Around the League: Week 3 11/9-11/15

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Around the League: Week 3 11/9-11/15

Post by carey »

Week 2 is in the books. We have a singular unbeaten team, the Golden State Warriors. We have 3 winless teams and they are the Nets (whose unprotected 1st rounder goes to Boston this year), the Sixers (trust the process), and the walking wounded, er I mean the Pelicans.

Nationally televised games this week

Monday: None.
Tuesday: Oklahoma City @ Washington 7:00PM EST NBATv
Wednesday: Los Angeles Clippers @ Dallas 8:00PM EST ESPN, San Antonio @ Portland 10:30PM EST ESPN
Thursday: Golden State @ Minnesota 8:00PM EST TNT, Los Angeles Clippers @ Phoenix 10:30PM EST TNT
Friday: Cleveland @ New York 7:30PM EST NBATv, Brooklyn @ Sacramento 10:00PM NBATv
Saturday: Denver @ Phoenix 9:00PM EST NBATv
Sunday: Nada

NBA News

The aging of LeBron James: Why it's all downhill once NBA players turn 30: LINK
The Cavaliers are finally using Kevin Love properly, so far: LINK
Where are all the black NBA coaches? Examining a sudden, silent disappearance: LINK
Kobe hinting to Scott this is last year: LINK
Green released from hospital: LINK
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

pickle

Re: Around the League: Week 3 11/9-11/15

Post by pickle »

just looked through the coaching story, feels like a lot of statistics to say very little. maybe i'm not racially sensitive enough, but man... some of those coaches are awful. i'm shocked that byron scott still has a job and firmly believe that he's there to help the team tank until kobe is gone.

SDC

Post by SDC »

twolves in the playoffs?

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Thanks for the links, Carey.

Hope you are doing better.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Feel better, carey. You da man.

The black coaches topic is a sensitive one. Honestly I don't think any of the recently dismissed African-American coaches were very good.
  • Monty Williams
    Brian Shaw
    Mark Jackson
    Jacques Vaughn
    Tyrone Corbin
    Melvin Hunt
    Mike Brown
    Byron Scott (hasn't been fired yet but will be)
    Derek Fisher (has a job but shouldn't)
I don't think it has anything to do with their race in these cases; they are just bad coaches or clashed heavily with management. There are several very good to average black coaches currently in the league:
  • Doc Rivers
    Lionel Hollins
    Dwane Casey
    Alvin Gentry
I absolutely think that there must be bias in the system, since it's mostly rich old white men deciding whom to hire on these 30 teams. I'm sure white coaches get more opportunities and get more benefit of the doubt about their ability, intellect, and ideas. This is very unfortunate. But I guess I'm saying that I don't disagree with any of the particular recent firings of African American head coaches.

carey

Post by carey »

Memphis acquires Chalmers in 4 player deal: LINK
The Memphis Grizzlies have acquired Miami Heat guard Mario Chalmers in a trade, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

The Grizzlies will send guard Beno Udrih, forward Jarnell Stokes and a second-round pick to the Heat, league sources said.

Miami will save $6 million in luxury tax payments on the deal.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

So Jimmer Fredette got picked up by Pelicans after brief stint in D-League.

I believe my exact quote was "in five years he'll be lucky to be in the league" and i was DESTROYED for it.

I wish I could bring up that thread but, alas, it was the old site.

carey

Post by carey »

da_suns_fan wrote:So Jimmer Fredette got picked up by Pelicans after brief stint in D-League.

I believe my exact quote was "in five years he'll be lucky to be in the league" and i was DESTROYED for it.

We all remember. Image
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

da_suns_fan wrote:So Jimmer Fredette got picked up by Pelicans after brief stint in D-League.

You were right. I thought he'd have more of a JJ Redick career, but he didn't seem to try hard enough on defense or hustle enough once he got to the NBA. Lots of reports of him acting like a prima donna. It's too bad.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Here is a great example of the kind of play that NEVER happens on this Suns team. It would require (a) smarter guys, (b) better shooters, (c) MUCH better and MUCH more willing passers.

https://streamable.com/6fn8

carey

Post by carey »

Mori Chu wrote:Here is a great example of the kind of play that NEVER happens on this Suns team. It would require (a) smarter guys, (b) better shooters, (c) MUCH better and MUCH more willing passers.

What's funny is after the pump fake, Steph had an open look, Kay had an open look & Barbs had an open look. They didn't need to pass it but they did because getting everyone involved is FUN.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

You weren't destroyed anymore than Lad and Mori were for basically saying he was the 2nd coming.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:Here is a great example of the kind of play that NEVER happens on this Suns team. It would require (a) smarter guys, (b) better shooters, (c) MUCH better and MUCH more willing passers.

That is so depressing to watch. Reminds me of us 10 years ago...

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:

That is so depressing to watch. Reminds me of us 10 years ago...
Yup.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

SDC

Post by SDC »

hope it's not a suicide attempt with gerald.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

carey wrote:Memphis acquires Chalmers in 4 player deal: LINK
The Memphis Grizzlies have acquired Miami Heat guard Mario Chalmers in a trade, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

The Grizzlies will send guard Beno Udrih, forward Jarnell Stokes and a second-round pick to the Heat, league sources said.

Miami will save $6 million in luxury tax payments on the deal.
Highly questionable for the Grizzlies. Udrih is better than Chalmers and one of the most underrated backups in the league. Stokes is a project but at least has a defined skillset and will give Miami a needed banger. I like both of those pieces better than what the Grizzlies are receiving and they are actually cheaper. Memphis should have gotten at least a cute second round pick.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Turns out Miami is looking for just cap relief and doesn't want Udrih or Stokes. They are searching for a third team to take them in order to complete the deal. Mistake. They should keep them.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Turns out Miami is looking for just cap relief and doesn't want Udrih or Stokes. They are searching for a third team to take them in order to complete the deal. Mistake. They should keep them.
they wanted to add one more slovenian to keep dragic happy.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Ish Smith has been averaging 8 assists in 26 mpg off the bench for the Pelicans. Thought that was impressive considering that's about what the Suns average as a team.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Also, TJ McConnell, from our summer league team, is holding his own pretty well for the 76rs.