Is Alex Len a bust?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Is Alex Len a bust?

Yes, he is a major bust.
No votes
Sort of; he is a disappointment, but not a total bust.
8%
Not really; he has a lot of potential.
25%
It is too soon to tell.
67%

Total votes: 24

Mori Chu

Is Alex Len a bust?

Post by Mori Chu »

We have seen several months of Alex Len, though he hasn't gotten consistent minutes. What do you think of him so far? Did we make the right pick at #5?

Mori Chu

Re: Is Alex Len a bust?

Post by Mori Chu »

Myself, I'm pretty disappointed in him so far. I know he hasn't gotten minutes, but that's partly because he hasn't really deserved them. I don't see much from him yet. You want more than this out of a top-5 pick. We probably won't have a #5 pick again for a long time so it's a bummer that it went on a guy who isn't a contributor in any meaningful way. I want to choose "It is too soon to tell" but I think that's kind of a cop-out answer. So far, not very encouraging. Maybe next year after a full healthy training camp he can show us more.

carey

Post by carey »

It's much too soon to tell. I think, maybe, he was picked a little early. However, this was an abnormally weak draft. If we got a starting C out of that pick I'll be happy. We all know that it takes big men years to develop so we're going to have to show a little patience. We keep comparing him to the likes of Plumlee, but Plumlee is a 2nd year player that is already 25 years old. He has 5 more years of basketball experience than Len where he learned from the best college coach there is for 4 of them. Lets cut Alex Len a little slack.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

Way too soon to tell, he was never afforded the luxury of a good camp or SL. He's 20, came in hurt, there is no reason to even think he's a bust. He's shown glimpses of the skill he was drafted for, he just needs time to develop. Also, it's not easy to play yourself into shape. Big numbers from 7'1" 250lb 20 yo rookies is a very rare thing. I'm not even gonna start judging him til he's had a full camp and SL under his belt.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

JeffreyLee

Post by JeffreyLee »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Way too soon to tell, he was never afforded the luxury of a good camp or SL. He's 20, came in hurt, there is no reason to even think he's a bust. He's shown glimpses of the skill he was drafted for, he just needs time to develop. Also, it's not easy to play yourself into shape. Big numbers from 7'1" 250lb 20 yo rookies is a very rare thing. I'm not even gonna start judging him til he's had a full camp and SL under his belt.

I agree with this. At twenty years old we can afford to be patient with him.
You sold me two quier giraffes

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Len showed some flashes last month, but he's regressed to the point where it looks like he's never seen a damn basketball court in his life.

it's early, but also a bit worrysome.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

It's too soon Mori. He has missed all summer activities and by the time he got healthy enough to step on the court, the team was immersed in a merciless playoff race.

As far as I am concerned, he'll still be basically a rookie next season, and that's when I will start to scrutinize his game and production.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Waaay too soon to call him a bust. I've really liked the flashes I've seen when he was getting consistent time about a month ago. He's since lost Hornacek's confidence a little and has a very short leash every game. He needs to string together a few solid games in a row if he's gonna make an impact this year. But I'm counting on incremental growth and hopefully a very solid player by year 3.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

This thread really needs Robot.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

INFy! Great to see you here, buddy!

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Thanks Mori! :)
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:This thread really needs Robot.
Ha!
"Be Legendary."

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

I still like his potential (I was advocating picking him before the draft) but realistically it's too early to tell. I wouldn't expect much next year either but if we're not seeing something by year 3 I'll be worried.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Too soon to call a bust. I still think, if he can stay healthy, he'll be a solid starting center. This is a lost year for him, we'll know more after this summer.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

They always say (who's they?) big men take longer to develop. Look at Robin Lopez. He was so inconsistent for so long and now he seems to be a decent starting center for a very good Portland team.
"Be Legendary."

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

So it seems Randolph will be taking Lens minutes. Can't see him getting minutes unless both Randolph and Plumlee are really stinking it up and/or we are getting killed by an a big center. What do you guys see as the goals for him for the rest of the year? Get some more time in the D league or just keep him on ice for next year and let him improve bit by bit during practice whilst watching games from the pine? On a selfish note I wouldnt mind seeing him getting a stint in the D league purely because I want to see how he looks currently in extended minutes + maybe give him a little more confidence/match practice. I really want to see how he goes in the summer league next year.

carey

Post by carey »

I want him to take an extended trip to the D-League as well.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

carey wrote:I want him to take an extended trip to the D-League as well.
It seems that they want him to be with the team, and I would only be guessing that the training staff wants to keep close tabs on him. I would hope that they feel confident enough with his strength and health of his feet to let him get some extended run in the D-League. I want to see him play hard and fast every minute he's on he floor. It's a lot easier to make big gains when you can keep improving your speed while implementing your skill.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I think it's silly to ask this question after a year. In three years (two more) I think we'll know the answer.
"Be Legendary."

Culburn369

Post by Culburn369 »

Is Donough going to answer for this, or, are we going to sweep it under the rug like Tom Chamber's DUI, or, somehow blame Blanks for it?