Around the League: September

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Around the League: September

Post by carey »

Not much going on right now, but maybe we'll see a trade or two before training camp opens.

Also, according to Grantland, Blatche is making $1Million to play for the Filipino national team. Not $20Million.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

INFORMER

Re: Around the League: September

Post by INFORMER »

This autor isn't buying Josh Smith's new-found commitment to interior play:
For the record 44.5 percent of Smith’s shot attempts came from beyond 16 feet — he loves the long two and the above the arc three. He just can’t hit those shots. He’s a beast in close but fancies himself a stretch four.

It has been that way for years despite annual promises things will be different. So understand my skepticism when Smith told the Pistons’ official Web site he has bulked up so he can play inside more this season.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... iiiiiight/
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Spurs trying to see how many Phoenix Suns underachievers they can win a championship with:
Free-agent forward Earl Clark, who followed up a breakthrough year with the Lakers by bouncing between the Cavaliers and Knicks last year, will be working out this week for the defending champion Spurs, a source told Sporting News. Clark is in San Antonio today and will be there through Wednesday.
http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2 ... um=twitter

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Dudley hopes to rebound from down year:
Dudley referred to the No. 2 overall pick in the June draft and said he looks forward to mentoring some of the young Bucks players.

But he also made it clear he wants to return to a productive level after a disappointing single season with the Clippers.

Dudley averaged 6.9 points in 74 games with Los Angeles, his lowest total since his first season in Phoenix in 2008-'09 when he averaged 5.5. He shot 36% from three-point range, also his lowest mark since that season.

Injuries plagued Dudley as he developed tendinitis in his right knee last August and later strained the patellar tendon in his left knee during the season.

"I remember around November or December I basically told coach (Doc) Rivers I couldn't go," Dudley said. "We had so many injuries. J.J. (Redick) was out; Matt Barnes was out. Basically he (Rivers) wanted me to fight through it.

"I told him I could; I just wouldn't be 100%. I think what I did was give him a body to hold the minutes down until those guys got back. For me personally, I might have suffered. But from the team standpoint we were able to get that three spot (playoff seeding) we needed to have.

"When you look back, would I have done it different? Maybe. But that was just me trying to give my body for a new team and a new coach."
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/bucks/ja ... 73641.html

I think Milwaukee can be a playoff team, especially with Paul George's injury. Antetokoumnpo and Parker are going to be amazing together.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

We seem to have done a great job of selling high on players lately. Not too many of our trades are coming back to haunt us.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Earl Clark ... I was happy to see him have a good season on the Lakers, but the moment he left that team I knew he was doomed again. Bad head on his shoulders and doesn't seem to be growing as a player. I doubt that even the Spurs can make something out of him at this point.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

The only reason why he struggled last year is because Cleveland played him at the 3 and ran an offensively inept scheme.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Gerald Green is a prime example of why you shouldnt write players off. Clark needs the right team.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Danilo Gallinari tells La Gazzetta dello Sport (translation via Emiliano Carchia of Sportando) that he regrets having The Steadman Clinic of Vail perform the surgery on his torn ACL in late 2012. The Nuggets small forward was expecting a relatively quick recovery, but ended up sitting out all of last season after needing additional surgeries. Gallinari referenced Russell Westbrook‘s repeat surgeries with Steadman, along with other athletes’ bumpy recoveries, as another strike against the clinic’s reputation.
http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2014/09/ones ... inari.html

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Ugh; I hate hearing about botched athletic surgeries. The idea that they are getting their bodies sliced up and that it isn't even helping them heal properly is sickening.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It looks like the co-owner of the Hawks, Bruce Levenson, is being compelled to sell his stake in the team after an email leaked out that he wrote in 2012 talking about attracting white vs. black fans.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/hawks-owne ... 27737.html

It sounds like in his email, he basically says, "The white fans are scared of the black fans. How can we change our arena environment to be more attractive to the white fans?" and discusses some possible ideas for doing so, like having less hip-hop music, more white cheerleaders, putting the arena in a "whiter" part of town, etc.

What do you guys think? Should he be forced to resign because of this email? Certainly the timing is bad, coming just a few months after the Sterling situation.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Not as ugly as the Sterling situation, but still ugly. From the excerpts I've read, it sounds like he's saying, "I don't agree with these racist attitudes, but I think we can enhance our bottom line by pandering to them." It's not a socially responsible attitude, but I can understand why it might have seemed sensible to him at the time he wrote it.

DrSublime

Post by DrSublime »

Mori Chu wrote:It looks like the co-owner of the Hawks, Bruce Levenson, is being compelled to sell his stake in the team after an email leaked out that he wrote in 2012 talking about attracting white vs. black fans.

It sounds like in his email, he basically says, "The white fans are scared of the black fans. How can we change our arena environment to be more attractive to the white fans?" and discusses some possible ideas for doing so, like having less hip-hop music, more white cheerleaders, putting the arena in a "whiter" part of town, etc.

What do you guys think? Should he be forced to resign because of this email? Certainly the timing is bad, coming just a few months after the Sterling situation.
I think he saw the 2 billion reasons to sell from the Sterling backlash and figured he'd get out in front of the story and ca$h in.
~~~~~

carey

Post by carey »

If he's being forced to sell because of this I have a problem with it. Especially since he even calls out racist behavior in the e-mail (though I've only seen excerpts as well.)

I think it should be ok to talk about the spending habits of white culture versus black culture as an owner. Especially since he seems to be saying he sees some of his fans are stereotyping other fans and he wants to know what he can do to show them the arena is actually safe. Idk....
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Cap

Post by Cap »

He is not being forced. He is voluntarily selling his stake in the team. We can only speculate about what discipline, if any, would have been coming his way.

carey

Post by carey »

Cap wrote:He is not being forced. He is voluntarily selling his stake in the team. We can only speculate about what discipline, if any, would have been coming his way.
Ah, then this seems like an excuse to get out? There could be may reasons other than this that he wants to sell.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Cap

Post by Cap »

Yes.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

DrSublime wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:It looks like the co-owner of the Hawks, Bruce Levenson, is being compelled to sell his stake in the team after an email leaked out that he wrote in 2012 talking about attracting white vs. black fans.

I think he saw the 2 billion reasons to sell from the Sterling backlash and figured he'd get out in front of the story and ca$h in.
That's what it sounds like to me too.
"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Cap wrote:He is not being forced. He is voluntarily selling his stake in the team. We can only speculate about what discipline, if any, would have been coming his way.
Plus they've put the team up for sale before.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Have you guys heard of Bol Bol, Manute Bol's 14-year-old, 6'-10" son who's a high school freshman?

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... ect-video/
"Be Legendary."