Best Backcourt in the NBA?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Who are the best starting backcourt in the NBA?

Eric Bledsoe and Goran Dragic
58%
Steph Curry and Klay Thompson
26%
John Wall and Bradley Beal
11%
Chris Paul and JJ Redick
No votes
Ty Lawson and Arron Afflalo
No votes
Deron Williams and Joe Johnson
5%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 19

pickle

Re: Best Backcourt in the NBA?

Post by pickle »

i picked curry and thompson, but if we are talking the entire back court rotation where we have thomas, then i'd have to go with the suns. while i like wall and beal, they need to succeed for a bit longer than half a season to convince me.

here's hoping that we can better manage everyone's minutes with this loaded back court and everyone actually stays healthy.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

pickle wrote:while i like wall and beal, they need to succeed for a bit longer than half a season to convince me.
Your standards are too high. Half a season is clearly more than sufficient time to reasonably convince someone.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Someone get this man a mic.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

pickle wrote:i picked curry and thompson
I kinda feel that Thompson is getting (slightly) overrated real fast. It's an amazing shooting combo, but I just don't have any confidence that Golden State will go anywhere with those two as their best players. Both are excellent shooters, but it seems like in any given playoff series, they are going to run hot and cold.

That's an advantage Bledsoe/Dragic have: they're diverse offensive talents that can score in a variety of ways. Neither is overly reliant on their jump shot and both can get tot he rim and finish. Plus, they're better fullcourt players than Curry and Thompson.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Besides that, Curry's ankles scare the hell out of me.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

One could say the same about Dragic. Or Bledsoe's knee.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Oh I'm very concerned about Eric's knee.

pickle

Post by pickle »

INFORMER wrote:
pickle wrote:i picked curry and thompson
I kinda feel that Thompson is getting (slightly) overrated real fast. It's an amazing shooting combo, but I just don't have any confidence that Golden State will go anywhere with those two as their best players. Both are excellent shooters, but it seems like in any given playoff series, they are going to run hot and cold.

That's an advantage Bledsoe/Dragic have: they're diverse offensive talents that can score in a variety of ways. Neither is overly reliant on their jump shot and both can get tot he rim and finish. Plus, they're better fullcourt players than Curry and Thompson.
inf, i agree with your evaluation of the warriors' back court. i just think that given what those two have produced and what our duo has produced over the past year, at this point people fear the golden state combo a bit more. curry is a transcendental offensive talent but is a liability on defense, and frankly i think he shoots a bit too much... so i agree with you that our duo has a better chance at post season success than theirs. but i'm gonna take a wait and see approach to that one.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Klay is a terrific 3D player, maybe the best in the L, but until he develops more, he is just that (I still can't believe they didn't give him up to acquire Love). Curry is a monster but is also flawed to some extent. Overall, Bledsoe-Dragic is more versatile and well rounded.

Now, how about Bledsoe-Goran-IT3 vs Curry-Klay-Iggy?

pickle

Post by pickle »

i'm curious about harrison barnes' game... had they traded thompson for klove, the defense at the power forward position would've been a wash as david lee was never pegged as a powerhouse defender... so iggy would slide over to the 2, and harrison barnes would get a crack at the starting 3 spot, with draymond green backing up the 3 and 4. the fact that the trade was not made due to the potential defensive drawbacks (at least as it was portrayed in the news stories) seems to suggest more of a concern with barnes' ability to step in at the 3, or am i completely off base here?

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

pickle wrote:i'm curious about harrison barnes' game... had they traded thompson for klove, the defense at the power forward position would've been a wash as david lee was never pegged as a powerhouse defender... so iggy would slide over to the 2, and harrison barnes would get a crack at the starting 3 spot, with draymond green backing up the 3 and 4. the fact that the trade was not made due to the potential defensive drawbacks (at least as it was portrayed in the news stories) seems to suggest more of a concern with barnes' ability to step in at the 3, or am i completely off base here?
Starting Barnes could have been an option, but with Klay gone maybe they would have used Livingston and Curry together and let Iggy stay at the three.

Anyway, I think not pulling the trigger didn't have a lot to do with Barnes. More like they just love Klay to death.

Indy

Post by Indy »

iLLmatic wrote:Someone get this man a mic.
:lol:
Last edited by Indy on Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Anyway, I think not pulling the trigger didn't have a lot to do with Barnes. More like they just love Klay to death.
The first rule in being a good GM is "Never fall in love with your own players"
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I really like this backcourt of Dragic, Bledsoe, and Thomas. There is never a let up in the game, one goes to the bench for a blow and the pressure and intensity on both ends of the court doesn't decrease. This will be a big advantage for the Suns, as long as they all learn to play with and off of each other, like Goran and Eric did last year. As much as I think that Goodwin will have probably improved, I see him and Ennis doing most of their development in Bakersfield this year.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Cap wrote:Opposing guards will have nowhere to hide on defense. James Harden will hate playing us.
Harden can guard Tucker, Ariza will take Dragic, and Beverly will take Bledsoe. Those aren't bad matchups for the Rockets at all.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

The Bobster wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:Anyway, I think not pulling the trigger didn't have a lot to do with Barnes. More like they just love Klay to death.
The first rule in being a good GM is "Never fall in love with your own players"
"I beg to differ."

-Ryan

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Ring_Wanted wrote: Starting Barnes could have been an option, but with Klay gone maybe they would have used Livingston and Curry together and let Iggy stay at the three.
I know Love is the ultimate stretch 4, but I don't like any lineup that has Iguodala and Livingston as the wings; they're too suspect from the perimeter.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

INFORMER wrote:
Cap wrote:Opposing guards will have nowhere to hide on defense. James Harden will hate playing us.
Harden can guard Tucker, Ariza will take Dragic, and Beverly will take Bledsoe. Those aren't bad matchups for the Rockets at all.

I wonder how Tucker will be affected by Harden's infamous "hand clap" defense
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

If the Suns want to challenge Harden on the defensive end, they could bring in Warren or Green and really go after him. Both present different problems, but both are always attacking.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

INFORMER wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote: Starting Barnes could have been an option, but with Klay gone maybe they would have used Livingston and Curry together and let Iggy stay at the three.
I know Love is the ultimate stretch 4, but I don't like any lineup that has Iguodala and Livingston as the wings; they're too suspect from the perimeter.
True, but on the other hand, those two plus Bogut give you terrific defense and allow both Curry and Love to take it easy on D. The bench would need to have those extra shooters, but I think such team would be close to real contention.