If Amare bolts, Mavs are frontrunners for his services

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
SDC

If Amare bolts, Mavs are frontrunners for his services

Post by SDC »

this is sad.

if only the suns team had a more secure playoff spot, the suns would be the favorite to land amare.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/i ... sue-buyout

i guess jermaine o neal is the consolation prize... oops, the mavs are also favorites to get him too

SDC

Re: If Amare bolts, Mavs are frontrunners for his services

Post by SDC »

the suns have more to offer amare in terms of salaries. pick him up for cheap this season, then offer him a 2yr, 8 mil offer next season.

Robot

Post by Robot »

yes this should definitely happen. I feel like he would come here , but who knows. I brought this up in another board. What What. Maybe consolation prize is the Morris triplet that lives in a mental institution but has been practicing his shot.

-R

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

He's actually gotten better playing inside and rebounding but he just can't play consistently. I will say I don't think the Knicks training staff is any good and maybe our guys could keep him on the floor night in and night out more consistently with limited minutes. But he can't play back to backs and he tends to get "tweak" injuries like ankle/wrist sprains that keep him out. Those may or may not be cover for resting his knees...who knows.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

And of course he still can't guard anybody.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

jkalldaway

Post by jkalldaway »

Amare at the league minimum is very enticing. It's a value contract. SDC, please understand that things leak to the media for a reason. Think about who has more to gain by planting this story. There will be more suitors than the Mavs.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

He'll want to play for a contender tho and he's already played with Chandler in NY.

I think his one on one defense has improved but he still get's caught looking (or not at all) as a help defender.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

What issue of ours does Amare help solve? Who do we cut to sign him?

carey

Post by carey »

Shabazz wrote:What issue of ours does Amare help solve? Who do we cut to sign him?
None really. More scoring from the PF spot but our problems (defense at the 4 & even 5 with Len out) would remain. I remain convinced if we could replace Eric, Tucker, & Green with smarter versions of themselves we would be a pretty good team. Our collective low basketball IQ has been routinely exposed at the end of games. It is also obvious to anyone watching that you can pressure all 3 of our PGs into a turnover or bad decision at the end of games. I mean... logic would dictate one of the three would be alright but no.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

cbesch5

Post by cbesch5 »

Shabazz wrote:What issue of ours does Amare help solve? Who do we cut to sign him?
In my opinion, he gives us depth at PF (a real PF). He gives us someone to turn to when Kieff is shooting 3-19 from the field...

I would not be against trading Green for a draft pick (first if you could get it, but very doubtful as an expiring contract) to open the roster spot, especially after watching TJ last night. I think he can step into Greens minutes right away and produce.

Cap

Post by Cap »

cbesch5 wrote:
In my opinion, he gives us depth at PF (a real PF). He gives us someone to turn to when Kieff is shooting 3-19 from the field...
The thing is, Keef actually played well in the clutch. It's not his fault the refs called him for a charge on a clear blocking foul.

cbesch5

Post by cbesch5 »

Cap wrote:
cbesch5 wrote:
The thing is, Keef actually played well in the clutch. It's not his fault the refs called him for a charge on a clear blocking foul.
I agree w/ it being a bad call, but would it have come down to that call costing us basically the game if we had a bench PF on our team who could have taken some of those mins and maybe made some of those shots throughout the game?

Cap

Post by Cap »

cbesch5 wrote:
Cap wrote:
cbesch5 wrote:
I agree w/ it being a bad call, but would it have come down to that call costing us basically the game if we had a bench PF on our team who could have taken some of those mins and maybe made some of those shots throughout the game?
That is a genuine weakness in the roster as currently constructed. Keef is basically our only legit PF (though we occasionally have the privilege of playing Wright a few minutes at PF when Len is healthy), and our best go-to scorer in the half court. We struggle mightily when he's not on the court. We outscore opponents by 8.4 points per 48 minutes when he's on the court and get outscored by 8.1/48 when he isn't, which is one of the highest differentials in the league. It would be nice to have another guy on the roster who can do what he does, not only for nights when he doesn't have it, but also for the occasional game when he can't play 48 minutes.

cbesch5

Post by cbesch5 »

^^ Agree

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I am desperate to get a real pick and roll partner for Dragic. I've even thought about David Lee, but Amare might be an option. 12-5 off the bench at PF could represent a nice try at salvaging the season.

I'd still try to move some rotation players, though.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Brandan Wright should be a crazy PnR partner for Dragic. What's his deal?

Cap

Post by Cap »

Can't shoot more than five feet from the basket?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

If he's rolling all he has to do is catch and dunk.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I just don't think there have been many plays where (a) Dragic is operating the pick-and-roll as our primary ballhandler; and (b) Wright is on the floor. They haven't really done much pick-and-roll at all this year, which I think is one of our big problems. And even if they did, Dragic is not the one handling the ball for us, so he and Wright wouldn't be likely to try it.

SDC

Post by SDC »

he can be converted to a stretch 5 and be a legit pick and roll/pop threat with goran or bledsoe.

suns should keep wright for this season as insurance if the potential amare signing flops and the suns are still going for the playoffs.