Suns News: Week 1 10/26-11/1

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Suns News: Week 1 10/26-11/1

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:25.5 PER? That can't be right, or if it's based on this season, it has to be a weirdly skewed stat based on incredibly small sample size. He absolutely is not making any significant impact out there in these first few games.

He's good at attacking the basket, but his shooting is bad, his passing is bad, and he doesn't seem capable of running the offense yet at all. Plus it is disconcerting how he's been grousing about his role despite not seeming to work hard on improving the skills he needs in order to actually HAVE a role. I think we've about given up on him.

Paging #2. Paging #2.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Mori Chu wrote:25.5 PER? That can't be right, or if it's based on this season, it has to be a weirdly skewed stat based on incredibly small sample size. He absolutely is not making any significant impact out there in these first few games.

He's good at attacking the basket, but his shooting is bad, his passing is bad, and he doesn't seem capable of running the offense yet at all. Plus it is disconcerting how he's been grousing about his role despite not seeming to work hard on improving the skills he needs in order to actually HAVE a role. I think we've about given up on him.
It's based on the one game he played. He was one of three players to play well for us (with Booker and Leuer).

His passing has been fine. By all accounts he's a very hard worker and his shot has been steadily improving. I'm not sure where people expect his 3 point shot to be at this point in his career?
After 20 minutes, PER doesn't mean anything, either way. And despite the years of not showing us much, I am still in camp that would like us to use him versus dump him for nothing.

But, our PG and SG rotation so far as been 85% Bledsoe, Knight and Price. Even more so last night when those three guys played 90 of the 96 minutes available in the back court. I don't see too much room for anyone else there if coach is going to play those guys that much. That makes me sad.
Agreed. It doesn't mean much, but all he can do is play well in the minutes he gets. I don't know why people are eager to dump/package him so early.

To Price's credit, he's earned his minutes, but Weems and Tucker have been laying eggs. I like Weems' unselfishness, but he needs to bring a bit more. And unfortunately, I think Tucker would have to drop an actual turd on the floor to lose his rotation spot.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:After 20 minutes, PER doesn't mean anything, either way.
He's shooting .500 from three. I look forward to seeing him in the three-point shooting contest.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I don't know why people are eager to dump/package him so early.
Because people feel jilted when a promising young draft pick doesn't become a starter (or at least a key 6th/7th man) after 3 years in the league. People expect that (especially with guards). Even if it doesn't make sense to expect him to perform as anything more than a typical 21 year old, end of the first round pick.