Green?

Anyways, I just don't think we're in as bad a shape as it seems things are being portrayed.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:05 am
OK, to me, our biggest issue is defense and rebounding. That should be our priority in the offseason. Obviously we are lacking size with girth and maneuverability. We needed what the Mavs got at the deadline. We couldn't stop anybody. It felt like most teams scored every time down the court. Whether on the first, second, or third opportunity due to our poor defensive rebounding.

Also, we need a better offense designed around our firepower. The one-on-one shit has got to go! Move the ball. Get open shots. Also, the point guard thing. We need better ball handling and better decision making. Allow our superstars to be superstars. Don't give them double duty handling the ball.

I liked our offense under Monty until KD arrived. That's when all the one-on-one stuff started. We need a big upgrade on our offensive sets and our defensive personnel and strategies.

That's my two cents. And unfortunately, that's about what Ishbia and Co have to work with.
Lebron is going to make us slower and less athletic. He's not what we need. We need speed and D, two things which he no longer has. We'll get killed on the defensive end once they send us in rotations.

We need a PJ Washington and a Mike Conley.

I also really don't want Nurk starting. He plays too panicked and exacerbates our turnover issues trying to do too much. I wouldn't mind him off the bench or trading him for more of a dunk and D type center

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:05 am
OK, to me, our biggest issue is defense and rebounding. That should be our priority in the offseason. Obviously we are lacking size with girth
So you want to sign Serge Ibaka?