Game Day: Suns (38-36) @ Blazers (47-25), Mon 3/30/15

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Game Day: Suns (38-36) @ Blazers (47-25), Mon 3/30/15

Post by Superbone »

OE32 wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Sunsfan4life wrote:This notion that the suns have become a bottom dweller is only seen in Phoenix...are they mediocore right now? yes they are. Did you expect them not to be 2 years removed from one of the worst seasons in franchise history? Well....thats up to you.
Why go back two seasons? Why not start at the beginning of this one? We had a surprise season last year. My expectation was to build on that. Not take a step back which is what happened. We are a worse team now than we were at the end of last season. I'd say substantially worse.
You're looking at cash flow, my brotha! Spot the balance sheet! We on the way up!
I like your approach. Hopefully just a momentary dip on the way to the top.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Sunsfan4life wrote:This notion that the suns have become a bottom dweller is only seen in Phoenix...are they mediocore right now? yes they are. Did you expect them not to be 2 years removed from one of the worst seasons in franchise history? Well....thats up to you.
Why go back two seasons? Why not start at the beginning of this one? We had a surprise season last year. My expectation was to build on that. Not take a step back which is what happened. We are a worse team now than we were at the end of last season. I'd say substantially worse.
I think the problem was that we didn't built on last season.

We "rounded up" not one, but TWO logjams in the backcourt and at SF during the draft, then engage in a unicorn hunt with Lebron, later tried to outsmart ourselves with the IT signing to put pressure on Bledsoe and to some degree Goran, proceed to bring too many youngsters to the fold without a clear plan to develop them, and worse of all, we kept the coach on a playoff hunt, even after was clear that even if we make it, would be next to useless, because the team is deeply flawed as currently built and changes would come sooner or later. The front office should have reacted sooner and go back to the drawing table, either to reload for that playoff spot, or the make room for development and throw the towel on the season.
I agree.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Superbone wrote:
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Superbone wrote:
I think the problem was that we didn't built on last season.

We "rounded up" not one, but TWO logjams in the backcourt and at SF during the draft, then engage in a unicorn hunt with Lebron, later tried to outsmart ourselves with the IT signing to put pressure on Bledsoe and to some degree Goran, proceed to bring too many youngsters to the fold without a clear plan to develop them, and worse of all, we kept the coach on a playoff hunt, even after was clear that even if we make it, would be next to useless, because the team is deeply flawed as currently built and changes would come sooner or later. The front office should have reacted sooner and go back to the drawing table, either to reload for that playoff spot, or the make room for development and throw the towel on the season.
I agree.
You can only "gather assets" (in the form of tradeable players) for so long, and you can only hold them for a limited period of time before they start to devalue themselves though lack of pt, dissatisfaction, and disunity in the locker room.

Even draft picks as horded assets are a problem, because, if you cannot trade them, you have to use them, creating a glut of younger players.

I predict problems for the Sixers with regard to this.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Why go back two seasons? Why not start at the beginning of this one?
Because thats when Ryan started. I'm a body of work guy. Dragic quit on us halfway through the year or we could very well have a similar record to last yr...
We had a surprise season last year. My expectation was to build on that. Not take a step back which is what happened. We are a worse team now than we were at the end of last season. I'd say substantially worse.
[/quote]

On the court we will win a few less games then last year, but the fans enjoyment level is why this season has seemed so bad. Fans expected way more then last year. In reality it was never part of Ryans plan to almost make the playoffs last year, Infact he purged the roster more then added to it and people before the yr were saying we were tanking on purpose. We overacheived due to years by Dragic and particularly Green that will go down as their career years most likely. This off-season he let frye walk and added IT. Frye has looked like a corpse in Orlando, so on paper we had better players it just didn't work out chemistry wise and there is a reason Green has floated around the league like he has, you saw it this yr.

One can argue we have better positioned ourselves for the future. Alex Len has made some strides and looks like he is a big man to build around, T.J has shown promise, They added 3 1st rd picks, 2 of which might be very very high, for IT and Goran. The Laker pk trade was a mistake or else we'd be looking at a monster # of chances to land top 10 talent over the next 5 years without going the tanking route.
Last edited by Sunsfan4life on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

carey

Post by carey »

Sunsfan4life wrote:On the court we will win a few less games then last year, but you and the fans enjoyment level is why this season has seemed so bad. Fans expected way more the you did last year. In reality it was never part of Ryans plan to almost make the playoffs last year, Infact he purged the roster more then added to it and people before the yr were saying we were tanking on purpose. We overacheived due to years by Dragic and particularly Green that will go down as their career years most likely. This off-season he let frye walk and added IT. Frye has looked like a corpse in Orlando, so on paper we had better players it just didn't work out chemistry wise and there is a reason Green has floated around the league like he has, you saw it this yr.

One can argue we have better positioned ourselves for the future. Alex Len has made some strides and looks like he is a big man to build around, T.J has shown promise, They added 3 1st rd picks, 2 of which might be very very high, for IT and Goran. The Laker pk trade was a mistake or else we'd be looking at a monster # of chances to land top 10 talent over the next 5 years without going the tanking route.
Yeah, I have agreed with every move McDonough has made (besides who he has brought in from the D-League as there are more interesting players.) I even agreed with signing IT. I agreed with trading Goran to Miami. But what I can not get over is moving that Lakers pick for Brandon Knight. I still don't understand it. Even with the whole "almost an All-Star in the East!" rhetoric I've had to listen to from Babby, McDonough and Hornacek for the last six weeks. Now, maybe Knight resigns for a reasonable a mount and sets the world on fire. That's about the only thing that will redeem the entire situation for me though.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

SDC

Post by SDC »

Superbone wrote:Bledsoe needs to be gone! What a sad state of affairs to see Dragic leave and Bledsoe run this team on a nightly basis. We were SOOOO much better last year with the ball in Dragic's hands. Sigh.
get rid of bledsoe for expiring deals plus picks. then sign dragic to a 15 mil/per contract. keep everybody else, including green.