LaMarcus Aldridge free agency watch

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Aztec Sunsfan

Re: LaMarcus Aldridge free agency watch

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Wally_West wrote: I'm guessing he is going to take the weekend to think it over and then we will find out early next week.
I think we managed to present a very solid case, basketball-wise, to convince LMA to come to Phoenix.

Problem is, the family side of this decision it's on Texas. Probably LMA looked at his free agency process as a simple choice between the texans teams, but his agent or himself, decided to look around, and suddenly with Chandler on board, and a well executed pitch, we unexpectadly moved upfront on the basketball side of the choice.

Bottomline, the question between coming to Phoenix or choosing the Spurs... Is LMA an old school player, a MAN willing to carry the burden of hope from an entire fanbase on his shoulders, or is he in the new wave of me-first BOYS who prefer the easy path and get on board of can't-miss situations, "just add water and win"?

That and family, wich turns this holiday weekend in perhaps the worst weekend posible to meditate a situation of this nature, the good ol' "career vs family". This particular weekend as the moment of truth, has me thinking that he is going to pick San Antonio. :cry:

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Maybe he'll take a 2-year deal in San Antonio to win a possible title and finish out Duncan's career, then leave and go to a younger team with a longer window like the Suns or Rockets afterward.

SDC

Post by SDC »

the spurs already traded splitter to make room for... #theyknow

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:I also agree that this puts us on the map regardless. People have taken notice that we're serious about winning and even if we don't get LMA, we have the piece to just plug the right player in and make that jump. Durant maybe?
:shock: Be still, my beating heart.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:I also agree that this puts us on the map regardless. People have taken notice that we're serious about winning and even if we don't get LMA, we have the piece to just plug the right player in and make that jump. Durant maybe?
:shock: Be still, my beating heart.
I know the weather is hot outside and the Kool-Aid is sweet right now, but there's no need to be completely ridiculous.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
carey wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Dude just had a playoff run where he shot like 30%. Look, I like LMA just fine, but he's not putting the Suns into anything but familiar get to the playoffs and lose territory.
With a broken hand, right?
30% regardless of how it happens isn't helping anyone.

I'm just tired of cutting the rebuilding short. To me, this is just another potential stop gap.
Thank you.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Cap wrote:What kind of situation are we offering LMA? I assume Keef and Tucker will have to be traded for picks to make the salary room. That leaves us with Bledsoe, Knight, Chandler, and a bunch of unproven young talent.
Bledsoe is nothing special and Knight looked awful in his limited time with the Suns playing off the ball. I don't see how anyone not named Ryan McDonough can objectively look at that backcourt and see it
as some promising dynamic duo.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:but they've lost Splitter, Baynes and Belinelli and might lose Joseph. That's 4 of their rotation guys.
Baynes was some guy they picked up off the street, Joseph played spot minutes, and Belinelli is just a guy. They retained Danny Green, still have the big 4, plus they have Diaw and Patty Mills. Not to mention they have Kyle Anderson to develop. In other words, they lost one player out of their top 8 players. I really don't think they've suffered any significant losses from which they will struggle to recover.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

https://twitter.com/mayorstanton/status/617164729669152768

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

They're just setting themselves up for heartbreak when/if he doesn't choose to come here.

I wonder how to read the fact that the Spurs met with him twice. Was that because they had more that they needed to say? Did they not 100% win him over the first time? Or is it a sign of how much he liked their offer? Why didn't we ask for a second meeting?

BigLewy

Post by BigLewy »

Shocker

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

Free agent LaMarcus Aldridge will sign with the San Antonio Spurs, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

F him.

Trade Markeiff and PJ to the Kings, get DLee from the Warriors and give the Warriors a TE.

DLee is a double double guy who's in a contract year so he's motivated to play. Can pick and pop, very high bball IQ and his defense will be covered by Chandler behind him. Plus we can wipe his 15mil off the books next summer.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

It was a long shot to begin with due to Aldridge's kid being in Texas, That's a big factor in all this I believe. Suns come out of this represented well though, They clearly made a good impression on him and you can see their plan, be in the position you can be until you can sign a star. Aldridge isn't a superstar but he is a top 6 big man that would be of made it more likely for other stars to come here...thats what hurts, it woulda had a trickle down effect I believe.

I really hope they hang onto Markieff, if he isn't in your future plans you still keep him until this whole assault charge blows over and have him increase his value. He is just such an asset with that steal of a contract. Still a very good player on a steal of a deal. I'd look to deal Tucker, but not sure whats out there and I'd start Warren at SF.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

The one thing that bugs me is he gave the Spurs 2 interviews and the Suns only 1.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

TOO

Post by TOO »

On to plan B. Hopefully we can unload Bledsoe.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Btw Woj says Aldridge told Portland last night it was between suns and Spurs. The kid and location was ultimate factor, its hard to blame him for that. He grew up in Texas.

BigLewy

Post by BigLewy »

I'm sure Markieff feels great-trade his brother in a salary dump, openly court his replacement, only for the replacement to say no thanks. He has to be traded because his attitude is only going to get worse. And having Chandler makes no sense with the rest of the young team because at best, he makes the Suns a 7 seed, so there's really no point in having him on the roster because he won't move the needle much.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

What's the next step? Do you think they roll out this starting lineup, including a sulking Markieff, and try to win games? Or will there now be further moves?

PG Bledsoe/Goodwin
SG Knight/Booker
SF Tucker/Warren
PF Morris/Leuer
C Chandler/Len

I still have a lot of concerns about that roster as listed:

* That PF spot looks a little weak.
* I don't buy into the 2 PGs thing.
* A real lack of shooting up and down the roster.
* Not great defense from the 2-4 positions for the most part, save Tucker.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Chandler's still huge in terms of leadership and credibility.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

BigLewy wrote:I'm sure Markieff feels great-trade his brother in a salary dump, openly court his replacement, only for the replacement to say no thanks. He has to be traded because his attitude is only going to get worse. And having Chandler makes no sense with the rest of the young team because at best, he makes the Suns a 7 seed, so there's really no point in having him on the roster because he won't move the needle much.
Who cares how "great" Markieff feels, The brothers did this to themselves. If he wants to get paid, he'll play. Having a guy like Chandler who is a vocal leader will hopefully hold him accountable.