Jeff Hornacek Fired

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Gladiator

Re: Jeff Hornacek Fired

Post by Gladiator »

https://twitter.com/TheVertical/status/694349566100033538

DrSublime

Post by DrSublime »

4 time coach Bob Hill now Triangle Head Watson's assistant.. what a joke.
~~~~~

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Bob Hill's 67 so I doubt he's really that interested in becoming a head coach again. Good hire IMO.

As bad as they are right now, I'd be surprised if Watson makes it into next season as the head coach. There are 33 games left and if they go 6-27 (or something atrocious like that) they'll be looking for somebody who can give the franchise a shot in the arm.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I think the most important thing for the rest of the season is to evaluate young players - give them consistent minutes in defined roles. Make Warren the starting SF. Find a veteran PG so that you're not throwing Goodwin in over his head every night - he's okay at PG on brief occasions, but you don't want him running the offense 30+ minutes a game. Give Len 30 minutes a night, even if that means playing him alongside Chandler more. Bring Knight off the bench as a PG/SG - he's not a real PG and Booker needs to start and play as many minutes as possible at SG. See if there's any market for players like Teletovic, Tucker, Chandler, and of course, Morris (trade as many of them as you can and stockpile picks).
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

carey wrote:Heh.

https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/694296975194333184

You can't make this stuff up.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

EDC

Post by EDC »

Imagine the conspiracy we will be able to come up with if they actually sign him to a multi year deal.

Cap

Post by Cap »

The Bobster wrote:I think the most important thing for the rest of the season is to evaluate young players - give them consistent minutes in defined roles. Make Warren the starting SF. Find a veteran PG so that you're not throwing Goodwin in over his head every night - he's okay at PG on brief occasions, but you don't want him running the offense 30+ minutes a game. Give Len 30 minutes a night, even if that means playing him alongside Chandler more. Bring Knight off the bench as a PG/SG - he's not a real PG and Booker needs to start and play as many minutes as possible at SG. See if there's any market for players like Teletovic, Tucker, Chandler, and of course, Morris (trade as many of them as you can and stockpile picks).
$14M/yr AASE is not going to come off the bench behind Goodwin or some journeyman while Bledsoe is still out.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Cap wrote:$14M/yr AASE is not going to come off the bench behind Goodwin or some journeyman while Bledsoe is still out.
Well, if they they were smart they'd......

Oh hold on!

I'm so funny sometimes! "if they were smart" Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

I expect them to try the same crap actually. I'd be surprised if they more more than a player or two, and they're going to cling desperately to Knight and Chandler like they're going to make some kind of a difference in the long run.

Robot

Post by Robot »

Damn this whole organization is hard to root for. Another patsy coach to do the bidding of the stupid front office. Ugh.

- R

DrSublime

Post by DrSublime »

Robot wrote:Damn this whole organization is hard to root for. Another patsy coach to do the bidding of the stupid front office. Ugh.

- R
agreed, smells like Blanks/Hunter too much, even if he is a good coach, he will never get the chance to prove it since he's a crony
~~~~~

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Not surprised. Got the feeling Earl was Honeceks replacement when they brought him in. Whoever coaches this Suns team won't have the job long. I wish I could fast forward five years to see if it gets any better.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Gladiator wrote:Just gut feel, but it seems like they've had Watson pegged as their man from a little while out. It's easier to put him into the head coaching position if the 2 lead assistants aren't there any more.
But you're right that it doesn't really add up on the surface
The moment Watson was hired it was obvious he was next in line for the job and that it was a matter ot time before Hornacek was fired. Like you say, the writing was on the wall.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Agreed, but it seems like the Suns have a lot of confidence in Watson, going so far as to hiring him and bringing him right into the meeting with Aldridge. Former players, especially ones recently retired are a growing trend in the coaching ranks because they know the current game, and guys like Fisher, Lue, Watson, Kidd have played with a bunch of guys in the league and can relate to them and, in some cases, recruit them to the team.

Let's also keep in mind tho that, at least on paper, there was a connection with Watson and Hornacek going back to Utah. The Blanks/Hunter thing was just a disgusting way of doing things. Hunter had no ties to the organization other than Blanks and Gentry was forced to take him on the bench. The whole thing stunk from Day 1.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't know how any coach can get anything accomplished when he shows up in midseason. Don't most teams essentially stop practicing all year? Which I don't get at all, especially for a young team.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:I don't know how any coach can get anything accomplished when he shows up in midseason. Don't most teams essentially stop practicing all year? Which I don't get at all, especially for a young team.
\

When you regularly play 4 games a week, it makes it really hard to do anything except shoot-arounds and run-throughs.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Just heard McD try and compare the Suns to the Warriors situation in the past....

Um, yea the Warriors became good AFTER they hired Bob Myers.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

McDonut said he really thought Markieff could turn it around :lol:

He also felt the team going 7-5 to start was something more telling of this team. :lol:

Is this guy drunk at the wheel or what?
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

UglyTruth wrote:Just heard McD try and compare the Suns to the Warriors situation in the past....

Um, yea the Warriors became good AFTER they hired Bob Myers.
I hope he meant after they were sold to an owner that put the right people in the right places and stepped away from and didn't create drama.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

djy2j wrote:McDonut said he really thought Markieff could turn it around :lol:

He also felt the team going 7-5 to start was something more telling of this team. :lol:

Is this guy drunk at the wheel or what?

Sounds like McD has a severe viral infection of LonBabbyBSpeak.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I wish Sarver would have just given all control to Jerry, and stepped away from any type of decisions other than figure head. Enjoy the games, enjoy the success, enjoy the money that the franchise becomes worth over time.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass