Suns News: October

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Suns News: October

Post by INFORMER »

OE32 wrote: I do think the plan all along was to wrap up the Morrises into contracts that used as part of a deal for a star big. I just don't know if it'll work out.
It won't. The Morris Twins on long-term contracts making substantial money are not an appealing trade commodity. Are they untradeable? Of course not. The Suns (Ryan) has to watch this slowly developing trend of collecting guys only he values.

The problem with Markieff is that he doesn't solve the 4 spot. It would be different if the Suns had Dwight Howard, DeMarcus Cousins or Andre Drummond. Then you could get away with having Markieff be your best power forward. But the Suns don't have a center like that. Markieff is a good player, but at the end of the day he still leaves you wanting better shooting (more of a true stretch 4), better defense (he gets abused in the post), and better rebounding (not terrible but not more than ok). So to devote $13 million a year and two roster spots for a player like that is disconcerting.

The problem with Marcus is that he's the 4th best player at his position on the roster.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

OE32 wrote:Speaking of Rich Paul, how about Gerald Green for Kevin Seraphin? Eh?
Done.

Next let's trade Isaiah Thomas for Tristan Thompson and then #wewriteouronchapter!

OE32

Post by OE32 »

INFORMER wrote: The problem with Markieff is that he doesn't solve the 4 spot. It would be different if the Suns had Dwight Howard, DeMarcus Cousins or Andre Drummond. Then you could get away with having Markieff be your best power forward. But the Suns don't have a center like that. Markieff is a good player, but at the end of the day he still leaves you wanting better shooting (more of a true stretch 4), better defense (he gets abused in the post), and better rebounding (not terrible but not more than ok). So to devote $13 million a year and two roster spots for a player like that is disconcerting.

The problem with Marcus is that he's the 4th best player at his position on the roster.
This has been my line of reasoning as well.
INFORMER wrote:It won't. The Morris Twins on long-term contracts making substantial money are not an appealing trade commodity. Are they untradeable? Of course not. The Suns (Ryan) has to watch this slowly developing trend of collecting guys only he values.
I wish I knew the Suns thinking.

On the one hand, I think Babby and Ryan are the kind of guys who wouldn't pay more than they believe to be market value. So I wonder if they value the Morrises' team play, hard work, health, and leadership qualities because they have reason to believe the rest of the league does too. They are NBA-caliber scorers, which is something. We talk about Horford, but Horford hasn't played 2 of the last 3 seasons. Actual physical presence on a basketball court is important.

The other thing I think of is, maybe Markieff has expressed a willingness to continue to play the 6th man role if necessary. I think Marcus can continue to improve as a shooter. With the rising cap, maybe the stability that the Morrises can provide off the bench is what the front office means to capture.

In any case, we need a top-10 big to take this party to the next level. So maybe the plan is to put a guy like Howard, Cousins or Drummond at the 5 - someone who would work well next to either Morris. I don't think Miles is the future. I'm willing to be patient with Alex, but we'd all love to put a better 5 in front of him. I'm growing impatient. :?

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Superbone wrote:http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /17228229/

Coro: Who's next to join Suns' Ring of Honor?

It's pretty obvious who should be next and it should be SOON!
Rich Paul.
Perfect!

In all reality it needs to be Al. He should have been a part of the original unveiling.

Next is Shawn. Before Nash in my opinion. His peak wasn't as high but he did so much for so long.

I'm not sold on Amare making it.
Al should be inducted as soon as he retires, not before. Nobody else has been inducted into the ROH while still active.

For now, how about Bob Woolf?

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Cap wrote:For now, how about Bob Woolf?
:o

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

OE32 wrote: The other thing I think of is, maybe Markieff has expressed a willingness to continue to play the 6th man role if necessary. I think Marcus can continue to improve as a shooter. With the rising cap, maybe the stability that the Morrises can provide off the bench is what the front office means to capture.
The Morris Twins are great team and lockerroom guys. That's primarily why they received their extensions. I'm sure Markieff would accept whatever role the Suns give him.

pickle

Post by pickle »

i don't think the grizzlies will implode, but i also don't see that roster really improving much and taking the next step. i think it has plateaued and maybe, just maybe, they are ready to blow it up. most likely though they won't for at least another year or two.

horford's health is too much of a concern for my liking. while i'm not a big fan of the morris twins' contracts, OE has a great point... that at least they stay on the court. horford keeps on getting injured for the season. it's one thing if he has one of those "miss 20 games per season due to nagging injuries" type careers... it's another to be out for the season in december 2 out of 3 years.

i'm curious what you guys think of tyson chandler. i am not sure i would go for him at this stage in his career, but maybe i'm not giving him enough credit.

among the young bigs, nerlenes noel is promising, assuming he can stay healthy. i've been able to give ryan the benefit of the doubt for most of the moves that he's made but i'm really disappointed that we didn't take a chance on noel last year, given that len has been just as oft-injured. here's hoping len eventually improves to one of those "60 games per year due to nagging injuries" guys.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Indy wrote:
INFORMER wrote:

Rich Paul.
Perfect!

In all reality it needs to be Al. He should have been a part of the original unveiling.

Next is Shawn. Before Nash in my opinion. His peak wasn't as high but he did so much for so long.

I'm not sold on Amare making it.
Al should be inducted as soon as he retires, not before. Nobody else has been inducted into the ROH while still active.

For now, how about Bob Woolf?
Disagree. I don't want to run the risk of Al getting sick or suffering an ailment that will diminish the event or his enjoyment of it. He's in his 80s and I don't expect him to retire until he has to.

Cap

Post by Cap »

OK, retirement or 50th anniversary, whichever comes first.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Al McCoy

The next player is trickier but Nash is an easy choice after he retires. If Hornacek can continue to impress for a number of years as coach, I see him eventually making it too. Do Marion and Stoudemire make it easily after retirement? I would think so.
dragic should be on that ROH for demolishing the spurs in game 3 alone, and ending their spurs demons/nightmare.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

The sooner we can package Gerald + PJ + Kendal Marshall 2.0 for any big man not named Miles Plumlee or Earl Barron, the better chance we'll have at making the playoffs.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

INFORMER wrote:
OE32 wrote: I do think the plan all along was to wrap up the Morrises into contracts that used as part of a deal for a star big. I just don't know if it'll work out.
It won't. The Morris Twins on long-term contracts making substantial money are not an appealing trade commodity. Are they untradeable? Of course not. The Suns (Ryan) has to watch this slowly developing trend of collecting guys only he values.

The problem with Markieff is that he doesn't solve the 4 spot. It would be different if the Suns had Dwight Howard, DeMarcus Cousins or Andre Drummond. Then you could get away with having Markieff be your best power forward. But the Suns don't have a center like that. Markieff is a good player, but at the end of the day he still leaves you wanting better shooting (more of a true stretch 4), better defense (he gets abused in the post), and better rebounding (not terrible but not more than ok). So to devote $13 million a year and two roster spots for a player like that is disconcerting.

I really wish I could buy the whole "asset collecting" argument that the Suns front office is offering to its fan base with regards to the Morris twins. The amount we resigned those two was dumb in my opinion. We are tying that money up in two roster spots that need to be joined at the hip together in order to succeed. We should have lowballed both twins because there wasn't a market for those two, so now we are essentially going to lose Gerald Green over Marcus Morris which sucks in more ways than one. We could've low balled the twins, if they didn't like their offer we could've picked up Ed Davis on the cheap before the Lakers did, and then start working on a deal with Gerald Green.

pickle

Post by pickle »

specialsauce wrote:The sooner we can package Gerald + PJ + Kendal Marshall 2.0 for any big man not named Miles Plumlee or Earl Barron, the better chance we'll have at making the playoffs.
here's an idea, let's offer that package for mason plumlee!

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

pickle wrote:
specialsauce wrote:The sooner we can package Gerald + PJ + Kendal Marshall 2.0 for any big man not named Miles Plumlee or Earl Barron, the better chance we'll have at making the playoffs.
here's an idea, let's offer that package for mason plumlee!

Now that would get you the Front Office atention...

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

The Bulls could find that package palatable, and maybe the Nuggets for Mozgov too, give or take something.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

iLLmatic wrote:
INFORMER wrote:

I really wish I could buy the whole "asset collecting" argument that the Suns front office is offering to its fan base with regards to the Morris twins. The amount we resigned those two was dumb in my opinion. We are tying that money up in two roster spots that need to be joined at the hip together in order to succeed. We should have lowballed both twins because there wasn't a market for those two, so now we are essentially going to lose Gerald Green over Marcus Morris which sucks in more ways than one. We could've low balled the twins, if they didn't like their offer we could've picked up Ed Davis on the cheap before the Lakers did, and then start working on a deal with Gerald Green.
Yep, pretty much.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

What's the alternative to pay the Morrii? Letting them go? Like with Bledsoe? I don't know if you are paying attention, but the NBA is becoming a matter of free agency, not trades. The thing is that the Suns have showed this offseason that they are not in the minds of the superstars. Allstars, even.

The only two ways are tanking or assembling a product that wins as much as you can so the next disgruntled superstars wants to play for you.

This is not a fake dicotomy. The path to the title goes through the superstars and you are not getting one in a 'regular' trade, especially after the last CBA revision.

If it is 'wins', Marcus contributed last year to win games. He is not the bantha fodder he is made out to be by some. If he can keep his level from last season, of course. And I like Kieff at 8M per. That's a contract with really good potential just with no regression from 13-14 (and in my opinion it's not a long shot that Kieff improves).

I am willing to give those contracts the benefit of the doubt, at that price.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Heresy, Ring!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ring_Wanted wrote:What's the alternative to pay the Morrii? Letting them go? Like with Bledsoe? I don't know if you are paying attention, but the NBA is becoming a matter of free agency, not trades. The thing is that the Suns have showed this offseason that they are not in the minds of the superstars. Allstars, even.

The only two ways are tanking or assembling a product that wins as much as you can so the next disgruntled superstars wants to play for you.

This is not a fake dicotomy. The path to the title goes through the superstars and you are not getting one in a 'regular' trade, especially after the last CBA revision.

If it is 'wins', Marcus contributed last year to win games. He is not the bantha fodder he is made out to be by some. If he can keep his level from last season, of course. And I like Kieff at 8M per. That's a contract with really good potential just with no regression from 13-14 (and in my opinion it's not a long shot that Kieff improves).

I am willing to give those contracts the benefit of the doubt, at that price.
Thanks for bringing a little hope to this place, Ring. A whole lot of Wormwood wannabes around here lately.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

https://twitter.com/paulcoro/status/522807202802073600

"Be Legendary."