Game Day: Cavs (24-40) @ Suns (36-27) , Wed 3/12/14

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: Game Day: Cavs (24-40) @ Suns (36-27) , Wed 3/12/14

Post by In2ition »

virtual9mm wrote:Lazarus mentioned a while back on PM that the Suns fit an archetype -- young, athletic team that does extremely well through the stretch run and fades the last few games of the season to barely miss the playoffs. I think that's exactly what's happening here. If the Suns lose the next few, maybe it's time to rest Dragic with an injury (he's been playing through something legitimate), give Bledsoe some rehab time to see how he looks, and give Archie/Len some development time. The goal would be to end up 10th in the West so that the Suns get two lotto picks -- their own and likely the Minnesota pick.

The good news is that teams that have followed this pattern (Dallas in 1999, Sacramento a few years later, Indiana a couple of years ago) typically develop into contenders, Denver notwithstanding. Not to mention that the Suns would still be above .500.

Mori--thanks for resurrecting the board. I've been lurking on .net the past few years and it's nice to be on board again.
Solid positive outlook.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

virtual9mm wrote:The goal would be to end up 10th in the West so that the Suns get two lotto picks -- their own and likely the Minnesota pick.
While it would be nice to be able to evaluate some of the players in a playoff context, this scenario is honestly the best thing that could happen to the Suns.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

TOO

Post by TOO »

We are really bad at defense and free throws now, man. 36 3pa is uncalled for. Bledsoe took 6 3s, not his game. Ugly team since AS break.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

What a shit game.

There's nothing that's been more consistently frustrating as a Suns fan, year after year, than our defensive rebounding issues.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Rebounding was horrible, free throw shooting was pathetic, we missed numerous bunnies, and threes were not falling. Agreed, this was a shit game from the beginning.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

virtual9mm wrote:Lazarus mentioned a while back on PM that the Suns fit an archetype -- young, athletic team that does extremely well through the stretch run and fades the last few games of the season to barely miss the playoffs. I think that's exactly what's happening here. If the Suns lose the next few, maybe it's time to rest Dragic with an injury (he's been playing through something legitimate), give Bledsoe some rehab time to see how he looks, and give Archie/Len some development time. The goal would be to end up 10th in the West so that the Suns get two lotto picks -- their own and likely the Minnesota pick.

The good news is that teams that have followed this pattern (Dallas in 1999, Sacramento a few years later, Indiana a couple of years ago) typically develop into contenders, Denver notwithstanding. Not to mention that the Suns would still be above .500.

Mori--thanks for resurrecting the board. I've been lurking on .net the past few years and it's nice to be on board again.
Good to see you, virt!
"Be Legendary."

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Thanks! Nice to be back.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

That was hard game to watch, but hey, at least Eric Bledsoe is back…

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yep, we've got to get used to the idea that there's a good chance we won't make the playoffs. I'm not counting us out but we have over achieved and it will take a very good record in the West to make it. We just don't have the firepower yet to make waves. It's crazy to see that we'd only be a half game behind Toronto for third in the East. I think next year is when we'll start to be a real factor assuming we move for a quality free agent in the off-season.
"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

1stQ = 37 points. By the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Hawes torching us.

No rebounding, no defense.

I am starting to get pissed off by Kieff and Frye's interior D. Kieff is Amare like, he just watches. Frye tries, but he is slow and weak, and for some reason I can't understand, he doesn't put his arms up.

Infinite wide open threes for Deng.

Get back too slow.

Laughted when they showed what looked like PJ's son.

Still can't make free throws.

Dragic can't defend either. Any kind of screen and he is done, and of course can't stop anyone straight 1on1.

Life support provided, once again, by 3pt.

Plums seems to have regained energy after his time off.

Refs allow too much grabbing and shoving (and of course, we are the ones being taken advantage of).

Late in the third they seemed to take notice and started to call less loose.

Green botched two important fastbreaks, with one particular poor finishing. Also lacked concentration in that Waiters buzzer beater three.

Hornacek should have called a timeout right at the start of the 4Q. After two possessions it was clear the mental lapses were back. He didn't stop it and boom, down by 12 with 10 mins left..

From there on, the game went exactly like it did the first two quarters and half.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

INFORMER wrote:
virtual9mm wrote:The goal would be to end up 10th in the West so that the Suns get two lotto picks -- their own and likely the Minnesota pick.
While it would be nice to be able to evaluate some of the players in a playoff context, this scenario is honestly the best thing that could happen to the Suns.
This scenario? Wow.

carey

Post by carey »

Could be right guys. While I'm not ready to give up the fight, that's probably the best scenario.

Couldn't watch last night, my ex-wife was in the hospital with aphasia symptoms, think she might have had a small stroke (she's only 27). Sounds like it was a stinker tho.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Wally_West wrote:That was hard game to watch, but hey, at least Eric Bledsoe is back…
9 assists, 0 turnovers doesn't suck. Very nice to see.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

carey

Post by carey »

It's kind of late in the season to turn into the team everyone thought we'd be al year.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

carey wrote:Could be right guys. While I'm not ready to give up the fight, that's probably the best scenario.

Couldn't watch last night, my ex-wife was in the hospital with aphasia symptoms, think she might have had a small stroke (she's only 27). Sounds like it was a stinker tho.
Wow, hoping for the best for your ex, man. These games seem so much less important when real life gets in the way.

carey

Post by carey »

wpmiller42 wrote: Wow, hoping for the best for your ex, man. These games seem so much less important when real life gets in the way.
Thanks so much, just spoke with her. Her speech is really slow and stuttering fairly often. CT and MRI clear and doctors seem baffled. Makes me wish Dr. House was a real thing.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Oooh, hope she feels better soon. If she got to the hospital early enough, she should be fine in the long run.

TOO

Post by TOO »

carey wrote:
wpmiller42 wrote: Wow, hoping for the best for your ex, man. These games seem so much less important when real life gets in the way.
Thanks so much, just spoke with her. Her speech is really slow and stuttering fairly often. CT and MRI clear and doctors seem baffled. Makes me wish Dr. House was a real thing.
Nooooooo.. Then she'd have some weird frog person sydrome.

Modern medicine is good, don't care what the hipsters say. Prayers go out to you and yours.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Green botched two important fastbreaks, with one particular poor finishing. Also lacked concentration in that Waiters buzzer beater three.
That three on one was horrible. Green never gives up the ball. :(
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:It's kind of late in the season to turn into the team everyone thought we'd be al year.
We'll see if the team does any soul searching. That "defense" last night was unacceptable. It can't just be PJ and nobody else stepping up defensively.
"Be Legendary."