Around the League: October

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Around the League: October

Post by INFORMER »

They moved their veterans for essentially nothing. They're not looking for Miles Plumlees or Eric Bledsoes. They're essentially staying away from essentially any player that is even in the realm of competence or who could contribute anything meaningful on the court. The majority of their roster belongs in the D-League. San Antonio never did that. OKC* never did that.

*OKC actually made it a habit of trading for any young talent with promise. Also, they looked to acquire veterans that teams were looking to salary dump while extracting a prospect or pick in the process.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

SDC

Post by SDC »

it is sad that youtube only provides full game highlights if the lakers are in it.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... e_uploaded

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

The tune would be different had they drafted three guys other than Noels, Embiid and Saric, but I don't fault them for picking those prospects considering how the draft played out when they were on the clock.

About the rest of the roster, it is true that they have many marginal players, and are not focusing on adding talent via free agency or trading for hidden gems (although that's how they acquired Tony Wroten). Instead they are adding mainly from the draft, but I don't see the problem.

And essentially nothing (second rounders) is what you get when you are trading Spencer Hawes and Evan Turner on expiring contracts. Thaddeus Young was moved for a first round pick and contract filler, a standard rebuilding move.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Thaddeus Young was moved for a first round pick and contract filler, a standard rebuilding move.
Not for someone as young and talented as Young is.
and are not focusing on adding talent via free agency
Which is fine. If you're rebuilding you shouldn't be looking to add major free agents or sizable contracts. But why is someone like Ed Davis not being pursued? He's young, talented, and has a minimal salary. But I know the answer to that: he can actually play, and that's not what Hinkie and Co. are interested in. And that's ridiculous.

BTW: I do agree that the tanking "problem" in general has been overblown by the media. Really, I'm in favor for lottery reform because I love the thought of sending top talent to teams that aren't horrible. I think teams stuck in mediocrity or at the end of the lottery need in Andrew Wiggins just as much as the cellar dwellers.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

INFORMER wrote:Not for someone as young and talented as Young is.
Again, don't you think if there was a better offer out there, this summer or during last season, they would have taken it? Don't forget he can choose to become a free agent after this season, so a 1stR is actually more than a decent return.
If you're rebuilding you shouldn't be looking to add major free agents or sizable contracts. But why is someone like Ed Davis not being pursued? He's young, talented, and has a minimal salary. But I know the answer to that: he can actually play, and that's not what Hinkie and Co. are interested in. And that's ridiculous.
So what if the 76rs are not interested in winning now. That goes without saying. That's how every team rebuilds. Philli's 'sin' is that they are being more obvious than the rest. And really, at the price Davis signed with the Lakers, every team in the league should have taken him, starting with the Suns, but I simply don't know how you can hold this against Hinkie, or any other franchise. It is as ridiculous as if you point at IT3's contract, or Aminu on the Mavs.

pickle

Post by pickle »

i'm okay with tanking from a GM level... as some have said, it's more a business decision than a basketball decision. i am not okay with tanking from a coaching level, as in, "let's let ricky davis chuck 25 shots a game so we have a better shot at landing duncan next year, even if we have better offensive options on the team." a fan who looks at a roster like the sixers' can decide for himself whether he wants to spend the money or not. however, if he spends money on a team with actual talent on it but then that talent is blatantly held out of a series of games so the team can have a better shot at a coveted rookie talent, that's somewhat shameful.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Ed Davis is just an example. Hence why I said "someone like" Ed Davis.

And signing someone like him doesn't constitute wanting to "win now." It's not like you sign an Ed Davis and all of a sudden you're all in for a playoff push.
Philli's sin is that they are being more obvious than the rest.
This phrase, "being more obvious," that you keep repeating really doesn't really do the situation in Philly justice and actually just sounds like spin. It's like teams like OKC were hiding their intentions. What separates Philly is they are showing an unprecedented disregard for the product they're putting on the court. And when a franchise disregards on the product they're putting on the court to the extent that Philly is, I have a problem with it.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

INFORMER wrote:Ed Davis is just an example. Hence why I said "someone like" Ed Davis.

And signing someone like him doesn't constitute wanting to "win now." It's not like you sign an Ed Davis and all of a sudden you're all in for a playoff push.
Come on now. 'He can actually play'. I know he is an example. I also pointed at other examples. What I am saying is that not signing those guys, who are young, productive and clear bargains, holds no weight when evaluating what a given FO is doing, because there are uncountable reasons as to why the player ended up on a particular team. Nobody can tell if Davis would have demanded more money to play elsewhere, or if he was at all interested in going to the 76rs. I think this kind of speculation is basically useless.
This phrase, "being more obvious," that you keep repeating really doesn't really do the situation in Philly justice and actually just sounds like spin. It's like teams like OKC were hiding their intentions. What separates Philly is they are showing an unprecedented disregard for the product they're putting on the court. And when a franchise disregards on the product they're putting on the court to the extent that Philly is, I have a problem with it.
Spin? I have absolutely no personal interest in the 76rs or Hinkie. I just tell things how I see them.

The kind of product they have is poor by definition. It is designed to lose games and stockpile assets, just like every other rebuilding team that ever was, but I don't see anything unfaithful or dishonest, neither in theory nor in the concrete circumstances surrounding this team.

The 76rs do look uglier than basically any other rebuilding team in the history of the NBA, but the main reason is not the DL filler they are employing, but the fact that three of their recent picks have not been able to play since day 1. This specific situation is at the core of what they are right now, but I can't use it to attack a strategy that has been done rutinely in the NBA. If instead of the #3 pick in 2014 they held the #1-2, the product changes vastly, but I can't hold that against them, just as I can't point at other teams scoring bargains to conclude that Philadelphia is doing a reprehensible thing.

carey

Post by carey »

SDC wrote:it is sad that youtube only provides full game highlights if the lakers are in it.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... e_uploaded
The second highlight is particularly funny because it's 90% Lakers. After IT3's tying shot they show nothing but Lakers' baskets in overtime even though the Suns controlled overtime and won with Green basically going off.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

Watching Kobe last night reminded me so much of Wizards era Michael Jordan. I went to youtube and watched a few highlight packages of the 40 year old Jordan and the resemblance is kind of erie. Both using a lot of those turn around fade aways to score. Not really beating their man off the dribble much, but using whatever little screen or bump they can to get a little space. Like Jordan I think there will be nights he puts up 40 or 50 points but there's going to be a lot of 9 of 25 or 12 of 30 nights too.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Quincy Miller released by the Nuggets. Anyone interested?

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Miller has some potential, but the Suns are loaded at the perimeter and really don't need another 3. Phoenix has a full roster; the next significant move would probably be a trade and that might take awhile to develop, given the right opportunity.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

carey

Post by carey »

Lottery reform did not pass.

https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/524938666234241024

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

Phoenix was one of the no votes (a little bit of a surprise to me actually.)

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/524939718065000448

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/524940016267436032

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

I don't know if it was because of his suspension but the Simmons & Rose team previews are stopping at #21 and won't do the rest of the league. So they never got to the Suns.

Edit: Ohhhh it's because ESPN gave him a show. So they suspend him then give him a weekly basketball show. Makes sense.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

I am just telling you. Minnesota will be much, much, better than most think. They will push hard for a playoff spot. That team has alot of talent, and just enough vet leadership to make it work together. Rubio has a little more experience under his belt, and now will not have to score. They will be this year's surprise team, like the Suns were last year.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Quincy Miller released by the Nuggets. Anyone interested?
Philadelphia should be.

I'd love to have him here if it were possible.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

LazarusLong wrote:Miller has some potential, but the Suns are loaded at the perimeter and really don't need another 3.
With the weight he's put on. his wingspan, athleticism, and having grown another inch or so, Miller could definitely see some time as a stretch 4.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Yeah, stretch 4 is what I'd try if we could sign him.

carey

Post by carey »

Marion & Sweet Lou are on the Cavs right now. I had no idea either of them signed there. Or maybe I knew Marion did? I'm getting old.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!