Suns News: Week 9 12/22-12/28

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Nodack

Re: Suns News: Week 9 12/22-12/28

Post by Nodack »

Good night Indy. It was nice interacting with you tonight.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:The cap is going up, 14mil a year isn't that crazy an amount of money for a 24 yr old PG who still has a very high ceiling.
If I already have a point guard that I love, I'm not interested in having another one on a deal that "isn't that crazy." It's not necessary.
ShelC wrote:Greivis is playing now only because DeRozan is out but he's not even impacting Lowry.
That's not even remotely true. Vasquez has only seen an increase of 3 mpg since DeRozan's injury. They didn't resign for $6 million a year to have him sit on the bench. He was a significant part of their success last year and is a permanent fixture in their rotation. He also pairs well with Lou Williams.
ShelC wrote:And you can talk about injuries but Lowry had the same rap until last year.
Reputation and facts are two separate things. When Lowry was up for his deal, did he have two major knee injuries in 4 years? Had he just missed half the season? Has he ever missed half a season?
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Mori Chu wrote:Ring: I think you are giving INF grief he doesn't deserve.
Meh I don't care, don't read too much into it. I said my piece abut exaggerations and also that I'd leave at it and that's what I am going to do.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /20845009/
Bledsoe had 16 points, 11 assists and 10 rebounds, grabbing the 10th rebound in the final seconds.

"I was exhausted," Bledsoe said. "I was running around the basketball court like a chicken trying to find that last one."

In the final minute, a Charlie Villnaueva 3-pointer came off long and Goran Dragic went up for the rebound only to find a more determined rebounder.

Bledsoe powered it away from Dragic, knocking him to the ground before laughing and helping him up.

Dragic was the only Suns player who did not know Bledsoe was on the verge of a triple-double for four minutes.

"Everybody keeps saying I hurt Gogi," Bledsoe said as Dragic gave him a hard time from across the locker room.

"He's going to be out for like two weeks. I pray that doesn't happen."

Dragic led the Suns with 25 points, including a second-quarter stretch in which he scored 12 of the Suns' 18 points as they pulled ahead for good.

"Goran got rolling and really attacked and made some plays for us," Hornacek said. "That's what we need."

Dragic has led the Suns in scoring for five of the past 11 games after not doing so in the season's first 17 games.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

That was a funny moment. But can you imagine what would have happened if Dragon had gotten that rebound and Bledsoe had been 1 shy of a triple-double? That would not have gone over well. Or imagine if we'd somehow lost by a basket due to Bledsoe going for that 10th rebound? Our chemistry is fragile.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:I get what you are saying Saucy, but I think that is grossly understating IT. He is my 4th favorite PG on the team, so I am not coming at this from a biased point of view, but he leads our team in PER (and it isn't even close), and has been very effective on the court. He is also 2nd on our team in +/- to Markeiff.
I'm not disputing that, I just personally don't enjoy watching that style of play. completely the opposite of our Nash days that I've grown accustomed to.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It is completely opposite of the Nash days. There was only one Nash though and assists was his specialty. How many times would Nash leave the game and the offense would sputter to a stop? It was like they had to have Nash out there to make the offense run. Now we have a team full of guys who can create their own shots and no Nash. It's different, but different can still be good.

I don't think we are that far off. We have completely forgotten what a pick and roll was at the start of the season, but then again Plumlee was incapable of catching any pass unless you personally handed it to him. Len wasn't much better, but has improved and is starting now. The PGs are starting to trust him more, get him the ball and he is starting to deliver.

I know the 3 guards are too much for some. I am interested in seeing how the experiment turns out. I like all three of them. We have won some games at the end lately with all three on the floor. It's a potent weapon and exciting to watch for me at least.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Nodack wrote:It is completely opposite of the Nash days. There was only one Nash though and assists was his specialty. How many times would Nash leave the game and the offense would sputter to a stop? It was like they had to have Nash out there to make the offense run. Now we have a team full of guys who can create their own shots and no Nash. It's different, but different can still be good.

I don't think we are that far off. We have completely forgotten what a pick and roll was at the start of the season, but then again Plumlee was incapable of catching any pass unless you personally handed it to him. Len wasn't much better, but has improved and is starting now. The PGs are starting to trust him more, get him the ball and he is starting to deliver.

I know the 3 guards are too much for some. I am interested in seeing how the experiment turns out. I like all three of them. We have won some games at the end lately with all three on the floor. It's a potent weapon and exciting to watch for me at least.
+1
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Nodack wrote:It is completely opposite of the Nash days. There was only one Nash though and assists was his specialty. How many times would Nash leave the game and the offense would sputter to a stop? It was like they had to have Nash out there to make the offense run. Now we have a team full of guys who can create their own shots and no Nash. It's different, but different can still be good.

+1
Hi AIG, I am not up on the latest slang. I don't know what +1 means. Does that mean I got fouled, but made the shot?

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Its the equivalent of "liking" a post and the counter keeps track of how many up-votes or reputation points or whatever.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Sorry if already posted: A few of the young bucks going to the D league. Looks like TJ isn't going to get any immediate minutes following the Tolliver trade

http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2014/ ... akersfield

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Oddly enough Zoran not sent down to get some run. Any one think he may play in the near future? I cant see it with the rotation being tightened lately

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Simply a reflection of the fact that TJ can't beat out PJ, Gerald or Marcus for minutes at this point.

Of the 3, Archie's the longest way from contributing.

Given our depth, I'm struggling to see how our young guys will ever get playing time. If we re-sign Goran, shouldn't we trade Archie for his own good?

It seems like rookies get less and less PT every year around the league. Does anyone think this has something to do with the fact that players have longer careers now, and players are healthier, and thus, rookies have a much tougher time getting minutes? It's not really talked about, but that's my perception.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think it's also political. We know TJ can score and has shown he can bang and defend a bit. If he takes the place of PJ, Gerald or Marcus, it drives down any value they have. And in the end, what's he bringing to the table that the other guys can't bring? He's not a defender like PJ or an athlete/shooter like Green. I don't like Marcus but he's still probably not as all around skilled.

Archie needs the run the most. He's so young that he needs game situations. Even if we re-sign Goran, I think Archie has value here, especially if Green isn't re-signed. And he can play in the backcourt with any of our other guys.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:Rob Mahoney on the Suns in limbo:

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/12/26/phoeni ... ndamentals
Yeah, hate to say it but he's pretty much spot on. I can't see them bringing in a difference maker at this point but we'll see. Our only other hope this year is that Len continues to take the next step.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Superbone wrote:
Shabazz wrote:Rob Mahoney on the Suns in limbo:

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/12/26/phoeni ... ndamentals
Yeah, hate to say it but he's pretty much spot on. I can't see them bringing in a difference maker at this point but we'll see. Our only other hope this year is that Len continues to take the next step.
Our interior D with/without him is night and day. Now we just got to make the same true on offense.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:I think it's also political. We know TJ can score and has shown he can bang and defend a bit. If he takes the place of PJ, Gerald or Marcus, it drives down any value they have.
This.
ShelC wrote: And in the end, what's he bringing to the table that the other guys can't bring? He's not a defender like PJ or an athlete/shooter like Green. I don't like Marcus but he's still probably not as all around skilled.
The problem is, even though each one of those guys (except for Marcus, who isn't consistently good) can do something better than Warren, Warren doesn't have their fatal flaws.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.