Phoenix Suns 2014: Offseason Moves

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
virtual9mm

Phoenix Suns 2014: Offseason Moves

Post by virtual9mm »

As DC/Laz called it way back in December, the Suns ended up just like the Dallas Mavericks of 1999 and the Sacramento Kings soon afterwards. As a young team on the way up, the team just didn't have enough experience to win down the stretch. Now that they've played the equivalent of a first-round series, I think that they'd make it in next year even with the same roster. If I had to guess, the roster as-is would probably win ~55 games next year.

That being said, INF puts it best -- we want the Suns to go beyond being a perennial contender like the old Suns, the Kings and the Mavs (except that one year) to being a team that has more than a puncher's chance of winning it all. What does McMiracle pull off now? Although I trust the front office, I have some thoughts.

First, the Suns have a ton of assets:

#13/#17/#27 2014 draft picks, 2-3 first rounders in 2015
Proven all-star or near all-star caliber guards (Dragic, Bledsoe RFA)
Proven solid rotation players (Green, Kieff, Tucker, Plumlee)
Rotation players with situational value (Frye, Marcus)
Unproven players that have shown flashes (Len, Archie)
A ton of cap space

Second, the Suns have one strategy that will undoubtedly come into play -- to sign a FA while Bledsoe is on a cheap cap hold, and then resign Bledsoe. The alternative is a sign and trade, but I don't see this as likely.

Third, the Suns' major hole is a low post scorer, an athletic freak at the PF position to complement Len. Plumlee is best suited as a Jake Voskuhl on steroids off the bench, while Markieff is a solid 6th man.

As many have mentioned, a re-signed Love may be a good option, but I wonder if the T-Wolves will want too much for him.

Thoughts?

SwingMan

Re: Next Moves

Post by SwingMan »

There's lots of business ahead - and lots of options.

Though I'd like to keep all the 1st rounders, I'm beginning to think there's a snowball's chance in hell it happens - IMO, we either use some/all to move up and/or make a trade, with Frye being he most likely trade fodder (with Green possibly 2nd as one hell of a deal-sweetener, as his value is at its peak). Maybe that's wishful thinking, but Mcdonough ain't blind.

(Of course, in the unlikely case we happen to land top 3 and Minnesota doesn't, all bets are off - unless we trade them our pick in that scenario in a package for Kevin Love. In that scenario, Minnesota drops to #14 and their pick becomes ours, giving us #3, #14, #17 and #27 - Julius Randle or Kevin Love?)

Bledsoe might throw a monkey in the wrench by way of accepting an offer sheet before all of our moves are done - chiefly, screwing up the logistics of a possible Kevin Love trade. Just a bit of possible marble skating. Personally, I don't think he's earned max, but he's likely gonna cost us 8 figures per.

The Morris twins - if we can get them both for $8 mil/year combined, do it. Though Marcus lid off the face of the earth down the stretch, he's still perimeter punch with size.

Not too awful much to say on roles outside of the fact that I can't wait to see Len backed with SL and full training camp under his belt.

Again, I hope McDonough has some sort of map for this whole thing - it's likely gonna take all of this off-season to get things sorted out. Last off-season was simple - tear down that shithole of a team. power wash the lockerroom and start from scratch. Now, there's about half a dozen paths, if not more, to choose from.....

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

I completely spaced Tucker, who's due a payday himself.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

-The Draft
-Bledsoe's upcoming FA Status
-Whether or not your going to re-sign Tucker and for how much
-Free Agency

Those are the top 4 things.

I would love a drat where we walk away with Gary Harris (14), Kyle Anderson or Clint Capela (17)
and maybe deal the 26th pick for a future pick ala what the Heat did with the Sixers a few years back for Moultrie and what others who have late 1sts have done.

One thing is clear...The suns need more upfront, but I don't want them to surpass BPA just to pick up a PF that may be worse. They are still rebuilding and taking BPA is the best option.

Dream scnerio...14,17, and a Morris or 2 up into the top 5 or 6. Take Aaron Gordon
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I don't see Harris being available at 14. I think Nuggets will be all over him, and they'll have two opportunities to get him. And if the Nuggets don't get him, Minnesota will.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Isnt one of those DEN picks going to ORL?

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

your probably right, but its a best case realistic scenario.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I say throw anything and everything at Minnesota for Kevin Love. Make them an offer they can't refuse. All four 1st rounders, and any player(s) they want other than Dragic. Just do it. He's worth it. I know that's steep, but you can't just steal a superstar for peanuts. We'd make the leap if we had him.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

I like Love a lot to, But I only want him if he agrees to re-sign here.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Isnt one of those DEN picks going to ORL?
You're right.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

If the price for Love is too high or if he's just flat out not available, I think Demarcus Cousins could be had for the right price. I know he has his problems, but I think in a winning environment surrounded by vets like Dragic and Bledsoe, I think he could be a good fit here.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I really don't think the Kings have any interest in moving Cousins. The time to get him was when they were debating extending him before the season. They did extend him, which was a significant sign of commitment in of itself. Then Cousins responded with the best season of his career and with the fewest incidents of bad behavior. I'm not sure why he would available now.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Sunsfan4life wrote: Dream scnerio...14,17, and a Morris or 2 up into the top 5 or 6. Take Aaron Gordon
Hope that Boston doesn't get a top 3 pick. If Danny Ainge is actually serious about being down on this draft class, if the Celtics pick isn't in the top 3, it may be available. Right now they're sitting at 5.

A deal of Morris Twins, #14 & #17 for Brandon Bass, Joel Anthony, and #5 may be possible.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Without looking at the Contract numbers of Anthony or Bass I would do that. It insures you Gordon or Randle. I think Kieff was a big contributor this yr and is kind of like a better version of what Frye was a few yrs ago, but I would give that up for a shot at Gordon or Randle. Bass could contribute as well.

I'm guessing what your saying is Ainge would like the chance at landing Parker,Embid,or Wiggins. I'm not so sure Jabari Parker is the 3rd best player in this draft anymore.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I think in that scenario I'd take Vonleh or Randle at 5. We need a post player and I dont think Gordon really offers that offensively.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Sunsfan4life wrote:I'm not so sure Jabari Parker is the 3rd best player in this draft anymore.
I know he had issues on the defensive end this season and he didn't have a good game against Mercer, but there's just so much he can do on the court. He can shoot, pass, rebound, block shots. I think, when he reaches his peak at the pro level, he's seriously capable of averaging 23-26 ppg, 7-9 rpg, 3-5 assists.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I think in that scenario I'd take Vonleh or Randle at 5. We need a post player and I dont think Gordon really offers that offensively.
I would just look for the best player. But yeah, it would come down to those 3 for me. right now I would rank them in the following order: Vonleh, Gordon, Randle.

TOO

Post by TOO »

INFORMER wrote:
Sunsfan4life wrote:I'm not so sure Jabari Parker is the 3rd best player in this draft anymore.
I know he had issues on the defensive end this season and he didn't have a good game against Mercer, but there's just so much he can do on the court. He can shoot, pass, rebound, block shots. I think, when he reaches his peak at the pro level, he's seriously capable of averaging 23-26 ppg, 7-9 rpg, 3-5 assists.
I agree, Parker is very Melo esque offensively. I dont think he's as good in the post, but he's definitely got a lot going for him. Easily 2b in the draft with Wiggins 2a after Embiid.

TOO

Post by TOO »

INFORMER wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I think in that scenario I'd take Vonleh or Randle at 5. We need a post player and I dont think Gordon really offers that offensively.
I would just look for the best player. But yeah, it would come down to those 3 for me. right now I would rank them in the following order: Vonleh, Gordon, Randle.
Well if they think Smart or Exum is BPA and they take them, I'm not sure what I'd think. I think thats how I'd rank the PFs as well based on fit for the Suns. Overall though I have it Vonleh, Randle, Gordon.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Those were my overall rankings as well (when I said Vonleh, Gordon, Randle).

I don't think Marcus Smart is a top 7 prospect. I'd slide him in at #8 though. I think he'll be a Sacramento King when it's all said and done.

Exum is interesting. I wouldn't mind the Suns drafting him IF they don't plan on retaining Bledsoe. I really like Exum and think he could be one of the 5 best players from this draft.