Suns News: Week 12 1/11-1/17

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
wpmiller42

Re: Suns News: Week 12 1/11-1/17

Post by wpmiller42 »

ShelC wrote:Some rumblings about 'Kieff and the Cavs

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf ... s_wou.html
Influential figures within the Cavaliers' locker room are open to the notion of trading for disgruntled Phoenix Suns power forward Markieff Morris, cleveland.com has learned.
I can only imagine those "influential figures" includes LeBron. As stated in the article the Cavs are looking for depth at PF and stretch 4, along with a defensive minded wing that can spot up and shoot the 3 (lookin' at you PJ). They have a 10.5mil TE so they can take back Morris, but a separate deal would have to be made for PJ since I don't think you can combine a TE with a player in a deal. We could simply unload Kieff for their TE and a pick but would we want more than that?

Generally speaking, the cavs don't have too many players that interest me. I was kind of hoping Kieff would play well this year and up his value, with KLove continuing to struggle in CLE and a deal working out there, but the opposite has happened.
I think at this point, if the Cavs gave us an unprotected first, I'd really consider it. I think this draft is going to be deep, and if a disgruntled star starts to force his way out of a situation, maybe that pick starts to be of extra value.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

I read earlier that Mozgov has struggled, and teams have been inquiring about his availability. Keef has a minor reputation as a Dray-Green-stopper... I could see a deal sending Mozgov away for a pick/youth, us sending Keef and maybe PJ, and receiving picks and players in return.

There are a lot of possibilities. I expect other players to be moved with Keef when it happens, and I certainly expect it to involve more than two teams.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

ShelC wrote:I can only imagine those "influential figures" includes LeBron. As stated in the article the Cavs are looking for depth at PF and stretch 4, along with a defensive minded wing that can spot up and shoot the 3 (lookin' at you PJ). They have a 10.5mil TE so they can take back Morris, but a separate deal would have to be made for PJ since I don't think you can combine a TE with a player in a deal. We could simply unload Kieff for their TE and a pick but would we want more than that?

Generally speaking, the cavs don't have too many players that interest me. I was kind of hoping Kieff would play well this year and up his value, with KLove continuing to struggle in CLE and a deal working out there, but the opposite has happened.
If they'll give us a not-too-horribly-protected 1st-rounded way down the road, like in 2020 or something, I'm in.

(Wouldn't it be aggravating to watch Markieff go to the Finals right after we trade him?)

carey

Post by carey »

This story is about how Warren is happy now that Zo Brown is here: http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... e49d8e618b

However, as you get into the story you realize it's about how happy Warren is to play with a PG that will pass him the ball.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

How crazy would be if a Kieff trade replicated that of Otis Thorpe? A 1stR, any real 1stR, sounds good to me. Really, just move the vets and officially launch the next rebuilding project. Screw any other type of move.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Influential figures within the Cavaliers' locker room are open to the notion of trading for disgruntled Phoenix Suns power forward Markieff Morris, cleveland.com has learned.
I can only imagine those "influential figures" includes LeBron. As stated in the article the Cavs are looking for depth at PF and stretch 4, along with a defensive minded wing that can spot up and shoot the 3 (lookin' at you PJ). They have a 10.5mil TE so they can take back Morris, but a separate deal would have to be made for PJ since I don't think you can combine a TE with a player in a deal. We could simply unload Kieff for their TE and a pick but would we want more than that?

Who in the world would we want from the Cavs? Maybe a future pick plus cap fodder.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Mozgev and a first for Tucker and Kieff?

Have to do it as two trades, looks like, but would work. Maybe Varajeo but his contract sucks and he's kind of redundant with Chandler.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Dan H wrote:Mozgev and a first for Tucker and Kieff?

Have to do it as two trades, looks like, but would work. Maybe Varajeo but his contract sucks and he's kind of redundant with Chandler.
And Mozgov isn't? No thanks. I'd rather continue to develop Len.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't see the point of acquiring Mozgov when we have Chandler and Len.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

I have post-traumatic Suns fan disorder, if I could field a team of 12 centers, I'd do it. Because surely ONE of them would pan out.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't think the one who doesn't work hard and plays horrible defense (Mozgov) is the one who will pan out.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

wpmiller42 wrote:

I think at this point, if the Cavs gave us an unprotected first, I'd really consider it. I think this draft is going to be deep, and if a disgruntled star starts to force his way out of a situation, maybe that pick starts to be of extra value.
We already have the Cavs pick this year, top 10 protected I think, which is a lock to transfer.

carey

Post by carey »

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba-news/46 ... don-knight

Worth a read on the current Suns.
Start with the much-discussed collapse of forward Markieff Morris’ trade value. Morris actively sought a trade in the offseason, appeared to be playing with half-effort to open the year, posted terrible numbers and was considered toxic as a trade asset. But around the league, Morris is still viewed as a potentially valuable stretch-power forward, one who could bring the Suns more value than expected as we approach next month’s trading deadline.

“He’s young, he can fit into that four-spot and has the potential to stretch the floor with his shooting if he gets into a better situation,” one league executive said. “His contract is not that much of a problem (three years, $24 million after this season) and everyone knows what his upside is.”

The notion that the Suns can’t even give away Morris because he’s had a poor attitude is overblown. And, the league executive said, veterans such as Mirza Teletovic and P.J. Tucker have been discussed as trade targets, too, though the Suns are delaying discussions about those players until they're more certain that a playoff run can't be mounted.
They can't possibly believe that, can they?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

Dreaming is free.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Non-sequitur, perhaps... but who says no the following trade:

BOS gets: Keef + CLE pick (and anything you could buy with them)
PHO gets: Option to swap PHX pick with BKN pick in this year's draft

?

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

carey wrote:http://www.sportingnews.com/nba-news/46 ... don-knight

Worth a read on the current Suns.
Start with the much-discussed collapse of forward Markieff Morris’ trade value. Morris actively sought a trade in the offseason, appeared to be playing with half-effort to open the year, posted terrible numbers and was considered toxic as a trade asset. But around the league, Morris is still viewed as a potentially valuable stretch-power forward, one who could bring the Suns more value than expected as we approach next month’s trading deadline.

“He’s young, he can fit into that four-spot and has the potential to stretch the floor with his shooting if he gets into a better situation,” one league executive said. “His contract is not that much of a problem (three years, $24 million after this season) and everyone knows what his upside is.”

The notion that the Suns can’t even give away Morris because he’s had a poor attitude is overblown. And, the league executive said, veterans such as Mirza Teletovic and P.J. Tucker have been discussed as trade targets, too, though the Suns are delaying discussions about those players until they're more certain that a playoff run can't be mounted.
They can't possibly believe that, can they?
I think they do. In that McDonough interview that was posted a while back (where he talked about the bottoming out may have been delayed by a couple of years) he talked about they're only 4 or 5 games out of the 8th seed and making a run at that is their preferred option. We need to pile up some more losses so there is NO doubt what the best course of action is.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

AASE : Almost All Star in the East :: APTW : Almost Playoff Team in the West

carey

Post by carey »

Gladiator wrote:I think they do. In that McDonough interview that was posted a while back (where he talked about the bottoming out may have been delayed by a couple of years) he talked about they're only 4 or 5 games out of the 8th seed and making a run at that is their preferred option. We need to pile up some more losses so there is NO doubt what the best course of action is.
I just assumed they said that because that's what they HAVE to say. You still need to sell tickets, tanking or otherwise. If McDonough really believes that a run is possible with Bledsoe out for the year, Knight running the show, and no one able to close out games then it might be time for Sarver to show him the door. I like what he's done in the draft, I like about half his trades, but his FA signings have all blown up in his face. Could be time to stick a fork in the McDonough era.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

carey wrote:
Gladiator wrote:I think they do. In that McDonough interview that was posted a while back (where he talked about the bottoming out may have been delayed by a couple of years) he talked about they're only 4 or 5 games out of the 8th seed and making a run at that is their preferred option. We need to pile up some more losses so there is NO doubt what the best course of action is.
I just assumed they said that because that's what they HAVE to say. You still need to sell tickets, tanking or otherwise. If McDonough really believes that a run is possible with Bledsoe out for the year, Knight running the show, and no one able to close out games then it might be time for Sarver to show him the door. I like what he's done in the draft, I like about half his trades, but his FA signings have all blown up in his face. Could be time to stick a fork in the McDonough era.
If I remember rightly he said something like "we're only 4-5 games back, so if we can make a run and get into the playoffs that would be our preference".... so I wouldn't be surprised if Sarver won't let him pull the pin on the season until playoffs are completely out of the picture. Just speculating on my point, but that was the vibe I got listening to it.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

We are officially the doormat of the entire league.

http://www.nba.com/2016/news/powerranki ... 04/week10/
NBA rank 30th
Phoenix (12-25)
Pace: 101.0 (3) OffRtg: 100.9 (21) DefRtg: 105.4 (24) NetRtg: -4.5 (24)
Well, indeed things did indeed get worse after the towel throwing and assistant-coach firing. The Suns were actually competitive against the Cavs and Thunder last week, but gave up 142 points to the Kings and trailed the Lakers 74-36 on their way to losing their ninth straight game. Tyson Chandler has looked terrible and the Mavs won't trade for him for another few years, when he's in the final season of his contract.

30. Phoenix SunsRick Scuteri/Associated Press
Last Week: 30

Last week's No. 30 ranking felt a little punitive, like we were maybe sticking it to the Phoenix Suns not just for losing a bunch of games, but for losing them with such a messy, outwardly dysfunctional style. It was like we put the Suns on timeout, like we wanted them to think about what they'd done.

You want to squander some legitimate, playoff-worthy talent in a year when something like 41 wins might be good enough for the eighth seed? You want to toss towels at coaches? Fine. Five minutes in the corner!

To keep the Suns in the final spot for another week, it was going to take some harder evidence.

Like this: Phoenix's 2-12 record since Dec. 15 is the worst in the league, and no team (no, not even the Sixers) has a worse net rating than the Suns' minus-12.2 in that span, per NBA.com.

Welp!

That was easy.

See you next week Suns.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/powerrankings
NBA rank 28
It's pretty rare when you can say a team is overdue for a panic trade. Their front office should be getting those annoying reminder pop-ups on their phone every 15 minutes that just read "TRADE SOMEONE, ANYONE, NOW."

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/power-rankings
Rank 25
SUNS (13-27) HIGH: 12 / LOW: 26
The entire league is waiting for the Suns to get the ball rolling on the trade market, or so it seems. Whether Phoenix cuts bait with Markieff Morris or holds out for a real asset in return will set the tone for transactions over the next month and could have a real impact on the playoff hunt after the All-Star break. View season trend.