College Basketball: 2015-2016

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: College Basketball: 2015-2016

Post by Superbone »

If INF had his way, the whole roster would be 1st, 2nd, and 3rd year players. Then it would just cycle out the 4th year players the following year. :D
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I'm not against trading picks, but you should NEVER do it just to avoid a certain number of rookies or certain amount of youth. Make moves to get the best talent...PERIOD.

Still, trading some picks may not be a bad idea with this draft. So many of these projected lotto picks are so bad. Jaylen Brown? Gross. Skal? Diamond Stone? Jakob Poeltl? Some these guys look like marginal first rounders, not freaking lottery picks. I'm still trying to figure out why so many are so high on Dragan Bender. I don't even want to hear Porzingis name in connection to him. Porzingis was actually playing when he was overseas, and at a high level.

I've been following Brandon Ingram on paper, but haven't had time to watch the games (I have them on DVR though). His statistical performances have really caught my attention, but when I saw a game finally, (gulp). The kid looks like he is high. He has a great jumper, but I don't see the pro level scoring instincts that Durant showed at Texas.

I've already stated my reservations concerning Mr. Simmons.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Ingram's arms and shot are certainly there (although his %s are cooling down). Still, I can't avoid to notice how slowly he moves his feet, especially laterally on defense. Maybe with his length that's less of an issue, but it really catches my eye.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:I'm not against trading picks, but you should NEVER do it just to avoid a certain number of rookies or certain amount of youth. Make moves to get the best talent...PERIOD.
I agree with that.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I am very interested in finding out who is the big with the better hands this draft.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

INFORMER wrote:I'm not against trading picks, but you should NEVER do it just to avoid a certain number of rookies or certain amount of youth. Make moves to get the best talent...PERIOD.

Still, trading some picks may not be a bad idea with this draft. So many of these projected lotto picks are so bad. Jaylen Brown? Gross. Skal? Diamond Stone? Jakob Poeltl? Some these guys look like marginal first rounders, not freaking lottery picks. I'm still trying to figure out why so many are so high on Dragan Bender. I don't even want to hear Porzingis name in connection to him. Porzingis was actually playing when he was overseas, and at a high level.

I've been following Brandon Ingram on paper, but haven't had time to watch the games (I have them on DVR though). His statistical performances have really caught my attention, but when I saw a game finally, (gulp). The kid looks like he is high. He has a great jumper, but I don't see the pro level scoring instincts that Durant showed at Texas.

I've already stated my reservations concerning Mr. Simmons.
Bender is closer in age to Porzingis two years ago, when he was projected to go at the bottom of the lottery and instead dropped out of the draft. He wasn't producing much that year, IIRC. People are enamored with Bender because of his FIBA play and his physical profile. I count myself among the intrigued - at this point, he'd be my pick at #3.

I agree that Ingram's getting too much love - he is certainly no Durant. Durant dominated at Texas right from the start. I was among those who thought he should have gone #1 that year, because it's pretty rare that a freshman is able to exhibit such dominance.

I think Poeltl will be pretty solid - good hands, good feet. I like Jamal Murray. Diallo reminds of Capela, fwiw (certainly not a top pick). Don't know what to make of Jaylen Brown. Not a Rabb fan as of now. Worried that Sabonis's ceiling is a little low - I was more impressed with what I saw out of Portis before last year's draft. All of that can change, and I don't watch nearly as many college games as INF.

As for the whole drafting too many players thing, I think it makes sense, personally. I don't think it's a good idea to have nothing but young players on the roster (in part because they'd all be due for paydays at the same time). McD says it's unlikely we'll use all four draft picks - but I think it's more likely that we draft and stash. I'm not really sure what would be a good trade target for us anyway. That's why I'll pay special attention to international players this year - wouldn't surprise me at all if we took a couple who won't come over this year.

pickle

Post by pickle »

I feel like the whole too much youth thing points to a different issue, that we currently have a franchise/coaching staff/developmental system that isn't able to maximize these young players' talents, on or off the court. I know that I've been in a bit of a Boston phase lately, but if we had a Brad Stevens, I would trust the team to do the right thing with whatever talent we have. However, given the way we've dished out minutes to the youngsters lately with this misguided "playoffs over everything" motto, I have trouble giving the team the benefit of the doubt when it comes to developing young players.

I do agree that, in a vacuum, there is nothing wrong with having too many young players. But in the non-vacuum reality that we as Phoenix Suns fans face, it's a lot tougher to stomach.

I guess I don't want the first rounder situation to turn out like Ennis. I know that the whole pg situation is too complicated and unpleasant to revisit, but basically a draft pick is like a new car, except for the very rare ones, most of them start losing value as soon as they are driven off the lot. If we know in advance that our team isn't going to be able to maximize the value of some of these picks, it may be better to move them for other value. In this case, I'm also not opposed to moving a first rounder to a later year and drafting/stashing.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

I'm surprised to hear you say this although I don't necessarily disagree with you. You were an avid defender of the 2013 Draft which so many people considered, and most still do, a terrible draft. Their was very little star power in that draft and 1 could claim having the 10th/11th pick was just as good as a top 3 pick, but the best players in that draft look to be right now The Greek freak, McCoulum, Oladpio and Gobert who were picks 15,2,10 and 27. I think the over/under on all-star appearances from that entire first rd might be 3. I think when it comes to that draft you had to wait on a lot of guys and players such as Len, Noel, Adams etc. Were very raw coming out but have shown flashes of what they can do and still have their best years ahead of them. Will they ever be all-stars? I'd lean toward no but they have the talent to be able to contribute on very good teams. I see the same with this bunch where you have a lot of of guys you will have to wait on to become contributors and will have to land in a situation where the team is willing to wait.

So although that draft had very little star power, it did produce a good amount of guys who are contributing in the NBA. I think this draft has a shot to do the same you just might not see a lot of instant contributors. I agree though that having a pick in the top 5 may be just as good as having a pick in the mid-1st rd. Although I still think Simmons is by far the best prospect in this class and a guy who will have an immediate impact and a chance to be a multi-time all-star so having #1, unlike in 2013, would be huge for any franchise.
Last edited by Sunsfan4life on Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Is their a C.J. Mccollum/Dam Lillard type this year? The Kid from a small school who dominates, but the knock on him is what kind of competition did he do it against? This Kay Felder kid from Oakaland who is avg 24.4 ppg. might be the best shot it although I haven't see him play. Suposedly has done well in Oakland's games against the Big Boys this yr.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

carey

Post by carey »

God damn it. Every time I think UofA is getting it together they lose to a team they shouldn't.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

OE32

Post by OE32 »

What do you guys think of Kay Felder? I'd love to grab him with one of our last two picks. How about Chinanu Onuaku? Impressive mobility for a guy his size.

The more I look at this draft, the more likely I think it is that we end up trading that top pick if we don't get into the top 2. For what? "That's a good question." If we are interested in Bender, my guess is we wouldn't mind at all that he could spend another year developing overseas. I also think McD's the type who would take a flier on Skal.

As INF says, not the most impressive draft class. But there are almost always gems to be found.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I wouldn't hate picking skal as much now that we have a second lottery pick, but I still wouldn't like it. He's been pretty awful this year and hopefully stays in school.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

I don't think Ingram is overrated at all in this draft. I think he is the most likely star. The reason is that Ingram is clearly a SF but he has the physical traits to dominate that position. His length, speed, athleticism and shooting all make for domination.

Simmons is a little different. He is not a classic pf. He really is not physical like a traditional pf, but does not have the shot to be a stretch 4. His passing skill is out of this world, but it is not typically a skill that is a big part of a pf game. His rebounding skill gives him a can't miss floor though. Simmons ceiling is slightly higher, but his floor is slightly lower IMO. I would not mind getting the second pick.

TOO

Post by TOO »

JCSunsfan wrote:I don't think Ingram is overrated at all in this draft. I think he is the most likely star. Simmons ceiling is slightly higher, but his bust potential is slightly higher too. I would not mind getting the second pick.
I dont think his bust potential is higher at all, you know what Simmons does at an elite level, pass and rebound. That usually translates easily, I think his floor is much higher than Ingrams, thus making him a less likely bust imo.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

JCSunsfan wrote:I would not mind getting the second pick.
Very generous :D

pickle

Post by pickle »

Does rebounding really translate that well though? For every Faried there's also a Beasley... I don't mean to dismiss Simmons' considerable skills, just musings from someone who doesn't watch college ball and relies on reading to interpret college stats.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Basically if a guy plays a 3-month career of college basketball, it's almost impossible to know anything for sure about the player. The NCAA basketball system is completely broken and I'll never watch until they get star players to stay for multiple years.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I don't agree with that at all. I'd rather have tape on a guy at the college level than draft him straight out of high school.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Ok, but do you think Simmons' rebounding will translate into the NBA? He's 6'10 and 245, but then does that necessarily mean he can bang in the pros?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

It's not just an issue of strength. When a guy gets to the NBA, he has contend with players that are smarter, faster, stronger, longer, and more athletic.