Game Day: Cavs (24-40) @ Suns (36-27) , Wed 3/12/14

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Game Day: Cavs (24-40) @ Suns (36-27) , Wed 3/12/14

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:Couldn't watch last night, my ex-wife was in the hospital with aphasia symptoms, think she might have had a small stroke (she's only 27). Sounds like it was a stinker tho.
Sorry to hear, carey.
"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:Green botched two important fastbreaks, with one particular poor finishing. Also lacked concentration in that Waiters buzzer beater three.
That three on one was horrible. Green never gives up the ball. :(
He's been a nice surprise, but complete lack of defensive effort has soured me on him. I wouldn't miss him if dealt.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

virtual9mm wrote:Thanks! Nice to be back.
It sucks that we've lost 3 in a row, but it is great to see v9 make his triumphant return! Great to see you.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Its his fault we lost! BAN HIM NAO.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

carey wrote:Could be right guys. While I'm not ready to give up the fight, that's probably the best scenario.

Couldn't watch last night, my ex-wife was in the hospital with aphasia symptoms, think she might have had a small stroke (she's only 27). Sounds like it was a stinker tho.
You're a better man than most, carey - enough said. 8-)

The above pick scenario is why I've been so conflicted about the season - we need a good pick, yet what right have I or anyone else to tell these guys to lose?

I'd gladly let Minny slide into #9 in the west, giving us something 10-13 and getting Minnesota's #14 - especially if it means resting Dragic, who's breaking down through his own admission.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

My thoughts go out to you and your gal, carey. Hope she feels a lot better soon.

carey

Post by carey »

Mori Chu wrote:My thoughts go out to you and your gal, carey. Hope she feels a lot better soon.
Not my gal, heck can't stand her most days. Still, this sucks and I have a lot of emotions about it. She's at home recuperating right now. Thanks for all the well wishes.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:My thoughts go out to you and your gal, carey. Hope she feels a lot better soon.
Not my gal, heck can't stand her most days. Still, this sucks and I have a lot of emotions about it. She's at home recuperating right now. Thanks for all the well wishes.
Yep, she's still the mother of your kids. Hang in there.
"Be Legendary."

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

I’m sorry to hear about your situation Carey, you have been one of the most stand-up posters here. I hope things get better soon.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

That blows that your ex was/is that ill. Too young for that sh!t. Hope she recovers fully ASAP.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

SwingMan wrote:The above pick scenario is why I've been so conflicted about the season - we need a good pick, yet what right have I or anyone else to tell these guys to lose?

I'd gladly let Minny slide into #9 in the west, giving us something 10-13 and getting Minnesota's #14 - especially if it means resting Dragic, who's breaking down through his own admission.
The thing is that the, say #13 is not a good pick. It's still nice and by definition better than #22, but not worth missing the playoffs, at least in my opinion. I could be ok with a top what, 5-7 pick in 2014? It is, the guys with real potential to elevate a team. Of course nobody knows the future, and there are hidden gems, etc. But still.

And sure, if it gets to the point where making the playoffs is not realistic (which could be the case pretty soon at the current pace and above all, given the current play), go for the two picks and let Minni finish ahead, if they want to. Sit Goran, Bledsoe or whatever. At that point I won't care and I'd want to take full advantage of whatever the system can give me.

But until that moment comes, to me, making the playoffs beats the crap out of improving from #21 to #14 plus whatever the Wolves do, in no small part because they do have eyes too, and are actually closer to the Pelicans than to the Mavs.

And really, it doesn't have to do with being personally attached to this team or anything like that. First, it indeed allows you to test what you have, under real stress, and man we do have a big number of question marks. The wrong answers can set the franchise back years, again.

Second, overall making the playoffs in the West, after being the best story of the year, with a player friendly coach, system, etc, puts you in a better position in the eyes of the rest of the league and its players. The difference in status is quite evident (let alone if we actually do something relevant), and quite convenient given that we can have max cap space available for the next two free agency seasons. Of course, in my personal belief.

So no, just missing the playoffs, and a best case scenario of one extra pick and a improved one won't make it ok.