Game Day: Suns (22-16) @ Spurs (21-15), Fri 1/9/15

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
OE32

Re: Game Day: Suns (22-16) @ Spurs (21-15), Fri 1/9/15

Post by OE32 »

Hey, I like Hornacek too, but there's been some bad coaching going on. And I think it's to assuage the feelings of the vets. We'll see, we'll see.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

The issues conducting to this loss were also all over the place the past games, (low intensity in the 1st Q, silly turnovers, wing players taking the ball up instead of the PG, abusing the 3pt shot, leaving the defensive effort to a couple players, staying behind barking to the referees, technicals, disrespecting the coach, etc) as all of them were discused in any given game thread, the diference is that we have managed to get the win.

The Marcus incident would have been taken more seriously by everybody if it had happened yesterday. Truth is, at different degrees and styles, the Morri (technicals), Bledsoe (low effort), Green (shot selection), Thomas (overdribbling), Tucker (little dosis of Morri, Bledsoe and Green) have been allowed all season long to get away with behaviour detrimental to the team and the development of the young players as they also learn by example. That's 2/3 of your rotation right there, so this is not about the players, it is about the coach.

Human nature goes for pushing the limits on everything, bedtime struggles with children shows us than we are reluctant to be disciplined even from the craddle. You can't be displicent with your people during the good times and dismiss shit ,and suddenly be upset with the same shit the day it costs you a game. It's one thing to be relaxed, and another entirely diferent to be displicent. We are seeing a living example of that.
Last edited by Aztec Sunsfan on Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

EDC

Post by EDC »

"It wasn't the reason we lost the game," Tucker said. "Definitely wasn't the reason we lost the game. It was a bad technical, and I apologize for the technical ... but the tech didn't lose the game."
Isn't that nice. Tucker letting himself off the hook. He should have stepped up and said the techs cost them the game. Even with all the turnovers. Giving away 2 points with 2 minutes to go was beyond harmful.
Last edited by EDC on Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

EDC

Post by EDC »

OE32 wrote:Also, while I like Coro, his extraordinary reluctance to write anything damaging to the franchise irks me. Doesn't criticize the Morrises. Quotes Hornacek saying that the problem was our rebounders passing it to players other than the point guards - are you serious? Putting this on Alex?? Soon as we took him out, Spurs went right to the bucket - and it was predictable! The problem with turnovers WAS our point guards - 11 between the 3 of them. And those awful, nothing fouls from IT and Bled in the fourth - inexcusable. No discipline on this roster.

Did Coach really say the bigs were at fault for the turnovers of others? That is insane.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

I think Hornacek thinks of the team in terms of hierarchy. Look at the Spurs. Took the stars out and beat us. Hornacek thinks the guys at the top should play and shoot, the guys at the bottom of the totem shouldn't. Maybe Pop's players can handle not playing on an emotional level, whereas our guys can't. I don't know. It stinks.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

EDC wrote:
"It wasn't the reason we lost the game," Tucker said. "Definitely wasn't the reason we lost the game. It was a bad technical, and I apologize for the technical ... but the tech didn't lose the game."
Isn't that nice. Tucker letting himself off the hook. He should have stepped up and said the techs cost them the game. Even with all the turnovers. Giving away 2 points with 2 minutes to go was beyond harmful.
In my mind, I'm done with Tucker after this. The reason the Suns have him goes beyond the court -- he is being asked to be a clubhouse leader. This isn't it. At least the Twins are apologetic even if they can't quite control themselves.

If there are any players who are refusing to listen to Hornacek, management needs to back him up and ship their asses out of the Valley.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Those 2 technicals were completely unacceptable. The excuses and statement from Tucker make it even worse. He should sit out next game in street clothes. I'm livid.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Mori Chu wrote:Those 2 technicals were completely unacceptable. The excuses and statement from Tucker make it even worse. He should sit out next game in street clothes. I'm livid.
I'm with you, if that hasn't been obvious. And Hornacek simply has not controlled these guys. Awful, awful. People were pissed after the Clippers game and the Bucks game, but this is the game. Management just doubled down on this squad by bringing in Wright, and what do we do? Unbelievable.

And if IT thinks he's so friggin great, why is he getting destroyed by ANY backup in this league?

No matter what these guys do in the game, they stay on the court. Bad shots, bad fouls, bad turnovers, techs, they stay on the court. Now - only now - that two techs cost us a game, is Hornacek willing to pull his guys. Last year he was golden, but Hornacek keeps that leash so slack, now there's turds all over the neighborhood. GAAAH!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

OE32 wrote:For me, that was the most painful game of the season. We just traded for a one-year rental to push toward the playoffs, and Kawhi's out, and we're completely healthy, and we technical our way to a critical loss.
Dragic and Bledsoe were sick. Go check out Dragic's interview after the game on AZCentral.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

SDC

Post by SDC »

OE32 wrote:I think Hornacek thinks of the team in terms of hierarchy. Look at the Spurs. Took the stars out and beat us. Hornacek thinks the guys at the top should play and shoot, the guys at the bottom of the totem shouldn't. Maybe Pop's players can handle not playing on an emotional level, whereas our guys can't. I don't know. It stinks.
it is the suns players (except for dragic maybe) who think in terms of hierarchy. there's no way horny can bench bledsoe and IT in the 4th and let ennis play. they will pout!

EDC

Post by EDC »

http://bcove.me/tsdfvso3

There is the actual interview where Coro got the quote from.

SDC

Post by SDC »

OE32 wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:Those 2 technicals were completely unacceptable. The excuses and statement from Tucker make it even worse. He should sit out next game in street clothes. I'm livid.
I'm with you, if that hasn't been obvious. And Hornacek simply has not controlled these guys. Awful, awful. People were pissed after the Clippers game and the Bucks game, but this is the game. Management just doubled down on this squad by bringing in Wright, and what do we do? Unbelievable.

And if IT thinks he's so friggin great, why is he getting destroyed by ANY backup in this league?

No matter what these guys do in the game, they stay on the court. Bad shots, bad fouls, bad turnovers, techs, they stay on the court. Now - only now - that two techs cost us a game, is Hornacek willing to pull his guys. Last year he was golden, but Hornacek keeps that leash so slack, now there's turds all over the neighborhood. GAAAH!
having three point guards that you need to give minutes to ruins your gameplan and your rotation. the suns had a system last season. this year because of microball 3pg hydra system, they do more freestyling.

the question is, who will get fired first, horny or mcdo.
Last edited by SDC on Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EDC

Post by EDC »

I think it will be the third option. IT being traded.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

EDC wrote:I think it will be the third option. IT being traded.
I just don't see the team he'd go to.

Cap

Post by Cap »

EDC wrote:Someone got the gif up of the Len dunk.

That gorgeous dunk would have been waved off if the refs had been watching Tucker.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
EDC wrote:Someone got the gif up of the Len dunk.

That gorgeous dunk would have been waved off if the refs had been watching Tucker.
I don't think so. They were going at each other. Could have been called a double-foul maybe, if the pay had broken down.

EDC

Post by EDC »