Suns News: Week 1 10/27-11/2

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Suns News: Week 1 10/27-11/2

Post by Superbone »

Superbone wrote:Predictions for the first three?

Mine:

Lakers - W
Spurs - W
@Jazz - W

Struggled with the Spurs game. I think it may be tight. Went with our energy at home versus the ramping up Spurs.
Changing to:

2-1

Lakers - W
Spurs - L
@Jazz - W

And @Jazz will be a tough, close fought battle.
"Be Legendary."

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Just a little look back - Lakers at Suns, November 25, 1995.

Suns down 10 with less than a minute & a half to go.....

[youtube][/youtube]

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ha ha! Great flashback, Swing! What a comeback!

We better not need that tomorrow night. :)
"Be Legendary."

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Superbone wrote:Ha ha! Great flashback, Swing! What a comeback!

We better not need that tomorrow night. :)
Thought it might be a nice primer. ;)

Love the fact that Finley was snagged with the pick we got from the Lakers in the Ceballos trade.....

Cap

Post by Cap »

Those were the days. A championship contender and a great broadcast crew.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

The Suns weren't a contender that season. They were actually really mediocre.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Great arena name also, I miss the AWA.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

I remember really wanting to see Finley grow and retire as a Sun too.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

iLLmatic wrote:I remember really wanting to see Finley grow and retire as a Sun too.
Me too.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

INFORMER wrote:
iLLmatic wrote:I remember really wanting to see Finley grow and retire as a Sun too.
Me too.
I remember going nuts watching that game. Wish we could have some how kept Finley in the Kidd trade. Kidd, Finley, McDyess would have been fun to watch for a while

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Danimal wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Me too.
I remember going nuts watching that game. Wish we could have some how kept Finley in the Kidd trade. Kidd, Finley, McDyess would have been fun to watch for a while
Same here - I've still got that game tape tucked away in a box with my other VHS stash. Gotta see if someone has game snippets posted from the January 22, 1995 barnburner vs. Orlando, too.....

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

SwingMan wrote:
Danimal wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Me too.
Same here - I've still got that game tape tucked away in a box with my other VHS stash. Gotta see if someone has game snippets posted from the January 22, 1995 barnburner vs. Orlando, too.....
Me tooo!

I might have that Orlando game somewhere back home on VHS. Is that the game where D scott went nuts to bring Orlando back in the game at AWA?

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Also does anyone have a collection of suns buzzer beaters?

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Danimal wrote:
SwingMan wrote:
Danimal wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Me too.
Me tooo!

I might have that Orlando game somewhere back home on VHS. Is that the game where D scott went nuts to bring Orlando back in the game at AWA?
The very one - Dennis Scott came off the bench to hit seven 3-pointers. Went to OT and Socks was the hero. I used to have it on VHS, but time must have sucked it up in its vortex or something - that was the year everyone and their brother, sister, aunt, uncle, cousins and then some were predicting a Suns/Magic Finals. And it likely would've happened if Joe Kleine hadn't fallen on Danny Manning in February, 1995.

The Suns were 38-10 at the All-Star break that year as well.....

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Danimal wrote:Also does anyone have a collection of suns buzzer beaters?
Can't find too awful much in the way of Suns buzzer-beaters - I think this was the KJ-hernia-inducing shot. :lol:

[youtube][/youtube]

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

Interview with the inimitable Zach Lowe:

Q&A: Isaiah Thomas on the Suns, U-Dub Love, and Sweating Out the Draft
I heard you had a strong interest in signing with the Lakers.

Yeah, I did.

But they had to wait out Carmelo and LeBron. And now there’s a lot of talk about players not wanting to play with Kobe. What appealed to you about the Lakers?

First off, it’s the Los Angeles Lakers. Who wouldn’t want to play for them? Second off, I felt like they always needed a point guard — a small guard like myself. I always envisioned myself playing with the Lakers, but like you said, they were waiting on Carmelo and other moves. The Suns came out of nowhere and showed a lot of interest, and I fell in love with them.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

I remember going nuts watching that game. Wish we could have some how kept Finley in the Kidd trade. Kidd, Finley, McDyess would have been fun to watch for a while[/quote]

Same here - I've still got that game tape tucked away in a box with my other VHS stash. Gotta see if someone has game snippets posted from the January 22, 1995 barnburner vs. Orlando, too.....[/quote]

Me tooo!

I might have that Orlando game somewhere back home on VHS. Is that the game where D scott went nuts to bring Orlando back in the game at AWA?[/quote]

The very one - Dennis Scott came off the bench to hit seven 3-pointers. Went to OT and Socks was the hero. I used to have it on VHS, but time must have sucked it up in its vortex or something - that was the year everyone and their brother, sister, aunt, uncle, cousins and then some were predicting a Suns/Magic Finals. And it likely would've happened if Joe Kleine hadn't fallen on Danny Manning in February, 1995.

The Suns were 38-10 at the All-Star break that year as well.....[/quote]

Loved the roster that year. Its why I still have a copy of NBA live 96 on my lap top. Can I ask, I heard that preseason there were rumours of Ralph Sampson trying to make a come back with the Suns. What happened exactly?

And yes have that game on VHS some where. Watched it countless times.

carey

Post by carey »

Xylus wrote:Interview with the inimitable Zach Lowe:

Yeah, I did.

But they had to wait out Carmelo and LeBron. And now there’s a lot of talk about players not wanting to play with Kobe. What appealed to you about the Lakers?

First off, it’s the Los Angeles Lakers. Who wouldn’t want to play for them? Second off, I felt like they always needed a point guard — a small guard like myself. I always envisioned myself playing with the Lakers, but like you said, they were waiting on Carmelo and other moves. The Suns came out of nowhere and showed a lot of interest, and I fell in love with them.
I just came to post that! Here's the link since Xy forgot: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/qa-is ... the-draft/
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

carey wrote:
Xylus wrote:Interview with the inimitable Zach Lowe:

Yeah, I did.

I just came to post that! Here's the link since Xy forgot: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/qa-is ... the-draft/
Yeah, the link might help :lol: Thanks carey

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Danimal wrote:I remember going nuts watching that game. Wish we could have some how kept Finley in the Kidd trade. Kidd, Finley, McDyess would have been fun to watch for a while
Same here - I've still got that game tape tucked away in a box with my other VHS stash. Gotta see if someone has game snippets posted from the January 22, 1995 barnburner vs. Orlando, too.....[/quote]

Me tooo!

I might have that Orlando game somewhere back home on VHS. Is that the game where D scott went nuts to bring Orlando back in the game at AWA?[/quote]

The Suns were 38-10 at the All-Star break that year as well.....[/quote]

Loved the roster that year. Its why I still have a copy of NBA live 96 on my lap top. Can I ask, I heard that preseason there were rumours of Ralph Sampson trying to make a come back with the Suns. What happened exactly?

And yes have that game on VHS some where. Watched it countless times.[/quote]

Far as I remember, it was only a rumor. Nothing came of it and Sampson was not heard from again anywhere, IIRC.