Steve Nash out for season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Cap

Re: Around the League: October

Post by Cap »

Nash out for the season (and presumably career).

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-bas ... rve-damage

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:Nash out for the season (and presumably career).

Sad ending to a great career.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nash, 40, has struggled with a degenerative back condition for most of his career. He's always shown lying down during timeouts to stretch and rest it, but once he left the Phoenix Suns and their magical training staff, his body just fell apart. He even required epidurals to deal with the pain over the past year and a half. Most recently, he was injured simply picking up bags.
"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

I didn't expect to see this today. What a fucking bummer. He'll always be my favorite Sun, my favorite player. Sorry, KJ. I'm really actually sad about this. I'm going to frame my autographed Nash jersey now. I've been waiting till he retired because it never felt right to hang it on the wall while he was still out there.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Steve Nash out for season

Post by Mori Chu »

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/stor ... ire-season

It looks like Steve Nash is out for the season. This has got to be his retirement. Reax? I'm a little sad to see that he's basically played his last NBA minute.

pickle

Re: Steve Nash out for season

Post by pickle »

that bumps him back up to favorite sun status... i know i'm being ultra cynical here, but he's essentially been a trojan horse for us. yehhh for nash.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Very sad. His tenure here was my favorite time to be a Suns fan. He's the #1 Sun in my book.

pickle

Post by pickle »

i want to echo what carey said in the other thread... nash is my favorite sun, with KJ a close second.

i just wanted to add that, if he is out for the season from picking up his own bags, i hope that whatever injuries he's suffered over this long nba career does not impact his quality of life going forward. i wish him a healthy and fulfilling life outside of basketball.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

I hurt my back real bad once picking up my own bags. For the first time in my life I can say that I was Nash-like.

Always loved watching him play.

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

My favorite Sun also.
Sad to see him go like that.
We should honor him in a game next season.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Yes we should honor him, by pounding the nash-less lakers on opening night!

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

We should trade for him, obviously taking a couple pounds of flesh from the Lakers, then rehab him all year long for a Season Finale with Nash taking the court for the last time on his career, rightfully wearing a Suns jersey.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I kind of wonder whether the Lakers pulled him into their office and said, "Hey, Steve, let's shut it down." If he declares himself out for the season, they can pay his contract via insurance. And Steve honestly is mostly sticking around this year because he's making good money and wants to collect the ~$9m; he has said so himself. I think the Lakers FO spoke to him and "suggested" that it'd be best for everybody if he did this. There's nothing to play for this year, anyway, so this lets him bow out and not pound his body for the whole season, while letting him still get paid, while not forcing the Lakers to pay the whole tab. They can even get an injury exception and go after another player if they wanted, I believe.

Wow, if you look back at that contract/trade now, we absolutely fleeced the Lakers. Four, **4**, draft picks for a guy who was 38 years old and then played essentially one full season's worth of games for them in 3 years? They got massacred. I love it. That was Steve's last great assist to our team on his way out the door.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Pretty sad, however, we cut ties with Nash just in time. LA got screwed on that trade, bad.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Mori Chu wrote:Wow, if you look back at that contract/trade now, we absolutely fleeced the Lakers. Four, **4**, draft picks for a guy who was 38 years old and then played essentially one full season's worth of games for them in 3 years? They got massacred. I love it. That was Steve's last great assist to our team on his way out the door.
Main reason I forgive you, Steve, for betraying us to the enemy.

But let bygones be bygones. Time to induct him into the Ring.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Not sure how to react here - I wish he could've gone out better as he deserves, but, if he's going out like this, I'm happy as hell that it's the Lakers he's royally screwed.

Agreed on the Ring - he & Matrix when he hangs it up.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

iLLmatic wrote:Pretty sad, however, we cut ties with Nash just in time. LA got screwed on that trade, bad.
I really doubt that random fluke injury that set off this whole chain of events would have happened in Phoenix. It was sheer bad luck. Very sad.

I truly believe that his career would have ended on a better note if we hadn't basically run him out of town....

Bruiser

Post by Bruiser »

Superbone wrote:
Cap wrote:Nash out for the season (and presumably career).

Sad ending to a great career.
Oh my shitness - Can you believe it?

Career-Ending-Luggage-Transportation?

I really do feel bad for him :(

... on the other hand - I do love the picks we got and how the Lakers failed to capitalize on him.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Phoenix219 wrote:
iLLmatic wrote:Pretty sad, however, we cut ties with Nash just in time. LA got screwed on that trade, bad.
I really doubt that random fluke injury that set off this whole chain of events would have happened in Phoenix. It was sheer bad luck. Very sad.

I truly believe that his career would have ended on a better note if we hadn't basically run him out of town....
we ran him out of town? what happened? this was the brief period when i decided to stop following basketball for a while as it seemed the basketball gods were being especially cruel to this sad suns fan.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

You know its sad....it really is. But the suns cashed out Steve at the right time and declined to re-sign Amare at the right time too. In many ways they got rid of Raja Bell before he started his decline too...

You can't have emotional ties when it comes to being a GM/Owner...

That being said Steve on as an assistant for us next year would be awesome
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”