Game Day: Mavs (0-0) @ Suns (0-0), Wed 10/28/15

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Game Day: Mavs (0-0) @ Suns (0-0), Wed 10/28/15

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Superbone wrote:It's unfortunate that we waited until the 4th quarter to start playing some real D. Booker was the lone bright spot for me. However, I think there was a lot of overreaction in this thread. We've got a lot of new guys. Let's give them a little bit of time to get their act together. I think they'll come out focused on Friday. They had better.
Yup, Bone is right on this. I said to "nuke from orbit" but that's meant mostly in jest. I do think these guys will need time to figure out the team chemistry. I'm willing to wait a while before I switch into full-blown panic mode.

Still, what they showed us last night was a real turd sandwich.
It sure was and it was embarrassing. That is NOT how you want to start a season at home. Let's hope it woke the team up. They need to show us something on Friday and Saturday. Let's give the Mavs a little credit though. They were shooting the lights out. Their guards were penetrating well too. I hope our guards learned something. Our 140 mil backcourt is what I'm most concerned about with this team. That is McDonough's handiwork.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Leuer had a fairly solid game.
I like the combination of Leuer and TJ on the floor at forwards.
Leuer can hit mid-range on out, and TJ can work inside, the baseline and around paint.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

carey

Post by carey »

Indy wrote:Good luck. Hope you got an amazing deal since they are having their worst quarter in the history of the company.
It's a 2012 with 24k miles on it. Sadly I'm not in a place where I can get a brand new one. It has all the bells and whistles. I was leaning towards the Mazda CX-5 and they were more expensive at even the basic trim level.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

LazarusLong wrote:Leuer had a fairly solid game.
Leuer can hit mid-range on out, and TJ can work inside, the baseline and around paint.
I like Leuer so far. He had a nice little drive on Dirk too in the first half.

I agree that Friday they better come out ready to play. Last night was a bit embarrassing. We haven't had a home court "advantage" for some time.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:
Indy wrote:Good luck. Hope you got an amazing deal since they are having their worst quarter in the history of the company.
It's a 2012 with 24k miles on it. Sadly I'm not in a place where I can get a brand new one. It has all the bells and whistles. I was leaning towards the Mazda CX-5 and they were more expensive at even the basic trim level.
Smart man. Cars are ridiculously over-priced, and buying new ones is almost always a stupid financial decision... this is coming from a guy that bought two new ones in the last 6 months...

carey

Post by carey »

[youtube][/youtube]

Play Armani!
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

At least Booker looked awesome. That is the biggest take-away from this game for me. Thank goodness we have some young guys to root for. Almost all of our veterans are such complete trash.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Our 18-year-old rookie is already a legitimate NBA player, and in a few years he'll be really special. That's about the only thing the team gives us to feel good about right now.

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

Im just not very high on either of our point guards. Neither is very good at pick and roll or driving and dishing out to corner threes.

Dragic excelled at that but that ship has sailed.

The obvious take-away from last night is our three point shooting is still TERRIBLE.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
ShelC wrote:We're only going to move forward when we move one of our PGs. The backcourt won't work and we'll be better off in terms of play with Booker at the 2. Still don't know who we keep but the Bledsoe/Knight won't work.
They have no chemistry together whatsoever. They just take turns, one at hero shots, the other at hero penetrations. And as pointed ad nauseam, neither is good at creating for others off pick and roll/pop situations. Doesn't help a natural cutter like TJ either.
I actually thought the two positives last night (at least in the first half) were the way we were moving the ball - a lot and quickly - and our defensive rebounding.

Bledsoe and Knight threw some terrible passes, though.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Still, it's only one game. Different people have good and bad games every game. Next game maybe Booker will look like crap and our starting back court will look great and we will say they are a good fit together and maybe we made a mistake getting Booker. Last night was a great wake up call but, it was only one game. You can't read too much into it just like if they blew out Dallas and we start to think we are better than we are.

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

"The final was the Suns' worst season-opening loss at home in franchise history"

Horny is a goner.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:Still, it's only one game. Different people have good and bad games every game. Next game maybe Booker will look like crap and our starting back court will look great and we will say they are a good fit together and maybe we made a mistake getting Booker. Last night was a great wake up call but, it was only one game. You can't read too much into it just like if they blew out Dallas and we start to think we are better than we are.
It is one game for Booker. It wasn't for Bledsoe or Knight. Bledsoe has been in the league for 5 years. Knight less, but still, we know what we have. It isn't a one night aberration.

Indy

Post by Indy »

da_suns_fan wrote:"The final was the Suns' worst season-opening loss at home in franchise history"

Horny is a goner.
It might take a couple months, but if we are 5-15 after the first quarter, he is. Which is unfortunate. You have to play who you have, and we have invested 140 million on two PGs that aren't PGs. That can't help. I know I will get slammed for this, but I would rather play Price and Booker in our backcourt than #2/#3.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Indy wrote:
da_suns_fan wrote:"The final was the Suns' worst season-opening loss at home in franchise history"

Horny is a goner.
It might take a couple months, but if we are 5-15 after the first quarter, he is. Which is unfortunate. You have to play who you have, and we have invested 140 million on two PGs that aren't PGs. That can't help. I know I will get slammed for this, but I would rather play Price and Booker in our backcourt than #2/#3.
Price is less of a PG than Bledsoe or Knight. He can't competently run an offense.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

OK Indy. ... Sigh... If Brandon Knight doesn't turn that **** around, you were right. So right about that trade. Honestly, that game had me wishing Tyler Ennis were still on the roster - at least one point guard who could keep the turnovers down and run the offense. But instead we had panic. And not only did panic come at the price of Ennis, but a top pick in this upcoming draft. Ugh. Just one point guard with handles would be nice. That was painful.

I liked the way Len played. I thought he was a better rim protector than Chandler. And a better rebounder. And the only player with any post game to speak of. Last night made me wonder whether we just brought in a $13 million back up center.

One thing I noticed with the whole team. Defense requires intensity, but on offense, you have to be calm and smart. Instead, we played with intensity on offense, putting up bad shot after bad shot. Throwing lobs when there was no chance of catching them. Not taking open shots, and then rushing toward the basket in desperation. It was terrible. And on defense, well, what can you say? We don't really have very good defenders on this team. No long arms, no disruption of the passing lanes. Maddening.

What I really don't get is how a guy like Knight can look so good in Milwaukee and so bad here. Is it the coach or the roster? Speaking of the coach, if this year starts off anything like last year, he's on the hot seat for sure. But then, what about McDonough? I've thought him savvy... now I'm on the edge.

You could see how Booker changed things immediately. We couldn't score, then he came in the game and opened things up. If he really is that good, can Hornacek really justify keeping him buried? That is his style, and I haven't been a fan of it.

Alarm bells are going off. If the team we saw last night is the team we have, then we're in real trouble, and the only way forward is to blow it up - precisely the opposite of what we did with the Knight deal. The sad truth is, I would much rather watch our bench play than our starters. I could do without every single starter. I really thought Knight would be the exception... and maybe he is.

I give Hornacek one month, and if this doesn't go the other direction, I let him go. If that doesn't do the trick, I'm looking to deal.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Indy wrote:

Horny is a goner.
Price is less of a PG than Bledsoe or Knight. He can't competently run an offense.
I think he hurts our team less.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Speaking of the coach, if this year starts off anything like last year, he's on the hot seat for sure. But then, what about McDonough? I've thought him savvy... now I'm on the edge.
I am with you there. I was a big supporter of Ryan. I was wrong there. This dedication to a system above all else isn't smart.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

LazarusLong wrote:Leuer had a fairly solid game.
Yeah, I said Booker was the lone bright spot but Leuer also had a solid game and looks to fit in very well with this team.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Indy wrote:
Speaking of the coach, if this year starts off anything like last year, he's on the hot seat for sure. But then, what about McDonough? I've thought him savvy... now I'm on the edge.
I am with you there. I was a big supporter of Ryan. I was wrong there. This dedication to a system above all else isn't smart.
I think the thinking was, the league is full of great PGs, and there are very few good SGs. So lets just get two good PGs instead.

He's always been about maximizing value, but it may be that he simply bought high on Knight. He was not exactly impressive before last season.