Devin Booker, Welcome to Phoenix!

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
da_suns_fan

Re: Devin Booker, Welcome to Phoenix!

Post by da_suns_fan »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
da_suns_fan wrote:Im not big on drafting the third-fourth-fifth best players from good collegiate teams.
Silly. There are so many college teams would'v Booker be the #1 guy on, you cant penalize him for going to an NBA factory.
Whats silly is thinking that an 18 year old kid who scored 10 points as a freshman is going to come into the NBA next year and contribute in any way.

Everyone is comparing him to Klay Thompson (mostly because that is who he physically looks like) but even if he turns out to be as good at KT, that would mean that in his third season, he'll be good enough to average 12 ppg in the NBA (which is what Thompson averaged his rookie year after three years in college).

Most players drafted in the first round will be lucky just to stay in the league. The ardent fans of the teams freak out about their "potential" but then actually see them play and start using them in the ESPN trade machine.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Penal.

TOO

Post by TOO »

da_suns_fan wrote:
da_suns_fan wrote:Im not big on drafting the third-fourth-fifth best players from good collegiate teams.
Silly. There are so many college teams would'v Booker be the #1 guy on, you cant penalize him for going to an NBA factory.
Whats silly is thinking that an 18 year old kid who scored 10 points as a freshman is going to come into the NBA next year and contribute in any way.

Everyone is comparing him to Klay Thompson (mostly because that is who he physically looks like) but even if he turns out to be as good at KT, that would mean that in his third season, he'll be good enough to average 12 ppg in the NBA (which is what Thompson averaged his rookie year after three years in college).

Most players drafted in the first round will be lucky just to stay in the league. The ardent fans of the teams freak out about their "potential" but then actually see them play and start using them in the ESPN trade machine.
I dont think anyone is expecting Booker to come in and contribute right away.

As for the rest of your post, not really sure what you're going on about lol. Most here know the draft is a crapshoot, you take your BPA and hope he sticks.

carey

Post by carey »

Extremely impressed by him in the press conference. This kid gets it. I'm not sure you could watch it and not think we picked the right guy last night.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Off to watch now. Thanks.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Ugh, completely forgot. Thanks for the reminder, can anyone post the link?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

On paper, a developed Booker is the perfect complement to Bledsoe. Good size, high IQ, low TO and good shooter. By the time he hits the point that he's ready for big minutes, I don't know if EB will still be on the team.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:On paper, a developed Booker is the perfect complement to Bledsoe. Good size, high IQ, low TO and good shooter. By the time he hits the point that he's ready for big minutes, I don't know if EB will still be on the team.
Does that even matter? When can you not use a guy with good size, high IQ, low TO and good shooting at the 2?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Indy wrote:
Shabazz wrote:On paper, a developed Booker is the perfect complement to Bledsoe. Good size, high IQ, low TO and good shooter. By the time he hits the point that he's ready for big minutes, I don't know if EB will still be on the team.
Does that even matter? When can you not use a guy with good size, high IQ, low TO and good shooting at the 2?
I more meant that if you have a Derrick Fisher/Pat Beverly type at PG, you need a shot creator at SG. Ball dominant PGs (like Bledsoe) are better paired with players who work well without the ball (like Booker).

Indy

Post by Indy »

Got it, Bazz. I'm at an airport and typing on my phone so I'm not comprehending or communicating as well as I should.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Booker seems like a quintessential SG. I like it. I much prefer having a "regular" sharpshooting SG than a PG trying to play there out of position.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wally_West wrote:Ugh, completely forgot. Thanks for the reminder, can anyone post the link?
http://www.nba.com/suns/draft-2015-post

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Indy wrote:
Well said.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

da_suns_fan wrote:

I am. There were more lottery picks on the Kentucky team than on the Suns last year.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

carey wrote:Extremely impressed by him in the press conference. This kid gets it. I'm not sure you could watch it and not think we picked the right guy last night.
I haven't watched it yet, but Kendall Marshall also hit his Presser out of the park.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

JCSunsfan wrote:
da_suns_fan wrote:

I am. There were more lottery picks on the Kentucky team than on the Suns last year.
I dont want to be TOO negative...just being realistic. This is what EVERY fan base does with every player they draft.

But he's just a boy. He was pre-pubescent the last time the Suns made the playoffs. Hes not old enough to drink a beer and wont be for at least two years. He wont be Klay Thompson's age for another seven years. By that time both he and Bledsoe will probably be long gone.

This "one and done" rule is really hurting the NBA.
Last edited by da_suns_fan on Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

Sunsfan4life wrote:
carey wrote:Extremely impressed by him in the press conference. This kid gets it. I'm not sure you could watch it and not think we picked the right guy last night.
I haven't watched it yet, but Kendall Marshall also hit his Presser out of the park.
:lol:

Well said.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

da_suns_fan wrote:But he's just a boy.
"I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her."

Yeah, I've heard it before.

"Be Legendary."

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

da_suns_fan wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
da_suns_fan wrote:

I dont want to be TOO negative...just being realistic. This is what EVERY fan base does with every player they draft.

But he's just a boy. He was pre-pubescent the last time the Suns made the playoffs. Hes not old enough to drink a beer and wont be for at least two years. He wont be Klay Thompson's age for another seven years. By that time both he and Bledsoe will probably be long gone.

The kid can shoot--like crazy. Archie could not stay on the court because he could not shoot. This kid is going to get significant PT because Green will be gone. He will be the third option at guard--yes--at 18 years old. We cannot dink around developing these players.

Sink or swim baby. Same with Len, same with Warren.

carey

Post by carey »

JCSunsfan wrote:
da_suns_fan wrote:

The kid can shoot--like crazy. Archie could not stay on the court because he could not shoot. This kid is going to get significant PT because Green will be gone. He will be the third option at guard--yes--at 18 years old. We cannot dink around developing these players.

Sink or swim baby. Same with Len, same with Warren.
I was going to point out that you can't have it both ways. We murder Hornacek for not developing rookies & 2nd year guys. Then we come out and say the guys are too young. They aren't ready and it's killing the league. Well which is it?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!