Marcus Morris appreciation thread!

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Cap

Re: Marcus Morris appreciation thread!

Post by Cap »

Let's give the FO some credit where it's due.

We're rebuilding. We don't have an All-Stars, the situation to attract one in free agency (though we apparently made a good run of it with LMA), or the top picks to acquire a sure thing in the draft.

What the FO has managed to put together is a group of ten key players. Roughly speaking, we have two at each position, one an established average-or-better player and one a promising young talent. Three of the five established players are also relatively young and hopefully still improving. So we've accumulated a lot of young talent and put them in a position to compete without getting embarrased every night. If you want to rebuild "the right way" without tanking, it strikes me as a good approach.

We still have cap room but can't guarantee playing time to anyone else. Let's add a couple of short-term veterans whose role is to help the youngsters develop and to function as a safety net in case of injury or whatever. PG and PF seem to be the positions most in need of the extra depth; the more versatile the better. Alternatively, we can seek to upgrade the "promising young talent" at PF, since I don't think we're all that committed to Leuer.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Cap: Good post. Would you consider Amare to be a suitable "short-term veteran" to help our young guys out?

Cap

Post by Cap »

I think Amar'e (he likes it that way) makes sense.

As I said, I don't think we're committed to Leuer. He's pretty much WYSIWYG at this point and he has one year left on his contract. If he ends up relegated to third string until Amar'e or Alex gets hurt (which you know they will), that's okay.

Amar'e's apparently genuine affection for the franchise and the fan base would be good for the team culture, and lead me to believe he'll accept his role on the team whatever it is, and that he'll be happy to contribute what he can to his young teammates' development on the court and behind the scenes. The season will probably be more fun for everybody with him around.

Of course, it all depends on what kind of situation he's looking for. If he wants to stay in the national spotlight and have a good chance to make a deep playoff run or even contend for the title, we're not the right fit.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

What if Marcus and Markieff switched places on the trade, just because they were upset about being split up? #FOE #TeamTrapTheMovie

BTW, what the heck is Detroit doing with their roster?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

TOO

Post by TOO »

In2ition wrote:What if Marcus and Markieff switched places on the trade, just because they were upset about being split up? #FOE #TeamTrapTheMovie

BTW, what the heck is Detroit doing with their roster?
Dont know, but at least they have Drummond.