Steve Nash out for season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Sunsfan4life

Re: Steve Nash out for season

Post by Sunsfan4life »

pickle wrote:
Phoenix219 wrote:
iLLmatic wrote:Pretty sad, however, we cut ties with Nash just in time. LA got screwed on that trade, bad.
I really doubt that random fluke injury that set off this whole chain of events would have happened in Phoenix. It was sheer bad luck. Very sad.

I truly believe that his career would have ended on a better note if we hadn't basically run him out of town....
we ran him out of town? what happened? this was the brief period when i decided to stop following basketball for a while as it seemed the basketball gods were being especially cruel to this sad suns fan.

He didn't run him out of town, he asked Sarver to trade him to LA to be closer to his kids or somthing. It was actually the exact opposite of us running him out of town
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

For some reason, I don't see Stevie doing anything really basketball related like front office or coaching. I think he has too many other interests. He'll do something light like ambassador to Canadian basketball or something.

carey

Post by carey »

ShelC wrote:For some reason, I don't see Stevie doing anything really basketball related like front office or coaching. I think he has too many other interests. He'll do something light like ambassador to Canadian basketball or something.
Afaik he is still running Canadian basketball. Unless he stepped down, but I didn't see a notice that he did. I do not see him going into coaching, ever.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

Sunsfan4life wrote:
pickle wrote:
Phoenix219 wrote:
iLLmatic wrote:Pretty sad, however, we cut ties with Nash just in time. LA got screwed on that trade, bad.
I really doubt that random fluke injury that set off this whole chain of events would have happened in Phoenix. It was sheer bad luck. Very sad.

I truly believe that his career would have ended on a better note if we hadn't basically run him out of town....
we ran him out of town? what happened? this was the brief period when i decided to stop following basketball for a while as it seemed the basketball gods were being especially cruel to this sad suns fan.

He didn't run him out of town, he asked Sarver to trade him to LA to be closer to his kids or somthing. It was actually the exact opposite of us running him out of town
This. We did him a favor.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I agree with the prediction that Steve will likely do something outside of basketball after he retires. He could focus on his video/movie production company. He could do something related to soccer, such as focusing on running his Vancouver Whitecaps MLS team (is that what they're called?). He might just choose to spend a lot of time with his kids, who are growing up fast. Maybe he'll travel the world.

I know he loves the game, but I don't see him as a guy who will cling to it. I really don't see him sitting around in Phoenix or LA as a shooting coach or assistant coach or something like that.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Agreed. And if he did, you know that wouldn't be his primary focus. So you would get a partially committed person.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I think he likes soccer more than basketball. I think his basketball career took off and he dedicated himself to it because he was a pro, but I think he will leave basketball behind and do something along the lines of what Mori said. He always seemed into the video production thing.

It was time to rebuild the Suns and Nash left at the right time. The fact that his injuries kind of screwed over the Lakers is only a plus for me. It would suck for him to be totally healthy and to watch him lead the Lakers to victories over the Suns over and over. Watching the Lakers go nowhere with Nash sitting on the sidelines last year while our new team filled with young guys just missed the playoffs made it a great year for me.

Kidd Karma

Post by Kidd Karma »

ShelC wrote:For some reason, I don't see Stevie doing anything really basketball related like front office or coaching. I think he has too many other interests. He'll do something light like ambassador to Canadian basketball or something.
Yep, he doesn't seem to be that coach/front office type...at least on the basketball personnel side.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Sunsfan4life wrote:
pickle wrote:
Phoenix219 wrote:

That was after we made absolutely no attempt to even negotiate with him; Didn't meet with him, didn't tell him about our new direction - we just ignored him until he went away on his own. He came up with the Laker's plan himself after our intentions were clear. He never wanted to leave Phoenix.

Indy

Post by Indy »

That was after we made absolutely no attempt to even negotiate with him; Didn't meet with him, didn't tell him about our new direction - we just ignored him until he went away on his own. He came up with the Laker's plan himself after our intentions were clear. He never wanted to leave Phoenix.
Really?

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Nodack wrote:I think he likes soccer more than basketball. I think his basketball career took off and he dedicated himself to it because he was a pro ...
Remember he grew up outside of the US, and played hockey and soccer instead of American football and baseball. The former two emphasis ball/puck movement and spacing, which translate well to basketball. And, as early as 8th grade, he expressed a desire to play in the NBA.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Indy wrote:
Really?
Yes, really. I was very annoyed at the time how we treated him. He was a class act about the entire thing.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I don't think it happened that way, P219. I remember him saying that he would never play for the Lakers, because it wouldn't be right, and then 2 weeks later he was asking to be traded there.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

I remember that the FO tried to push a heavy "home discount" from Nash. I'm not clear how formal it was, but I remember us here commenting it. It was something absurd as the Vet's mínimum.

He rightfully refused to do it, and next thing we know, was a cold offseason between them that ended in the Lakers offer. My guess is that everything went behind doors, Steve already knew he was out of plans for the price tag he asked but kept the door open just in case.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

When teams rebuild successfully, you can't hold on to veterans forever, unless they are willing to alter their style of play.

Suns unloaded Hawk, Charlie Scott and Paul Silas, all top players in their day, when MacLeod was putting together his vision.

The only problem with this edition was it took them a couple of years to even have a vision. Blanks and Babby were clueless.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

I remember finding a quote afterward that proved it, that they didn't reach out to him at all in negotiations. I'll see what I can find later. They made no real attempt to keep him and did not include him in any plans for any reason or price. I remember feeling it was all really disrespectful when it all came out.

I'll see what I can find on google later, if no one else can remember, but I promise i'm not making this up.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Nash wanted us to build a contender and we wanted to rebuild. I think we had the right idea, except we tried to rebuild on the fly with Beas,Scola,etc

You can't hold onto the past, again we let amare go and traded Nash at the right times. We were 100% right in both situations after the dust settled.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think Nash is like GM of Canada Basketball or some fluff title. Which is fine. He can keep on with that role that allows him to be associated with the program but still pursue his other passions.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

We wasted two years of Nash with the weakest attempt at reloading I've ever seen any "competent" team even try. It was so half assed it was ridiculous. We had Nash/Gortat and some decent role players, and surrounded them with absolute trash. We also could have had Tyson Chandler. Dallas' chip could have been ours. We made the "right" choice with Amare, but then wasted the reload and all of that money on Childress/Warrick anyways, then the Beasley disaster. Our front office was atrocious for a couple years. I'm not entirely convinced he couldn't have played next to Dragic for a couple years, and then retired.

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

Indy wrote:I don't think it happened that way, P219. I remember him saying that he would never play for the Lakers, because it wouldn't be right, and then 2 weeks later he was asking to be traded there.
That not exactly right. He said it he was "old school" and it would be weird to suit up for the Lakers.

He absolutely wanted to come back but he received no offer from Phoenix who was ready to move on.