Suns News: Week 12 1/11-1/17

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Ring_Wanted

Re: Suns News: Week 12 1/11-1/17

Post by Ring_Wanted »

carey wrote:I don't envy the position McDonough is in. Both his marquee signings this Summer have backfired and the Suns are setting records for their futility. I think it might be time to move on from McDonough and bring in an experienced guy that can rebuild this team the right way.
I could be ready to call for his head once I see what he does at the deadline, and it better be a shakeup aimed towards rebuilding. Say mainly standing pat and say firing the HC won't be enough although Sarver is a problem and we don't know the room he is giving the GM to puruse things. I get that this is not a videogame so you have to deal with real people, changes take time, etc, but two weeks into the season you could already see the dumb, the ugly and the pieces that needed to be shipped out for one reason or another. Like in Steve Kerr's case, part of his job is making the owner understand what's best for the franchise. Otherwise it won't take long before everybody goes back to the 'sell the team' chants.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Mori Chu wrote:Centers take a long time to develop. We gave up a little too early on Robin Lopez. I don't want to do the same with Len.
Same here. At worst Len is a pretty useful role player albeit prone to injuries, but as long as it is not the ankle/foot in general or something serious, I can take it.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

Superbone wrote:I don't know if I can totally blame McDonough. I have a feeling that Sarver isn't giving him full control.
I agree with this. Everything I read about Sarver indicates he wants to get back in the playoffs asap, rather than build a contender step by step. And for better or worse, he's the one paying the bills.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
carey wrote:I don't envy the position McDonough is in. Both his marquee signings this Summer have backfired and the Suns are setting records for their futility. I think it might be time to move on from McDonough and bring in an experienced guy that can rebuild this team the right way.
I could be ready to call for his head once I see what he does at the deadline, and it better be a shakeup aimed towards rebuilding. Say mainly standing pat and say firing the HC won't be enough although Sarver is a problem and we don't know the room he is giving the GM to puruse things. I get that this is not a videogame so you have to deal with real people, changes take time, etc, but two weeks into the season you could already see the dumb, the ugly and the pieces that needed to be shipped out for one reason or another. Like in Steve Kerr's case, part of his job is making the owner understand what's best for the franchise. Otherwise it won't take long before everybody goes back to the 'sell the team' chants.
Definitely this trade deadline, draft and off season will have an enormous say on McD's 'legacy' at the Suns (assuming he's there for all three)

BigLewy

Post by BigLewy »

Sounds like Hornacek is ready to throw in the towel, and I don't blame him.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /78943644/

“A guy doesn’t have pride to go out and stop someone,” Suns coach Jeff Hornacek said. “They shoot 57 percent. You can’t have the coaches go out there and guard them. It’s just straight-line drives. That’s pride. These guys can call themselves basketball players. Until you try to go out there and stop somebody and get in front of somebody and take a charge and do something … we’ve got one or two guys maybe on this team that do that.

“When you give up 40 free throws, that means you’re not guarding anybody. To me, if I’m out there playing, I’m at least guarding my guy.”

“The effort was somewhat there in the first half, but once they got down 17, 18, then they didn’t have that effort ... whatever,” Hornacek said before crumpling the box-score sheet.

carey

Post by carey »

I read that last night. Part of me feels like he's going to resign. Then I think that probably doesn't look too good when he's trying to get another coaching gig somewhere down the line.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Gladiator wrote:
Superbone wrote:I don't know if I can totally blame McDonough. I have a feeling that Sarver isn't giving him full control.
I agree with this. Everything I read about Sarver indicates he wants to get back in the playoffs asap, rather than build a contender step by step. And for better or worse, he's the one paying the bills.
Sarver's impatience has been a huge issue when it comes to building a good foundation for the future.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695