Phoenix Suns 2014: Offseason Moves

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Ring_Wanted

Re: Phoenix Suns 2014: Offseason Moves

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Frye and Green are expiring. The pick they owe us from the WJ trade has a pretty good chance at becoming two second rounders. That leaves the #14 (I mistakenly said #27, have edited it). That's what makes your scenario laughable. I don't know what else to say.
SwingMan wrote:Have you been following this discussion at all? :lol:
Truth is I wish I wasn't.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Frye and Green are expiring. The pick they owe us from the WJ trade has a pretty good chance at becoming two second rounders. That leaves the #14 (I mistakenly said #27, have edited it). That's what makes your scenario laughable. I don't know what else to say.
SwingMan wrote:Have you been following this discussion at all? :lol:
Truth is I wish I wasn't.
You still haven't answered my question: What's your trade proposal?

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I'd be willing to put on the table the Morrii, two picks in 2014, one in 2015 and contract fillers.

That's hardly half the team or all the draft assets, and worlds better than what you wrote. Must be that I actually want to acquire Love.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Ring_Wanted wrote:I'd be willing to put on the table the Morrii, two picks in 2014, one in 2015 and contract fillers.

That's hardly half the team or all the draft assets, and worlds better than what you wrote. Must be that I actually want to acquire Love.
That would be a reasonable offer for a re-signed Love. Too much risk, though, for a Love that could fade away as soon as next season. Between Markieff and 3 first rounders, there's a pretty good chance that one of them turns into a pretty special player given that the drafting and the player development skills are in place.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

If Love doesn't guarantee you that he'll resign, I guess you can take away one pick, but that's probably it. As long as there are teams willing to gamble, you need to make a competitive offer. Again, if you are serious about getting the player. If the price is deemed too high or there is too much risk for one's taste, that's another issue, but the package that Swingman suggested is, in my opinion, Chris Grant's stuff.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Even Ring's offer probably wouldn't get the job done. I think Minny can do better than that for Love. Our 1st-rounders in this draft are mostly late first-rounders other than #14, and Minny already has a pick right around #14 anyway.

I wish Alex Len had shown more flashes this year. If he were a desirable young piece, including him in the deal might help. As it is, he probably won't impress them.

But I do think that if Minny ever agrees to send Love here, it'll be because we bowled them over with first-round picks. We'll probably have to give them the Laker 1st-rounder for next year. We'd also likely throw in 1-2 from this year, and maybe one more pick further out, simply because the picks aren't guaranteed to be very good. That plus 1-2 young pieces (Morrii, Len maybe) and cap relief.

Some have mentioned including Bledsoe in the deal, but would Minny want him? Are they going to just tear it down? Also I doubt that Bledsoe wants to play there, and he'd have leverage about resigning or not resigning, so I don't think they'd want to go that direction unless maybe they like him so much that they'd max him out or something, and maybe then Bledsoe would actually want to be there if it was at that kind of crazy money. I don't know.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

If Klove agrees to an Extension I am offering

The Ukarine Train, #14,#18,The Wolves pick they owe us back,Gerald Green and the Morri.

There are several other teams who have better pieces. But thats probably the most I'd offer, because all the other pieces, sans Dragic and the Laker Pick, are just more complimentary pieces. They'd have to really like Len and see promise in him to accept that.

I doubt the Wolves would accept that.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Mori Chu wrote:Even Ring's offer probably wouldn't get the job done.
I believe we just can't get Kevin Love by brute force, even if all our chips were on the table. In my opinion only Boston can make an offer around draft picks and young talent that would meet Minni's expectations, precisely like it happened with KG. Maybe Orlando, Philly and Milwaukee too, but that would probably be franchise suicide. Anyway I still can't see the Wolves moving Love for a 'regular' package, even if the danger of losing him for nothing is quite real. I think they'll try to burn their last shot, make the playoffs and hope that's enough to keep their star.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

I'm fine with that, too. The Suns might actually get their 1st rounder -- and then the Suns also get a shot at Love with cap space.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Ring_Wanted wrote:I'd be willing to put on the table the Morrii, two picks in 2014, one in 2015 and contract fillers.

No - just 95% of em going forward. Wow - you sure you aren't Lance Blanks looking for revenge on a vindictive bent? :lol:

Be specific: who's the "contract fillers"? You obviously overlooked (forgot?) the fact that we can take Love on without sending out any salary.

And have the rest of you lost your damn minds? Four players, including Bledsoe or Dragic and most of our picks? Whole lot of fantasy league bullshit floating around this morning.....

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

SwingMan wrote:No - just 95% of em going forward. Wow - you sure you aren't Lance Blanks looking for revenge on a vindictive bent? :lol:

Be specific: who's the "contract fillers"? You obviously overlooked (forgot?) the fact that we can take Love on without sending out any salary.

And have the rest of you lost your damn minds? Four players, including Bledsoe or Dragic and most of our picks? Whole lot of fantasy league bullshit floating around this morning.....
Yeah, you demand a lot for someone who vaguely calls three picks 95%, then drops the B bomb and lols a lot while doing it.

Answer my question. Be specific. Do I really need to? Who do you think could possibly be used in that capacity? Ish, Christmas, Randolph, Green, Frye. There is no more unless you count Archie and Miles. For further detail, go back to the salary cap thread I created some weeks ago.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

SwingMan wrote:And have the rest of you lost your damn minds? Four players, including Bledsoe or Dragic and most of our picks? Whole lot of fantasy league bullshit floating around this morning.....
Making trades is hard. Think about how sad Minny is to be giving away Love, how much that will put a crater in their team and disappoint their fans. Think of how much production he brings to that team. (You can argue that his stats are inflated, but still.) I mean, just pretend that Steve Nash wants out of Phoenix in, say, 2008 or thereabouts. Pretend J Kidd asks out during the "malaise" years. You don't really want to see the guy go; you can only stomach it, can only sell it to your fans if you can say, "Look, we had to do something, and we got a lot back for this guy. Things are going to be okay."

You have to give away something good to get something good. I forget if it was INF or Bone or whoever who said, don't really look at what we give out. Look at what we have after the deal. That's a great way to think of it. If you give up a bunch of picks and youth and salary relief, yeah, those are assets, but what is left on the roster? IMO, a damn good team. A team that can contend. And still a team that has enough picks and youth to get better, which we'll need.

It's hard to agree about it if we don't agree on how good K-Love is. You've made it clear that he's not a player you value super highly or for whom you would sacrifice much to get him on our team. That's fine. I think he's an excellent player and would give up almost anything and everything we have asset-wise to acquire him. For me, literally the only thing that is 100% off the table is Dragic, because of how much loyalty Goran showed our team in coming back and taking a below-value deal. Dumping him out wouldn't be worth it for the bad rep it would give our team; that's not how you treat your most loyal guys. But Minny, take anything else you want within reason.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I would love to keep Dragic, but I wonder if him playing with the Slovenian team this summer has made him expendable because he is not listening to the Suns and giving his ankles rest instead. Yes, he has been loyal, and yes he has already outplayed his contract, and yes he is one of the most likable players in the NBA, but there is also the flip. Is he attractive to stars in the league to play with? Is he going to be more and more injury prone until he gets his ankles fixed?

One of the things I think that INF can agree on, and I think fits his stance to not come out and say that you aren't going to have more than 2 rookies this year, is that you don't paint yourself into a corner by being stuck in your Dogma, whatever it is.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

This would be my plan/dream offseason:

1. Send Archie Goowin, the #27 pick, 2015 Lakers pick, the Minnesota pick to the Lakers for the #7 pick and Steve Nash. Draft Dante Exum at #7.

2. A three team deal yielding the following:

Charlotte receives - Channing Frye, #14 and #50 picks
Sacramento receives - Markieff Morris, Marucs Morris, Ish Smith, Brendan Haywood and #18 pick
Phoenix receives - Jason Terry, Jason Thompson, Derrick Williams, and the #8 and #9 picks

Draft Aaron Gordon at 8, Zach LaVine at 9.

Come free agency, sign and trade Eric Bledsoe for Kemba Walker, Bismack Biyombo, and a future second rounder.

Resign P.J. Tucker

PG: Goran Dragic, Kemba Walker, Dante Exum
SG: Jason Terry, Gerald Green, Zach LaVine
SF: P.J. Tucker
PF: Jason Thompson, Derrick Williams, Aaron Gordon
C: Miles Plumlee, Alex Len, Bismack Biyombo

Use training camp to figure out rotations and to see how ready the rookies are. They may not need to be that low in the depth chart. Have the training staff work on Terry's knee, and see if he can give you 18 mpg. See if you can work some magic with Derrick Williams and Jason Thompson to rescue them from perpetual underachievement.

Williams, Terry, Biyombo (decline his final season), and Green would all be expiring contracts.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

You had me intrigued all the way up to the Bledsoe trade. I would think you could get more from Bledsoe, but I'll also admit that I'm not Kemba's biggest fan, and I've already given up on Biyombo.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I may be totally off on this, and it's possible that Exum turns out to be a huge star, but I think there is a better chance that Goodwin may end up being better.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I'm not a fan of Kemba's either but I think he might be able to thrive in a sixth man role and playing at the same time as Dragic. Plus I love his competitive drive.

Biyombo is just contract filler.

I'm not sure if there is another team out there that would value Bledsoe and have the assets to work a sign and trade that would be more appealing.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:I may be totally off on this, and it's possible that Exum turns out to be a huge star, but I think there is a better chance that Goodwin may end up being better.
McDonough probably agrees with you. I would say you're both wrong. Time will tell.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Bledsoe + a combination of not great picks to the Lakers would do it, I'm guessing.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I don't think Archie Goodwin will even be better than Zach LaVine.