Suns Trading for Brandan Wright

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Shabazz

Re: Suns Trading for Brandan Wright

Post by Shabazz »

SDC wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
SDC wrote:pointless move. why get wright when you already have plumlee and len? adding more redundant players doesnt move the needle. instead of getting a stretch 5 or a back to the basket center, mcdo added another sam delambert type. the sig stays.
Answer to your questions.

1. Because Wright is better than Plumlee.
2. Because Wright is a better center than Keef.
3. Because Wright is a better backup pf than Mook.
4. Because Wright adds a better defensive presence at the pf/c position than Plumlee or Keef.
5. Because Wright allows the team to play through injuries without playing so small.
6. Because Wright gives the Suns flexibility to include a big or bigs in a trade (like IT and Plumlee for a pf or c, or the Morris twins along with IT for a star pf).
7. Because Wright add 6 more fouls (with decent play) at the pf and c position. With Lens fouling woes and Keef's T's this might come in handy.

and I am just getting started.
Also...

Because Wright >>>>>> O'Neal.

SDC, I'm not sure you're correctly remembering the JO era in Phoenix. He was good individually, but he was a ball stopper in the post while not being tremendously effective down there. I don't think we're looking for a plodding big man to run our bench offense through and I'm more than OK with that.
you're the one who is not remembering things correctly. what you remember as him being a "ball stopper", i remember the suns feeding him the ball and running isolation plays FOR HIM. the suns dont run plays for len or plumlee and i predict they wont run plays for brandon wright too. you say wright can P/R, but oneal has the P/R and P/Pop game...
Then we remember the same thing. The 2nd worst team in the history of the franchise running offense through an over the hill center. I'm in no hurry to revisit that, especially with said center being two years further over the hill.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Shabazz wrote:
SDC wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
SDC wrote:pointless move. why get wright when you already have plumlee and len? adding more redundant players doesnt move the needle. instead of getting a stretch 5 or a back to the basket center, mcdo added another sam delambert type. the sig stays.
Answer to your questions.

1. Because Wright is better than Plumlee.
2. Because Wright is a better center than Keef.
3. Because Wright is a better backup pf than Mook.
4. Because Wright adds a better defensive presence at the pf/c position than Plumlee or Keef.
5. Because Wright allows the team to play through injuries without playing so small.
6. Because Wright gives the Suns flexibility to include a big or bigs in a trade (like IT and Plumlee for a pf or c, or the Morris twins along with IT for a star pf).
7. Because Wright add 6 more fouls (with decent play) at the pf and c position. With Lens fouling woes and Keef's T's this might come in handy.

and I am just getting started.
Also...

Because Wright >>>>>> O'Neal.

SDC, I'm not sure you're correctly remembering the JO era in Phoenix. He was good individually, but he was a ball stopper in the post while not being tremendously effective down there. I don't think we're looking for a plodding big man to run our bench offense through and I'm more than OK with that.
you're the one who is not remembering things correctly. what you remember as him being a "ball stopper", i remember the suns feeding him the ball and running isolation plays FOR HIM. the suns dont run plays for len or plumlee and i predict they wont run plays for brandon wright too. you say wright can P/R, but oneal has the P/R and P/Pop game...
Then we remember the same thing. The 2nd worst team in the history of the franchise running offense through an over the hill center. I'm in no hurry to revisit that, especially with said center being two years further over the hill.
he is not to blame for the suns sucking. the next year, oneal moved to GSW and did pretty well there himself.

no other teams were beating at wright's doorstep to get his services. the fact that boston asked for 2 2nd round picks means they'd rather get rid of him than demand something close to equal value.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

He wasn't a fit, period. Boston is rebuilding. Their style of play wasn't conducive to Wright and his athletic skillset. You aren't on the inside of the NBA. You have no clue what GM's or teams discuss. Your speculation on interest in said players, along with any of us speculating on interest or discussed trades is worthless.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Put me down as another fan of this move. Gives the Sun much needed depth up front.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I'm a big fan of this move too - I don't think those #2's were going to be a lot of help. We already have prospects without playing time piling up at the end of the bench.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

carey

Post by carey »

He's joining the team tomorrow so we'll probably see him Sunday.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

So it is official. Wright (24'3) has the highest PER on the Suns, dethroning IT3 (20'3).

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

For that price, getting Wright is a no brainer.
Finally someone to roll on pick and rolls!

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Furlanfufi wrote:For that price, getting Wright is a no brainer.
Finally someone to roll on pick and rolls!
Agree. The biggest thing is that we've lost that pick and roll, athletic PF/C we had last year in Miles Plumlee. A guy you could toss a lob to and he'd drop in a dunk ally oop. Plumlee started to crumble last year and it's carried into this year. His offense has become laughable and his hands are terrible. He's basically a guy that can snag some boards and block a few shots, but even then, he's getting beat far too frequently. It's too bad. Not sure what happened.

I think we'll get that back with Wright but even better than when Plumlee was at his best at one time. Add the emergence of Len and I definitely see him as a great addition without giving up much of anything that causes me to be upset.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

EDC wrote:Is Wright tradeable before the deadline?
He's tradeable right now. Any one player can be traded at any time. The restrictions come into play when you're trying to combine one or more players with a player just recently acquired. But this does not apply to the Suns because they should be under the cap by at least $1 million.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

AmareIsGod wrote:He wasn't a fit, period. Boston is rebuilding. Their style of play wasn't conducive to Wright and his athletic skillset.
That's really not true at all.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

SDC

Post by SDC »

INFORMER wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:He wasn't a fit, period. Boston is rebuilding. Their style of play wasn't conducive to Wright and his athletic skillset.
That's really not true at all.
schooled!

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

I'd say its a nice move. Nothing extrodinary, but the value is there. He was playing very solidly for the mavs the last few yrs before the Celtics deal. I dunno if this trade moves the needle that much in terms of the suns playoff chances but I think it does make their front court better. It is minimal risk. This won't effect Len at all and I think the thinking is the Suns want length and a rim protector on the court at all times, so your more likely to see Miles get effected by this then Len.I still remember Brandon Wright playing at UNC. Golden State thought so highly of him they dealt good olde Jrich to charlotte for him on draft night.

BTW, Anyone else really like what Danny Ainge is doing in Boston? 11 1st rd picks in the next four years, but he now has the ability to move up and down the draft board or aquire a big name with all those picks. Nice building blocks in Smart and Sully as well. Thought he could of done better then James Young(Gary Harris?) but we'lls ee how he turns out. I love the fact he jumped out ahead of the deadline with Rondo and Green and got value before it was too late. Also, not that this surpised a lot of people, but he absolutely fleeced the Nets in that Pierce/KG deal.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

2 first round picks for Wright seems like a good deal. Athletic with a decent motor. Even if it is a rental those 2 first rounders will be worthless if the roster stays the same. Solid move. He was a coveted player by alot of teams.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

AmareIsGod wrote:He wasn't a fit, period. Boston is rebuilding. Their style of play wasn't conducive to Wright and his athletic skillset. You aren't on the inside of the NBA. You have no clue what GM's or teams discuss. Your speculation on interest in said players, along with any of us speculating on interest or discussed trades is worthless.
Ainge is gathering as many assets as possible. Wright provides him no long term value. He is a FA this summer and there is no way he is staying with the Celtics. So Ainge turned him into some picks. He will then use those to draft as many players as possible and hope that he really hits on one or tow. Or he will package them to try to aquire a player he wants.

Either way, Brandan Wright is of no value to him, because he is not trying to win now. If he was trying to win now, he would have kept Rondo.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Wright was not a fit for the franchise (GM), but he would have been a very good fit for the team (coach) next to either Sully or Olynyk. As an expiring they had no business keeping him. Good for both parties.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

So, McD calls Wright the "best backup center in the league." Whoa. Looks like Miles has gone from starter to out of the rotation. :shock:

TOO

Post by TOO »

Who will miss him, honestly?

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I suspect we will see fewer minutes on the court for the following - Plumlee, Tucker, Marcus Morris and perhaps Green. No more Marcus or Tucker as backup PF I would hope, and the same for Markieff at C.

Rotation players? -

C - Alex Len, Miles Plumlee
PF - Markieff Morris, Brandan Wright
SF - P.J. Tucker, Marcus Morris
SG - Goran Dragic, Gerald Green
PF - Eric Bledsoe, Isaiah Thomas

Outside looking in: T.J. Warren, Archie Goodwin, Tyler Ennis, Shavlik Randolph, Zoran Dragic

Realistically, this team is ripe for a 2-for-1 or 3-for-1 trade if anyone is looking to rebuild by moving a quality player for something to start building around (like the Nance & Sanders for KJ, West, Corbin and draft picks trade we made years ago).
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

I suspect that the real impact of Brandon Wright on the Suns would be to increase our fast break scoring via interior defense and shot-blocking.

The premise of the 3 point guard lineup was that having three starting quality PGs would enable them to go balls to the wall every single play, and simply wear the opposing team down with relentlessness. This has worked to some extent, but what we've seen just as much is ballhoggediness from each of the three in the half court.

Having a second shotblocker and interior defender will hopefully create more fast break opportunities, moving the Suns closer to the original premise of running all the time. Furthermore, Wright is another finisher on the fast break, and can outrun most centers and power forwards in the league. Hence, I see him as an investment in the fast break offense, which has only materialized to some degree.