Fandom Map

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
virtual9mm

Fandom Map

Post by virtual9mm »

Interesting map, confirms many things we've suspected about the shallowness of the Phoenix fan base...

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014 ... l-map.html

The Bobster

Re: Fandom Map

Post by The Bobster »

Not surprising. A lot of fans in all sports are front-runners.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

TOO

Post by TOO »

Is there anything worse than trying to have a sports conversation with a front runner? Ugh.
Jones out, Lue in, draft Tyler Kolek.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

All the fucking California transplants from the 1990's.....

Indy

Post by Indy »

virtual9mm wrote:Interesting map, confirms many things we've suspected about the shallowness of the Phoenix fan base...

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014 ... l-map.html
Doesn't look that different from LA. I know it is about 10% but that seems pretty small. If we get +40% of Maricopa county and the lakers barely break 50% within LA county, that is surprising to me.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

The Phoenix area has to be one of the worst areas for front-runners no doubt.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

And just for Laker fandom in general. I think Sarver should institute a rule that you are allowed to ritually stab somebody who wears a Laker jersey to our arena...

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Laker fans are a sad fact of life, like flies and diarrhea.

Phoenix has a large, migratory population. So many people to watch their former hometown clubs. It's just as bad in baseball, football and hockey. When the Cardinals first moved to town, games against the Cowboys and Broncos were like secondary home games for Dallas and Denver.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

carey

Post by carey »

It's sad to see that Lakers fans are everywhere. Every state you click on it seems like they are the 2nd or 3rd most liked team. Even in rival territory. The aren't even free of hate in freakin' Boston, man. How is that even possible?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Win championships with big-name players and casual fans tend to attach themselves. See the Jordan Bulls and the recent Heat teams for other examples.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Indy

Post by Indy »

Right. Bulls seem to be everywhere too.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Damn bandwagoners!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Just an observation, but I think pro sports in general have a decline ahead. Young people today are not nearly into pro sports as we were when we were kids. I think they have alot of other interests. Pro sports are still making money because the people with the money right now are part of the sports crazy generation.

We might be at the high point at this moment.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

I think American football might be in trouble, with the worry about concussions and brain injuries.

There's a demographic change, with more girls interested in a larger variety of sports, such as soccer and basketball. Brittany Griner is an icon for diversity. So there maybe more a shift in "consumer" demographics, too.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I could picture a situation where the tv deal and cap rise, then player salaries balloon, then profits drop for whatever reason and the teams start loading money due to the big contracts. These things seem to go in cycles.

pickle

Post by pickle »

there's essentially no thunder fan in washington. that's really sad.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

pickle wrote:there's essentially no thunder fan in washington. that's really sad.
Isn't KD from Washington?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

pickle

Post by pickle »

In2ition wrote:
pickle wrote:there's essentially no thunder fan in washington. that's really sad.
i meant washington state... if i were a sonics fan, even though the owners stole my team, i'd still root for the thunder. sorry for the confusion. but you are right, kd may be from DC... i'm not 100% certain on that.

carey

Post by carey »

Yeah, if it were the San Antonio Saints playing in the NFL this year, I would not be rooting for them & you would be hard pressed to find another New Orleanian that would.

Durant is from the D.C. area.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

pickle wrote:
In2ition wrote:
i meant washington state... if i were a sonics fan, even though the owners stole my team, i'd still root for the thunder. sorry for the confusion. but you are right, kd may be from DC... i'm not 100% certain on that.
I should have known that you were talking about Washington state. That would have made more sense. :oops:
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass