Suns News: Week 25 4/13-4/14

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Suns News: Week 25 4/13-4/14

Post by carey »

The final weekly Suns news thread of the season is one day long! The season ends tomorrow and we can all find comfort in Baseball (anyone catch Bradley's performance the other night? fantastic.) For some reason our final game is on TNT. We are now 1-9 in our last 10. Our lone victory was a 2 point win against Utah that we probably should have lost also.

Last Week's Games

Tuesday, April 7th @ Atlanta LOSS 96-69
Wednesday, April 8th @ Dallas LOSS 107-104
Friday, April 10th @ New Orleans LOSS 90-75
Sunday, April 12th @ San Antonio LOSS 107-91

This Week's Games

Tuesday, April 14th vs. Los Angeles Clippers 10:30PM EST TNT

Suns Stories

Spurs outlast 8-man Suns Squad: LINK
Phoenix Suns continue collapse, lose to red-hot Spurs: LINK

Also, McNeal not being eligible was because he wasn't on the active roster. Not sure how that happened but it's something to do with his 10-day contract expiring and signing another one through the league. I am fairly sure that is NOT Jeff's fault like everyone was saying in the game day thread.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Danimal

Re: Suns News: Week 25 4/13-4/14

Post by Danimal »

I hear we are planning on taping Len, knight and wright all together to help fill up the roster for the last game. Rumour has it against the spurs they wanted to send Keep out in a trench coat after half time so Mcneal could hide in there and be on the court.

but seriously hope they start Goodwin and TJ in the last game and then McD come out and admits things aren't well and he plans to rectify it all in the offseason. Give us some hope!

cbesch5

Post by cbesch5 »

carey wrote: Also, McNeal not being eligible was because he wasn't on the active roster. Not sure how that happened but it's something to do with his 10-day contract expiring and signing another one through the league. I am fairly sure that is NOT Jeff's fault like everyone was saying in the game day thread.
The thing that concerns me about the situation is that no one on the coaching staff noticed McNeal's name wasn't on the roster. If the league didn't include him on the roster, they should have noticed and called it out to the league well before the game started, especially since I am sure they knew about his contract extension. Just kind of goes to show the state of mind of the coaching staff, in my opinion.

Robot

Post by Robot »

The thing that concerns me about the situation is that no one on the coaching staff noticed McNeal's name wasn't on the roster. If the league didn't include him on the roster, they should have noticed and called it out to the league well before the game started, especially since I am sure they knew about his contract extension. Just kind of goes to show the state of mind of the coaching staff, in my opinion.
I don't know if anyone on the staff is even that concerned with anything but the offseason. Terry Porter .0

- R

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Maybe they were just trying to do McNeal a favor.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

It's not really that uncommon for teams to sign players to non-guaranteed (or partially guaranteed) contracts for the next season. Recently, Sacramento has done the same with David Stockton, Milwaukee with Jorge Gutierrez and the Lakers signed Jabari Brown.

Non-guaranteed contracts can be useful for helping to facilitate trades, and they don;t cost you much as long as you waive the player before they're fully-guaranteed.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

The Bobster wrote:It's not really that uncommon for teams to sign players to non-guaranteed (or partially guaranteed) contracts for the next season. Recently, Sacramento has done the same with David Stockton, Milwaukee with Jorge Gutierrez and the Lakers signed Jabari Brown.

Non-guaranteed contracts can be useful for helping to facilitate trades, and they don;t cost you much as long as you waive the player before they're fully-guaranteed.
It's a smart contract to sign. I just don't see anything all that exciting about McNeal. Seems like a fringe NBA player at best.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
The Bobster wrote:It's not really that uncommon for teams to sign players to non-guaranteed (or partially guaranteed) contracts for the next season. Recently, Sacramento has done the same with David Stockton, Milwaukee with Jorge Gutierrez and the Lakers signed Jabari Brown.

It's a smart contract to sign. I just don't see anything all that exciting about McNeal. Seems like a fringe NBA player at best.
He must shoot lights out in practice and be a great locker room guy.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Superbone wrote:He must shoot lights out in practice and be a great locker room guy.
Or they just want a point guard familiar with their system on their summer league roster.

If he doesn't play well in the summer league they can just cut him because his contract doesn't become guaranteed until after it is over.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Shabazz wrote:It's a smart contract to sign. I just don't see anything all that exciting about McNeal. Seems like a fringe NBA player at best.
Does McNeal have a more talented brother or something?

carey

Post by carey »

Huh. McDonough actually took a hard stance on the Morris twins yesterday on his weekly KTAR spot. Said their behavior won't be tolerated "if they are still here."
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:Huh. McDonough actually took a hard stance on the Morris twins yesterday on his weekly KTAR spot. Said their behavior won't be tolerated "if they are still here."
I think it is posturing. Stupid of him to say it the way he did, because it means we did tolerate it this year. You can't tell your employees over and over again that they can't do this or that, then have no punishment besides saying, "next time!"

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It's an empty threat unless they bench or trade them. Hornacek didn't have the stones to do the former (and stick with it); will McD have the guts to do the latter?

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Mori Chu wrote:It's an empty threat unless they bench or trade them. Hornacek didn't have the stones to do the former (and stick with it); will McD have the guts to do the latter?
Half the blame goes to the players for acting like they did, but the coach and front office deserve their share for letting the inmates run the asylum. Sure, this isn't the Jail Blazers, but it's not something you can overlook either.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /25856235/

There's some acceptance of where we're at as a team in this, but a bit too much optimism about the future and the path we're on for my liking.
"A lot of teams in the Western Conference, in my opinion, I don't want to say they're all in, but they've pushed a lot of chips to the middle of the table right now to try to win now and their time is now," McDonough said. "Our time unfortunately is not now, was not now, but I think over the next couple years, we'll continue to get better and better.

"I think we're headed in the right direction in terms of how we're positioned, if not terms of taking the steps we wanted this year in wins and losses."

"My view of it is that the end was rough," Suns President of Basketball Operations Lon Babby said. "We were really decimated at the end by injuries. That leaves a very bitter and sour taste in our mouth. I don't think that truly reflects where we are and the season we had."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

McDonough said the Suns also need to add more size, better rebounders and better shooters.
Glad to hear that. At least they know what's what.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

We just need more everything and then we'll be set.

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

Mori Chu wrote:We just need more everything and then we'll be set.
This.

Where does McDonough even START?

carey

Post by carey »

da_suns_fan wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:We just need more everything and then we'll be set.
This.

Where does McDonough even START?
The Knicks, then Sacramento.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Bledsoe should be traded to Knicks for a pick. Let Green, Thornton, Barron walk. Move Warren into starting lineup. (sigh) Re-sign Knight, as long as he doesn't ask for a ridiculous contract.

I'd say to re-sign Brandan Wright, but he's so gone it isn't even funny.