Phoenix Suns 2014: Offseason Moves

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Phoenix Suns 2014: Offseason Moves

Post by INFORMER »

Ring_Wanted wrote:If I were the Lakers I wouldn't do #7 and Nash for Archie, 27, LAL 2015 and Minni's pick, and wouldn't even remotely think about it if Exum was available with my pick.

The relative utility is just too low. Cap relief is great but they can get 6M of it just by biting the bullet and stretching Nash over three years, which wouldn't be ideal but it avoids making me weaker in negotiations like this one.

Having my pick back is also nice but it has very little chance of landing a better prospect than Exum next year, and if the worst happened I'd be using it anyway. And if I plan to win again as soon as possible, and spend accordingly (just three less millions since I'd rather waive Nash), I probably don't think of that pick as a surefire lottery one, at least say top6-10.

Adding Minni's pick, Archie and #27 is sweet but just don't weight enough to make me consider giving up Exum.
Funny. You think it's not enough, 'bazz thinks it's too much.

I don't think Kupchack has that patience, at least not for a prospect not named Wiggins, Parker or Embiid. And he already said the team would not use the stretch provision on Nash.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

SDC wrote:
In2ition wrote:I would love to keep Dragic, but I wonder if him playing with the Slovenian team this summer has made him expendable because he is not listening to the Suns and giving his ankles rest instead. Yes, he has been loyal, and yes he has already outplayed his contract, and yes he is one of the most likable players in the NBA, but there is also the flip. Is he attractive to stars in the league to play with? Is he going to be more and more injury prone until he gets his ankles fixed?
it may take dragic to get love, get er done mcdo! but only if love signs an extension in advance.
Then it's off the table. I don't sign Love without keeping Dragic.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

INFORMER wrote:This would be my plan/dream offseason:

1. Send Archie Goowin, the #27 pick, 2015 Lakers pick, the Minnesota pick to the Lakers for the #7 pick and Steve Nash. Draft Dante Exum at #7.

2. A three team deal yielding the following:

Charlotte receives - Channing Frye, #14 and #50 picks
Sacramento receives - Markieff Morris, Marucs Morris, Ish Smith, Brendan Haywood and #18 pick
Phoenix receives - Jason Terry, Jason Thompson, Derrick Williams, and the #8 and #9 picks

Draft Aaron Gordon at 8, Zach LaVine at 9.

Come free agency, sign and trade Eric Bledsoe for Kemba Walker, Bismack Biyombo, and a future second rounder.

Resign P.J. Tucker

PG: Goran Dragic, Kemba Walker, Dante Exum
SG: Jason Terry, Gerald Green, Zach LaVine
SF: P.J. Tucker
PF: Jason Thompson, Derrick Williams, Aaron Gordon
C: Miles Plumlee, Alex Len, Bismack Biyombo

Use training camp to figure out rotations and to see how ready the rookies are. They may not need to be that low in the depth chart. Have the training staff work on Terry's knee, and see if he can give you 18 mpg. See if you can work some magic with Derrick Williams and Jason Thompson to rescue them from perpetual underachievement.

Williams, Terry, Biyombo (decline his final season), and Green would all be expiring contracts.
I am a little confused by this. After you make the first trade, why not just use the 7th pick at that point to help get Kevin Love? Having a high pick like that would instantly make us the front runners to get Kevin Love. At least I would think it would.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

INFORMER wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:If I were the Lakers I wouldn't do #7 and Nash for Archie, 27, LAL 2015 and Minni's pick, and wouldn't even remotely think about it if Exum was available with my pick.

The relative utility is just too low. Cap relief is great but they can get 6M of it just by biting the bullet and stretching Nash over three years, which wouldn't be ideal but it avoids making me weaker in negotiations like this one.

Having my pick back is also nice but it has very little chance of landing a better prospect than Exum next year, and if the worst happened I'd be using it anyway. And if I plan to win again as soon as possible, and spend accordingly (just three less millions since I'd rather waive Nash), I probably don't think of that pick as a surefire lottery one, at least say top6-10.

Adding Minni's pick, Archie and #27 is sweet but just don't weight enough to make me consider giving up Exum.
Funny. You think it's not enough, 'bazz thinks it's too much.

I don't think Kupchack has that patience, at least not for a prospect not named Wiggins, Parker or Embiid. And he already said the team would not use the stretch provision on Nash.
'Bazz points at the Lakers pick, which indeed is a very nice piece, but in my opinion its value is higher from the standpoint of any team not named the Lakers, contrary to what it may seem.

I also think Exum belongs in that bunch if his potential is as high as everybody suggests. At any rate he'd be a huge steal at #7 and if available I don't think the Lakers (or anyone) can afford to pass, at least for the proposed package.

Regarding Nash, I think they don't want to stretch him, I wouldn't either, but that could be the most cost effective measure for the Lakers, even in win now mode. They wouldn't be the first ones that make poor draft decisions because of contracts, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until they make a shortsighted move like the ones we are used to. Anyway, I just can't see them giving up Exum.

By the way, I think Charlotte doesn't do Frye, 14, 50 for 9 and Biyombo. They need 3pt like crazy, and just offense overall, but they already have McBob and could always bring Tolliver back for peanuts, so Frye's role is not completely vacant. Besides, I don't know if they value Biyombo, but if they do it gets worse.

If I were them I'd just take LaVine, Stauskas or Harris and run.

I could see them interested in the Morrii though.

carey

Post by carey »

Love is not signing an extension because you can no longer do extend & trades. You'll just have to take his word on opting out & resigning for the max.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't think the Lakers would do INF's deal with the picks. They'd be more likely to say yes to a package centered around Bledsoe. And if we could get their #7 for Bledsoe, I'd definitely consider it. #7/Nash for Bledsoe/etc. would be interesting to me. And unlike potential trades to Minny, Bledsoe might actually consent to that trade because everybody likes going to the Lakers and Bledsoe has a history in LA already.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I wouldnt trade Bledsoe for 7 unless Randle or Vonleh is there.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I most definitely would trade Bledsoe for the #7 pick, as long as the Lakers use it on Exum, Gordon, Randle or Vonleh. They could throw in Steve Nash's contract in there too.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Exum wont be there, not enamored with Gordon, thus my stance. :)

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Exum wont be there, not enamored with Gordon, thus my stance. :)
You may be right, but it's unclear at this point that Exum will get picked higher.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

TOO

Post by TOO »

Obviously, but from most media out there he's the consensus 4th horse in the race for #1. I think Orlando takes him.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

They might get enamored with one of the other players, Smart, Randle, Vonleh, Gordon,... I think that Orlando's GM is a smart guy, so most likely Exum doesn't fall, but I don't think that decision has been finalized.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Orlando could very well fall in love with other prospect, but I'd be salivating over a Dipo-Exum backcourt. Much more than Dipo-Smart/Vonleh/Randle/Gordon-Vucevic, especially considering the rest of the roster.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Maybe it is Milwaukee who falls in love with him and leaves two of the big three on the table. Maybe the ONE they really wanted is gone. And they have the Freak at the wings.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I think Dante Exum and Brandon Knight would make a lethal combo.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

That wouldn't allow him to drop to 7.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Mori Chu wrote:I don't think the Lakers would do INF's deal with the picks. They'd be more likely to say yes to a package centered around Bledsoe. And if we could get their #7 for Bledsoe, I'd definitely consider it. #7/Nash for Bledsoe/etc. would be interesting to me. And unlike potential trades to Minny, Bledsoe might actually consent to that trade because everybody likes going to the Lakers and Bledsoe has a history in LA already.
yeah, and i dont think kobe is interested in a rebuilding situation. mitch is in a tight spot.

pau also not interested in rebuilding the lakers unless LAL overpays him to keep kobe company.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:how (Archie) seems to have a little 'F You' in him
The Arkansas police noticed the same thing.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
In2ition wrote:how (Archie) seems to have a little 'F You' in him
The Arkansas police noticed the same thing.
:lol:

Captain Marv-el

Post by Captain Marv-el »

I still Hope the suns get Kevin Love
$HAϟAM

Hiphop Family Treeϟ Roots