Thought experiment: you're the GM, what do you do?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
The Bobster

Re: Thought experiment: you're the GM, what do you do?

Post by The Bobster »

ShelC wrote:Middle of the season people here were gushing over Len, his defense, calling for him to get the ball on offense...now he's useless and hardly any teams want him.

So let's trade everyone for picks and in two years we can trade those guys for more picks and just do the same thing every 2-3 years.
I think so of us are a little more realistic - he has POTENTIAL to be very good, but hasn't shown that he can do it every night, and playing after a bad ankle sprain doesn't really detract from his potential to be a good center.

Unfortunately, we get a lot of you're either the future savior of the franchise or a complete sack of shit around here. People probably don't appreciate the value that Tucker and Marcus have because they believe Warren may have more value in the long run and should be playing.

Unfortunately you don't build a team by dumping players who can play in the league and have some value (Bledsoe, Tucker, Marcus, etc.) for nothing or pennies on the dollar. If you start panicking and make a deal like Bledsoe for Amare' you're just shooting yourself in the foot because there are certainly going to be better deals out there at some point. A little patience goes a long way.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

A panicky mid-season trade that immediately comes to mid - Goran Dragic and a first-round pick for Aaron Brooks.

That certainly wasn't good value for Goran at the time, and he certainly had a higher ceiling than Brooks at that point. They just looked at Brooks' past production and possibly were influenced by off-the-court concerns with Goran.

And let's not even start on the panicky free agent signing (Banks, Childress, Warrick, Turkoglu, Beasley, etc.)
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

OE32

Post by OE32 »

The Bobster wrote:
OE32 wrote:I second the Bobster. I note Bled is not on your "keep" list.
He's worth keeping if you plan on playing him at SG with a big PG who can defend big guards (and also keep team honest on offense), but I don't think Bledsoe can be the starting PG on a winner.

Ideally you trade him for a stating-caliber SG that you can play alongside Knight because Bledsoe would be a really expensive third guard, even if Goodwin becomes good enough to start as an inexpensive SG.
My thoughts as well. Problem is, there may not be a deal for Bled that makes sense. And there are some 2's available in free agency - Middleton, Matthews, maybe Shumpert or Danny Green. One has to wonder what the plan is.

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:A panicky mid-season trade that immediately comes to mid - Goran Dragic and a first-round pick for Aaron Brooks.

That certainly wasn't good value for Goran at the time, and he certainly had a higher ceiling than Brooks at that point. They just looked at Brooks' past production and possibly were influenced by off-the-court concerns with Goran.

And let's not even start on the panicky free agent signing (Banks, Childress, Warrick, Turkoglu, Beasley, etc.)
Googs is the primary one I think of in that category. That was just stupid.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
The Bobster wrote:A panicky mid-season trade that immediately comes to mid - Goran Dragic and a first-round pick for Aaron Brooks.

Wasn't even the worst one that season.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Sunsfan4life wrote:
SDC wrote:before the trade deadline, dan h asked me why i wanted to trade bledsoe for amare... now you know?

i also wanted to keep dragic and IT. mcdo did the opposite.
No I don't know. Bledsoe for Amare would be basically giving Bledsoe away from nothing. He has value around the leaguem if you're going to trade him you can get something in return for him, not just a broken down PF that would be here for nostalgic reasons.
he's overpaid in a team with 3 pgs (at that time) #additionbysubtraction #3pointguardsystem

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Where can I sign up for your newsletter, Bobster? Spot on!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Superbone wrote:Where can I sign up for your newsletter, Bobster? Spot on!
They wear you down with age and it's hard to get as up in arms over every little thing anymore!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:
Superbone wrote:Where can I sign up for your newsletter, Bobster? Spot on!
They wear you down with age and it's hard to get as up in arms over every little thing anymore!
That's a good way to put it. I deduced that you and I are the same age and then you confirmed it the other day as you and I graduated from HS the same year.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Indy wrote:

I think technically it was. The one I think you are thinking of was actually a trade.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Cap wrote:
Indy wrote:

I think technically it was. The one I think you are thinking of was actually a trade.
It was a s&t.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Indy wrote:
Cap wrote:
Indy wrote:

It was a s&t.
Right. They signed, then traded. :)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Cap wrote:
It was a s&t.
Right. They signed, then traded. :)
I thought it was a S&T, not a S&TT?

"Be Legendary."

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Rosterbation time!

I posted this in the lesser forum, because I thought it was more traficked, and you guys are serious folks. But I got no responses. So here, my fantasy scenario.

Step 1: The Knicks get the #2 pick.

Step 2: Get a load of this.

New York: Bledsoe, #9 pick
Washington: Morris twins, Hairston, #13 pick
Charlotte: Beal, #19 pick
Phoenix: Vonleh, #2 pick, Nene, Calderon

Step 3: Draft D'Angelo Russell

Step 4: Re-Sign Knight & Wright

Knight/Calderon
Goodwin/Russell
Tucker/Warren
Nene/Vonleh
Len/Wright

Step 5: Wait a year, and voila!

Knight
Russell
Warren
Vonleh
Len

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

OE32: I'd love any scenario where we dump Bledsoe and grab a super high lotto pick in the draft.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:OE32: I'd love any scenario where we dump Bledsoe and grab a super high lotto pick in the draft.
And so would any suns fan, including the FO. That is why it won't happen!

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Well done, OE. Grade A rosterbation and not completely implausible from a "would each team do it?" standpoint (except maybe Washington).

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Shabazz wrote:Well done, OE. Grade A rosterbation and not completely implausible from a "would each team do it?" standpoint (except maybe Washington).
Thanks :) Yeah, I agree. The Knicks can get their defensive C in free agency, with a lot to choose from (Jordan, Hibbert, Gasol, and Lopez all on the market). A rookie is out of sync with that team's development due to the presence of Melo. I could see them going for it.

Charlotte I think would jump at the chance to add Beal. Fills their most critical need. They already have a starting young PF in Zeller, and I don't see Vonleh/Zeller working.

But Washington. Beal's going to demand the max. Don't know how happy he's been in Washington. That team needs better options in the half-court, as well as bench scoring. The MoBros give them both, and they're locked into reasonable deals, perhaps freeing them up financially to make a move for another piece. Just as important: there are shooters available whom they could put next to Wall, like Middleton or Danny Green or even Gerald, but quality young PFs are harder to come by.

For us, I like Knight better than Bled, and I think Warren and Len are our core. If we're building around them, we can stand to delay contention. What we need is passing and shooting, and Russell has both. We also need rebounding, and Vonleh has that.

A boy can dream!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

For us, I like Knight better than Bled, and I think Warren and Len are our core. If we're building around them, we can stand to delay contention. What we need is passing and shooting, and Russell has both. We also need rebounding, and Vonleh has that.
Here's a question. I like some things about Knight, too, but are we really sure he's as good as or better than Bledsoe? He shot the ball horribly, and now he's been injured and out for a lot of his time here. Also, we don't know exactly the kind of money Knight will be asking for this offseason, which could be an issue.

TOO

Post by TOO »

He was almost an all-star, we should probably max him ASAP. :shock: