Around the League: Week of 2/23 - 3/1

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Around the League: Week of 2/23 - 3/1

Post by Mori Chu »

Let's try to make a weekly thread to just talk about what's going on around the NBA.

Mori Chu

Re: Around the League: Week of 2/23 - 3/1

Post by Mori Chu »

The big story I have been wanting to comment about is the Ray Felton gun thing. What a knucklehead. This year's Knicks team is such a disaster. What an embarrassment. To think they could have had Kyle Lowry this year...!

I'm also really impressed with Evan Turner's debut on the Pacers. GREAT pick-up for them. Not sure if I would put them ahead of the Heat, but that ECF series is going to be nuts.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I'm surprised there isn't more outcry of Philly OBVIOUSLY not trying to win. What a joke, I feel for Thad and MCW, they play their asses off.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

I can’t say enough how thrilled I am about how bad and dysfunctional the Lakers have been this season. As someone who lives in southern California, more of these types of seasons from the Lakers are welcomed.

carey

Post by carey »

The Tom Ziller newsletter is archived: Here

In today's e-mail there was a section talking about the Sixers & their tanking. Has he made them too awful?

A couple of his points...
The Sixers' exploits this season just might get enough attention that the NBA Board of Governors decides to change up the draft order process for 2015 and beyond this summer, which could impact Hinkie's overall strategy negatively. He'll still get a potential star in 2014, but perhaps that means he loses out in 2015.
The losing remains poisonous years later.

This is The Tale of the Cleveland Cavaliers, as told by the bard Chris Grant. The Cavaliers aimed to be awful in 2011, 2012 and 2013. They ended up with two No. 1s and two No. 4s for their trouble. In 2014, they decided they would be good. They are 13 games below .500 and five games out of the playoffs. The GM who orchestrated the rebuild, Grant, is gone, as is the coach who oversaw the first three years.
The losing further alienates an already standoffish Philadelphia fanbase.

No one doubts that hardcore Sixers fans understand Hinkie's gambit. No one doubts, even, that hardcore Sixers explicitly approve of Hinkie's gambit. But you can't make money on just the hardcore fans. Few NBA teams can. To make money, you need to capture the imagination of the broader community.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

I hope Philly stays terrible, it's a disgrace. They gave away 2 of their best guys for what? A better shot at the 25% chance at the #1 pick? Statistically speaking, IIRC the worst team in the NBA has a greater chance at the 4th pick than it does at #1.

Philly has good, passionate fans, they don't deserve tanking, nobody does.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

carey

Post by carey »

Oh, and I guess Mark Cuban has said there have been more changes regarding officiating in the 1st 15 days of Adam Silver as there were under the last 14 years of David Stern.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

I assume one was to put refs who hate the Suns in every Suns home game..?
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Bruiser

Post by Bruiser »

Mori Chu wrote: that ECF series is going to be nuts.
Wow! Yeah. I hope so, too! Before the season started, I really thought the East might bring us some pretty cool playoff match ups. Bot now? Thinking about that huge ECF makes it however even harder for me to root for any sort of major upset!? On the other hand, I would really hate for the Heat to "threepeat", so anything but Miami coming out on top is a superfine result in my book :)

carey

Post by carey »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I assume one was to put refs who hate the Suns in every Suns home game..?
Ha. Well for one, the league is sending teams blown call reports: http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-bas ... ll-reports
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

Nice, those turds definitely need to be held accountable. Missing a call or 2 is one thing, but stuff like that obvious flop and lane violation vs Houston are unacceptable.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

carey

Post by carey »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Nice, those turds definitely need to be held accountable. Missing a call or 2 is one thing, but stuff like that obvious flop and lane violation vs Houston are unacceptable.
That's exactly what I thought when I saw that. That lane violation is maybe the biggest missed call I have ever seen. Because it was a full 3 Mississippi's before D-Mo even released the FT.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Nice, those turds definitely need to be held accountable. Missing a call or 2 is one thing, but stuff like that obvious flop and lane violation vs Houston are unacceptable.
Only thing that makes feel better about the umpiring in baseball is the officiating in the NBA :lol:

carey

Post by carey »

@sam_amick: NBA's Rod Thorn issues memo to teams indicating double-lane violation should have been called w/ 14 secs left in Houston-Phx Feb. 23 game.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

What's cracking, fellas?

Thanks for setting this up, Mori.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Shabazz wrote:What's cracking, fellas?

You bet, 'bazz! Let me know what I should add or change.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Mori Chu wrote:
Shabazz wrote:What's cracking, fellas?

You bet, 'bazz! Let me know what I should add or change.
Can you restrict access for the guy on RealGM who said he'd rather have Channing Frye than Kevin Love?

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

I dunno. I need some backup here with my unfounded and undying loyalties! ;)

TOO

Post by TOO »

Probably should go in a Suns news thread, but 2am = F it.

His trade offers are umm.. steep.

http://isportsweb.com/2014/02/26/kevin- ... -priority/
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

carey

Post by carey »

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-n ... F27%2F2014

Simmons comes up with trade destination for Love. Phoenix is the #1 spot but I don't think he gives up enough on our end.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!