Is Alex Len a bust?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Is Alex Len a bust?

Yes, he is a major bust.
No votes
Sort of; he is a disappointment, but not a total bust.
8%
Not really; he has a lot of potential.
25%
It is too soon to tell.
67%

Total votes: 24

INFORMER

Re: Is Alex Len a bust?

Post by INFORMER »

Ring_Wanted wrote: In my opinion he looks better now than at the time because what came after him was awful beyond words, but I wouldn't give him more than a C.
Yeah, that's about what I would give him as well.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

LazarusLong wrote:Nope, he cracked it early on in the game on a drive to hoop. He's toast for the season.
Really disappointing. It was great seeing him back. Theres very little chance they resign him next year, though. I feel bad for LB. Seeing him out there with Dragic and Frye was great.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Several Western teams are clearly better than this year's Suns. Spurs, OKC, Clips, and Houston for sure. All of those teams are flawed, but they are steadier and stronger overall right now. I think we can be an elite team in the West in a year or two with some luck and maybe one big FA signing or trade. I think this summer will be huge for us. I'm all in for Kevin Love.

TOO

Post by TOO »

So aside from the Steven Hunter foul syndrome, he looked a little better in the 5 mins I got to see him. :lol:
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:They always say (who's they?) big men take longer to develop. Look at Robin Lopez. He was so inconsistent for so long and now he seems to be a decent starting center for a very good Portland team.
But generally speaking, if it's going to take a prospect 3-5 years to be just a solid NBA player, you probably shouldn't be drafting him in the top 20. You have to ask yourself: is it really worth the invest (the pick, the time, the roster spot, etc.) when the return is going to be so minimal?

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

INFORMER wrote:
Superbone wrote:They always say (who's they?) big men take longer to develop. Look at Robin Lopez. He was so inconsistent for so long and now he seems to be a decent starting center for a very good Portland team.
But generally speaking, if it's going to take a prospect 3-5 years to be just a solid NBA player, you probably shouldn't be drafting him in the top 20. You have to ask yourself: is it really worth the invest (the pick, the time, the roster spot, etc.) when the return is going to be so minimal?
It looks as though you don't think Alex is the next Kevin McHale :cry:

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
How do you know the return will be minimal? Time will tell. Obviously, McDonough doesn't agree with you.
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote: How do you know the return will be minimal? Time will tell. Obviously, McDonough doesn't agree with you.
Charlie Smithy! wrote: It looks as though you don't think Alex is the next Kevin McHale :cry:
I guess both of you missed the part of my post where I said "generally." I wasn't talking about any specific player. If anything, I was speaking to 'bone's Robin Lopez example, which is why I quoted that.

And just for the record, Lance Blanks didn't agree with me either.

Culburn369

Post by Culburn369 »

At least this is one calamity you can't blame on Blanks.

Donough:::big deal. Now he's trying to figure out how to short sell Bledsoe. :lol:

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Superbone wrote: How do you know the return will be minimal? Time will tell. Obviously, McDonough doesn't agree with you.
Charlie Smithy! wrote: It looks as though you don't think Alex is the next Kevin McHale :cry:
I guess both of you missed the part of my post where I said "generally." I wasn't talking about any specific player. If anything, I was speaking to 'bone's Robin Lopez example, which is why I quoted that.

And just for the record, Lance Blanks didn't agree with me either.
You're right. I thought you were specifically talking about Len.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I didn't like the Len pick, but most of the draft has been pretty underwhelming and most of the other guys available at that pick haven't done anything either. Maybe Len will develop over time. I haven't really watched him play many times.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Would it be safe to assume Len after the last two starts will still get some minutes this year even after Plumlee comes back? Apologies for all the questions, but I'm stuck in Malaysia currently. So as well as seasonal pollution haze and water shortages (but no new rules to encourage reduced water consumption) I cant see the suns play a great deal. I'm always keen to watch Len's progress because he was McD's first pick

TOO

Post by TOO »

I think he'll probably get a few minutes per game til the playoffs should we make it, after that I don't expect to see him barring an injury to Plumlee or Shav. Plumlee getting banged up was good for Len, he's learning what he needs to work on.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

We won't know what we have until Year 3. Look at any of the better big men around the league. With the exception of athletic freaks Blake Griffin and Dwight Howard, how many dominated their first few years? Hibbert's a case in point. Also keep in mind that Len's not 100% physically yet.

I'm thinking Ilgauskas, hopefully without the chronic foot injuries.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

I'm also happy about the way Hornacek is bringing the rookies along, meaning that they have to earn time on the court. It prevents them from developing bad habits.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

virtual9mm wrote:We won't know what we have until Year 3. Look at any of the better big men around the league. With the exception of athletic freaks Blake Griffin and Dwight Howard, how many dominated their first few years? Hibbert's a case in point. Also keep in mind that Len's not 100% physically yet.

I'm thinking Ilgauskas, hopefully without the chronic foot injuries.
I really don't think it's a matter of dominating from day one. No one expects that. I think generally speaking, you would like to see something like Antetokoumpo in Milwaukee. He's clearly raw and is far from a finished product, but from the get-go he looks like he belongs and can already impact the game and contribute. Can't really say that about Alex Len.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Oh, he's had some moments, which is a good sign. It's as bad sign, though, that he hasn't improved as the season has gone along, and that he's lost some of his confidence. I think that a stint in the D-league would be good for him...but the Suns need bodies for the playoff run.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Aside from needing bodies, I don't think Len or the Suns can afford for him to be away from the training staff.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

^This
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Good point. Warlocks are good.