Suns News: October

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Suns News: October

Post by Indy »

I like the black and bird logo too. I actually won tickets for sending a picture of my new plate to the suns.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Ring_Wanted wrote:You don't like the bird logo? I think it is the best in the whole L.
I like the bird logo is general, but the orange plate was better looking, more eye catching, had a better font, just seemed like an awesome design (from the pic i saw on line) while the black one seems rather basic and plain.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

The Cards plate is very popular, and it feels like it is trying to replicate that. Looks very similar.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:The Cards plate is very popular, and it feels like it is trying to replicate that. Looks very similar.
Exactly. It looks much cleaner than the old Suns one.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Phoenix219 wrote:I've always wondered what would have happened if we had traded Amare instead of Marion (not necessarily for Shaq), given Boris the center spot, and gotten a solid rebounder/defender to put with them.

I've said this before, but now with this kind of hindsight.... they are both Championship level players, and we basically couldn't wait to show either one of them the door.
at the time, an amare/howard swap with some sweeteners from phoenix may have worked, no? imagine the possibilities...

EDC

Post by EDC »

pickle wrote:
Phoenix219 wrote:I've always wondered what would have happened if we had traded Amare instead of Marion (not necessarily for Shaq), given Boris the center spot, and gotten a solid rebounder/defender to put with them.

I've said this before, but now with this kind of hindsight.... they are both Championship level players, and we basically couldn't wait to show either one of them the door.
at the time, an amare/howard swap with some sweeteners from phoenix may have worked, no? imagine the possibilities...
So the Lakers from two years ago? :)

pickle

Post by pickle »

EDC wrote:
pickle wrote:

So the Lakers from two years ago? :)
ouch! as much as i dislike amare for his lack of rebounding and defense, i fail to recognize that howard never would've fit into d'antoni's schemes. that man was nothing if not stubborn, so maybe that was not a great idea after all.

Bruiser

Post by Bruiser »

So, somebody on reddit made this and I found it to be worth bookmarking:

http://www.hashtagbasketball.com/nba-te ... oenix-suns

Indy

Post by Indy »

That's great Bruiser. I wonder if we can find a way to embed that here, maybe along the edges. Well, maybe just the Beat Tweets.

Bruiser

Post by Bruiser »

Indy wrote:That's great Bruiser. I wonder if we can find a way to embed that here, maybe along the edges. Well, maybe just the Beat Tweets.
Thank you! I guess that would definitely be possible... ;)

Cap

Post by Cap »

Tolliver is a study in contradictions, thumping the Bible and telling everybody to go see Dracula.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Why are those contradictory? One is entertainment, the other is faith. I am sure people don't subscribe to the beliefs portrayed of every character in every book or movie they read/see.

Cap

Post by Cap »

I guess I'm just not used to thumpers being able to compartmentalize like that. I've read so many angry rants about how Harry Potter is recruiting our kids into witchcraft and stuff like that.

carey

Post by carey »

I'm a Christian. I'm pro-choice. I support gay marriage. I'll see any film about any topic & recommend the good ones. None of those things impact my relationship with God. It's personal.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

carey wrote:I'm a Christian. I'm pro-choice. I support gay marriage. I'll see any film about any topic & recommend the good ones. None of those things impact my relationship with God. It's personal.
You mean compartmentalized?

carey

Post by carey »

JCSunsfan wrote:
carey wrote:I'm a Christian. I'm pro-choice. I support gay marriage. I'll see any film about any topic & recommend the good ones. None of those things impact my relationship with God. It's personal.
No. I know people that compartmentalize. They cheat on their wife. They drink & drive. I don't think it's remotely the same thing. Just my opinion.

Fwiw, I think some people interpret the New Testament extremely poorly to serve their own agendas. Religion is like that, unfortunately.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

JCSunsfan wrote:
What does "compartmentalized" means in this context?

Is it derogatory?

Honest question.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Oh shit - if there's anything that even remotely reaches politics in terms of volatility, it's religion.

Going for the popcorn.....

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

carey wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
No. I know people that compartmentalize. They cheat on their wife. They drink & drive. I don't think it's remotely the same thing. Just my opinion.

Fwiw, I think some people interpret the New Testament extremely poorly to serve their own agendas. Religion is like that, unfortunately.
As a philosophy teacher, I find it difficult to understand how some Christians match their concept of ethics, (God is the author of all life, selflessness) with the pro-choice position. I could see using the self-defense concept (Reagan did this) in case of incest, rape, and life of the mother, but beyond that, its hard to see. The only conclusion I could come up with was compartmentalization--like the Christening scene in the Godfather with all the murders going on. Just commenting as an observer.

Sorry. Just thinking out loud. This is a discussion for another place.
Last edited by JCSunsfan on Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:I guess I'm just not used to thumpers being able to compartmentalize like that. I've read so many angry rants about how Harry Potter is recruiting our kids into witchcraft and stuff like that.
Fair enough, and I would agree with that most of the time based on my observations too.

The crazy people out there thinking that a book or a movie (series) is going to recruit kids into witchcraft, or turn them into mass-murders are just that: crazy. I can't believe so many people truly believe those things.