Game Day (Pseason): Suns (2-1) @ Nuggets (3-1), Fri 10/16/15

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JCSunsfan

Game Day (Pseason): Suns (2-1) @ Nuggets (3-1), Fri 10/16/15

Post by JCSunsfan »

I know it's just preseason but when your team leader gets two techs and thrown out of a game in preseason, it cannot be a good sign.

However. The young guys lead the comeback again. Can Weems play the point?

Len is starting to gain some consistency.

Superbone

Re: Game Day (Pseason): Suns (2-1) @ Nuggets (3-1), Fri 10/1

Post by Superbone »

As Cotton used to say, you flush that one down the toilet. But not until you analyze it and figure out why you sucked so bad.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Really bummed that Chandler got himself tossed. That is exactly the kind of thing we want to teach all of our existing players NOT to do, and exactly the kind of leadership opportunity where I want to see a vet like Chandler be the bigger man and do the right thing.

What a crappy game. Our starting lineup didn't look quite right. I have about had it with Tucker, too. I feel like he brings a lot to the table, and then he takes a lot right back off it.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Did you watch the game? What did Tucker do in this game to make you say that?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Morris holds the ball for way too long every time he gets it.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Morris knows he is better at scoring on his own than basically anyone on the team, so he behaves like a lite Carmelo. Ugly from the outside but every team needs some go to guy.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

I've been unimpressed with Tucker so far this preseason. Just as bad on offense, and perhaps losing a step on defense.

Most disappointing so far this preseason - Brandon Knight. Enough said.

Runner-up for most disappointing - TJ Warren. Not aggressive enough in the half-court offense, and constantly overplaying on defense (to make up for slow-footedness?). I've been steadily lowering my expectations for TJ since the high point of his first summer league. He's looked tentative and deflated. Is it TJ, or is it the coaching staff trying to turn him into something that he isn't?

Runner-up for most exciting - Devin Booker. Evidently has an all-around game (at least on offense). He's already a positive on the court.

Most exciting - Alex Len. He's really improved offensively since summer league. More aggressive, knows where to be, starting to dominate inside. His hands even look better - which makes me think a lot of it is preparation and confidence. He's looked great.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

OE32 wrote: Most exciting - Alex Len. He's really improved offensively since summer league. More aggressive, knows where to be, starting to dominate inside. His hands even look better - which makes me think a lot of it is preparation and confidence. He's looked great.
I agree, which makes the Chandler signing a little tougher to reconcile. Still a good signing, you just want to make sure we're not hindering the growth of our best prospect.

I'd love to see Hornacek make a good faith effort to play Len and Chandler together a little. Our offense would be cramped, but if Chandler can spry enough to chase 4s around, our D would be really interesting.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Chandler won't hinder Alex's growth. Alex has a legit mentor now to walk him through an NBA season, go through plays, scouting reports, how to deal with certain situations, keep him honest on offense and defense. Chandler's got a ring and DPOY award. Little different than Mark West working with our bigs, with all due respect.
Last edited by ShelC on Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

ShelC wrote:Chandler won't hinder Alex's growth. Alex has a legit mentor now to walk him through an NBA season, go through plays, scouting reports, how to deal with certain situations, keep him honest on offense and defense. Chandler's got a ring and DPOY award. Little differen't than Mark West working with our bigs, with all due respect.
But there's also no substitute for court time.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

He'll get time. We'd be best to limit Chandler to about 28-30 minutes anyway to keep him fresh and not burn him out. He's not going to play 80 games at 35mpg. And maybe we sit him on some back to backs. Len will get his time.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

OE32 wrote:Most disappointing so far this preseason - Brandon Knight. Enough said.
He is looking even less of a PG than Bledsoe. Actually, I don't know why people appointed Bledsoe as the SG and Knight as the PG. Knight is textbook SG trapped in a PG's body.

I know from experience that ankle injuries are really hard to overcome but that doesn't explain, completely at least, his decision making, timing, etc.

To nobody's surprise, the offense looks fugly more often than not.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't think Knight is 100%. They should bring him back slowly. He'll probably look a lot different/better in January or something than he does now. I hope.

But geez, he is SO NOT WORTH THAT LAKER PIC. Never was.