Phxsuns.net is dead, long live phx-suns.net!

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Phxsuns.net is dead, long live phx-suns.net!

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy is right and wins the thread.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Indy wrote:
Phoenix219 wrote:
On a more serious note, I don't feel bad for anyone that stores anything in a cloud. You want something secure, keep it secure.
It is an extremely awful type of person that violates someone in that way. In no way is it their fault for storing them in the cloud. That's like saying because a select few people know how to pick your locks and disable your alarm system, you were at fault and nobody should feel bad because someone broke in and raped you.

C'mon guys, we are better than that.
That's not what he was saying at all, Indy - he's saying, if you want to park your car in the ghetto overnight, expect it to be damaged or gone in short order.

Otherwise, why not let's everyone tear all the locks off of every door & window in your house/apartment and car and just hope for the best? And, if something happens, we can still be proud that "it's not our fault", right? :lol:

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Indy wrote:
Phoenix219 wrote:
On a more serious note, I don't feel bad for anyone that stores anything in a cloud. You want something secure, keep it secure.
It is an extremely awful type of person that violates someone in that way. In no way is it their fault for storing them in the cloud. That's like saying because a select few people know how to pick your locks and disable your alarm system, you were at fault and nobody should feel bad because someone broke in and raped you.

I fully agree with you that we are better than that. We are not the one stealing clouded photos, and I wouldn't go inside your house to robe you gun in hand or drinking and driving. But there are a lot of awful people in this world, either the real or the virtual, so keeping a eye wide open on how your house locks are holding up, as well as keeping updated your alarm system, is a must. That's why slogans like "it's just works" are awful.

12345678 and birthday dates are still some of the most used passwords around the world, and preliminary reports indicate that this wasn't about hacking into the system, but a long term executed social engineered hacking. So yeah, I put some accountability in the individual, as much as it is needed to look both sides of the street before crossing. There is no point on having the reason about who had the passing preference from a wheel chair. Accidents happen but also premeditated actions, and even if nobody should be a victim, this is a cold, cruel world in where we live in.
Last edited by Aztec Sunsfan on Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Cap wrote:
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:My first lesson at college was, "Nothing goes for free, if it sounds too good to be true, there is some hidden cost or non-monetary cost going on."
I knew we shouldn't trust Mori. He's going to screw us all somehow, isn't he?

Of course he will, he already pushed an awful ad on us!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding Mori, you know I already signed yes for it.

But talking seriously, this forum is not for free, but currently is subsidized by Mori in the actual cost of hosting it, and by the Mod efforts to keept it clean. They put money and time on it so we free riders have a place to talk hoops.

But we are not 100% free riders in the degree that we post interesting content, either as an individual source (actual quality posting) or bringing information from outside (links, rumors, news from abroad) and that also consume time devoted to make it a better forum.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

SwingMan wrote:
Indy wrote:
Phoenix219 wrote:

That's not what he was saying at all, Indy - he's saying, if you want to park your car in the ghetto overnight, expect it to be damaged or gone in short order.

Otherwise, why not let's everyone tear all the locks off of every door & window in your house/apartment and car and just hope for the best? And, if something happens, we can still be proud that "it's not our fault", right? :lol:
Hey, the ghetto can be a safe place - just don't leave valuables on your front seat or in the back window. If you have a rare commodity that needs to be remain private - you do what you have to, to keep it safe. You don't leave your most private valuables out for the less trustworthy to get a crack at :lol: Its not like hacking, invasion of privacy, etc is a new, rare or unheard of thing. Be mindful of the situations you put yourself in. You can't be responsible for someone else's actions, but you can be responsible for your own.

Aztec said it better then I could, so I will just let his comment speak for itself, if thats okay with him?

btw, bringing rape into this, especially as a comparison, as if they are remotely in the same ballpark, or insinuating that i implied that anything like that is defensible, or even related to this situation, is pretty low.

carey

Post by carey »

Disseminating those pictures is a sex crime P219. It isn't just theft. I feel bad for all of those women & for the men involved as well.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:Disseminating those pictures is a sex crime P219. It isn't just theft. I feel bad for all of those women & for the men involved as well.
Exactly.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Taking photos on your phone is not "the ghetto." It's a totally normal thing that lots of people do on their phones. Nude or not, people usually consider their photos to be private.

As for the comment about "12345678", that's not what this is about. It's not that the celebs chose dumb passwords. It's that Apple's software was unsecure and easily broken into.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Mori Chu wrote:Taking photos on your phone is not "the ghetto." It's a totally normal thing that lots of people do on their phones. Nude or not, people usually consider their photos to be private.

As for the comment about "12345678", that's not what this is about. It's not that the celebs chose dumb passwords. It's that Apple's software was unsecure and easily broken into.
No, taking photos on your phone is not "ghetto" - however, leaving your pictures unsecured is just as irresponsible as leaving your car wide open in the ghetto for an extended stretch. Especially overnight.

And, on the flip, though there are plenty of good neighbors and neighborhoods, it's not everyone else's responsibility to watch over and protect your property.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Mori Chu wrote:Taking photos on your phone is not "the ghetto." It's a totally normal thing that lots of people do on their phones. Nude or not, people usually consider their photos to be private.

Interesting discussion.

Companies are forced by law to report security breaches in their networks, so Apple can not just slip a hacking under the rug. We can twist conspiracy theories either way, so I'm just referring to known facts until here. Many people use Apple's cloud services and feed it with lots of "interesting" info, yet only specifically dirt was collected and make it public. If a wide open breach had been achieved, that would be the top news, not some pictures.

Now, getting into speculation, as much as we see them play roles as top notch scientist, reality is that the average entertainment celebrity is not among the brightest cookies in the jar, just barely above sports athletes, so yeah, they are probably among those using the dumbest passwords, not counting that their cell phones usually change hands a lot. They were targeted for a reason, but still, this was not an "ask-your-apple-user-info" hacking on demand, but a very focused batch of people getting exposed, probably as efective as the nigerian king scam you get into your email a couple times a year, and there are still victims falling for it.

And going deeper into the metaphor, your phone is not the gettho, it is a vehicle you can chose how and where to drive. The internet is the city where you drive, and there are zones as secure as the White House, and places worst than real life ghettos, problem is that geography is not an issue here, you can exchange neighborhoods in a couple clicks. Unlike smartphones, we are required drivers licence in order to use a car, yet many people only twist the key and move forward without care for maintenance or the deepest aspects of their vehicles works. Smartphones and computers can be even more dangerous than a car, yet most of us just twiste the key and drive them, namely surfing the web, posting personal information online, shopping etc.

I'm not saying that criminals are in their wild wild west right to take what is out there, but I insist that some accountability must be demanded to users. I do not use facebook because of their bogus and ever changing privacy policies, as a business devoted to extract as much information from me as posible. You post something on facebook, and it doesn't belong to you any more.

I have my share of private pictures, and since the first time a took a photo, I checked as much information as I could to understand how to keep them PRIVATE from the phone and into the drive. I crush my drives everytime I change computers and use an old fashion paper notebook to save my passwords. And yet I'm aware that I'm very exposed if a ever become a target.

Cap

Post by Cap »

My understanding was that this was not an iCloud hack, per se, but rather a matter of people using the same password on iCloud and other, less secure sites that were directly compromised.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Cap wrote:My understanding was that this was not an iCloud hack, per se, but rather a matter of people using the same password on iCloud and other, less secure sites that were directly compromised.
yeah, what exactly did happen after all? if it's what cap had described, then while i can appreciate mori's anger that apple chooses to upload our photos by default, i don't know that apple should be at blame for the fact that celeb photos were exposed. but if apple servers were hacked, it's a different situation all together.