Suns News: Week 1 10/26-11/1

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Suns News: Week 1 10/26-11/1

Post by carey »

The Phoenix Suns' 2015-2016 season is here!

Last Week's Games

This is Week 1, mate. The sky is the limit.

This Week's Games

Wednesday, October 28th vs. Dallas Mavericks 10:00PM EST
Friday, October 30th vs. Portland Trailblazers 10:30PM EST
Saturday, October 31st @ Portland Trailblazers 10:00PM EST

Suns Stories

Suns carry an urgency to end their 5-year playoff draught: LINK
Cory Jefferson's effort earns him a roster spot: LINK
Suns' improvement pinned on defense, depth, 3's: LINK
Mirza Teletovic: "If I have to die, I die, for basketball I do anything." LINK
Tucker an unlikely contributor for Suns: LINK
BSotS is trying to send 1,000 underprivileged kids to their 1st Suns game. Feeling charitable? Donate a ticket: LINK
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Re: Suns News: Week 1 10/26-11/1

Post by Superbone »

Great to have these threads back. Thanks Carey!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

This was written a while ago, but I haven't seen it anywhere (apologies if it's already been posted). Sports Illustrated does a scouts' take on all the teams, this is what they say about the Suns

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/10/20/nba-sc ... rs-rockets
"They’re fighting for the seventh or eighth seed at best, and they’ll finish 10th or 11th at worst. Same range as the last few years. It’s one step forward, one step back... If Tyson Chandler, Eric Bledsoe and Brandon Knight are your main guys—and that’s who’s getting the big money—how does that trio fit together? Both Bledsoe and Knight need the ball, and Chandler [at 33] is way older than they are. Are they trying to win right now? They’re not good enough. Are they trying to win in the future? Chandler won’t be an impact player down the line... The one big positive is that all three guys can hold their own defensively, with Bledsoe being a stud on that end. Markieff Morris and P.J. Tucker can defend too. If you put those five guys on the floor, they won’t give up a lot of easy points... Hanging over their whole team is whether Bledsoe and Knight can play together. Bledsoe can defend twos, but he likes the ball in his hands to start the offense. Knight definitely sees himself as a one. I don’t think Knight will ever become a top 10 point guard. He’s the definition of decent... Bledsoe’s getting to the point where he’s older [25] than most people think. You can go under pick-and-rolls against him until he proves to you he can beat you with his jump shot, and that takes away from his off-the-dribble game. He would be a monster if he could really shoot it... Morris is very good offensively. He’s got a nastiness to his game, which is a little Draymond Green–like. His trade demand adds another level of questions to the team. When someone goes public like that, you know it’s even worse behind the scenes."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

That is such a depressing, and accurate, take on where we are at right now as a team.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Come on. The article doesn't even mention the rookies we have, which supposedly are one of the biggest sources of joy we currently afford ourselves. Also dispatches the Chandler acquisition by pointing at the age disparity, neglecting the role he should play in keeping the inmates from trying to run the assylum again, plus the specific mentor figure he provides on Len. No word on depth either, when it's supposed to be one of our main strenghts, even evidenced by how preseason games have unfolded.

I am deliberately averse to blind optimism but I swear sometimes it looks like people like to flagellate themselves.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

That is the most accurate evaluation from outside that I have seen. It does not mention Booker, Weems, Warren, Leuer, Tele, or Len, which is a big omission, but what it does say is accurate.

Cap

Post by Cap »

SI wrote:The one big positive is that all three guys can hold their own defensively, with Bledsoe being a stud on that end.
All three, really? The advanced stats say that AASE is a defensive liability and has been throughout his career.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Cap wrote:
SI wrote:The one big positive is that all three guys can hold their own defensively, with Bledsoe being a stud on that end.
All three, really? The advanced stats say that AASE is a defensive liability and has been throughout his career.
???
Last edited by JCSunsfan on Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cap

Post by Cap »

AASE = Almost an All-Star in the East = Brandon Knight.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Yeah, just by watching him I would say he is average on his best nights.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Most stat measurables put him slightly under Dragic as a defender. So saying he is a good defender is probably a stretch.

I do think the unnoticed factor of preseason has been the very poor play of PJ Tucker. Warren has outplayed him by a mile. Not sure what all that means. Maybe he has relaxed some now that Marcus is gone. PJ is a player that once he slows down, just a little, he will no longer be effective.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I keep hoping we'll get rid of Tucker. I don't like the alcoholism stuff, and I don't like how he's been a guy who has had a bad attitude on and off, getting techs, that sort of thing. He's a bruiser and has been a great defender and energy/effort guy for us, which I love. But if he can't be an all-around role model for the young guys as far as how to behave, I don't think I want him here much longer. I'd like to see his minutes go to Warren and others.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:I keep hoping we'll get rid of Tucker. I don't like the alcoholism stuff, and I don't like how he's been a guy who has had a bad attitude on and off, getting techs, that sort of thing. He's a bruiser and has been a great defender and energy/effort guy for us, which I love. But if he can't be an all-around role model for the young guys as far as how to behave, I don't think I want him here much longer. I'd like to see his minutes go to Warren and others.
What happened to giving a guy a chance to redeem himself? From everything I read, he's been a great mentor on the court in his actions and his talk. If he has futher issues, sure send him to the corn field. Until then, give the guy a chance. He works his butt off on the court.

"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It was preseason. Tucker is an old vet now and they don't always put out 110% then compared to new guys fighting for a spot. He always brought intensity in real games IMO. Getting a DUI is bad but, it happens to a lot of people. I don't think that automatically makes him a bad guy or an alcoholic. I like his attitude on the court. He is feisty and tries to get under the skin of the other team and I am OK with that. I know somebody that dated him last season and I never heard of any issues from them, not that they would tell me.

Chandler being an older guy that might not fit in our long term future? He is a proven vet with a ton of experience and a defensive player of the year award that will help the young guys and still has some good years left. I was totally OK with Len being our starter now without acquiring Chandler. Our Center position has always been our weakest link throughout our history. Not this year. At some point the torch will be handed to Len sort of like David Robinson and Duncan.

I have the DVR set and am trying to look forward to this season. It's a little tough after last season. My expectations are way low.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I hope you post more on the basketball side this year, Nodack. I always enjoy reading your posts and I like your balanced takes.

"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Suns boast menu's worth of on-court options: LINK
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:Suns boast menu's worth of on-court options: LINK
Ugh on those analogies! I would have expected that from Espo but not from Peterson. You don't become a good cook to make people sick.

"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Superbone wrote:
Ugh on those analogies! I would have expected that from Espo but not from Peterson. You don't become a good cook to make people sick.
Peterson gets paid for doing nothing. His "articles" are always super short with the least amount of info possible. BSotS routinely does a better job and those guys don't get paid at all.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

Suns exercise options on Goodwin, Len & Warren: LINK
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Peterson gets paid for doing nothing. His "articles" are always super short with the least amount of info possible. BSotS routinely does a better job and those guys don't get paid at all.
At least he does a decent job as a sideline reporter for the Suns broadcasts.

"Be Legendary."