Around the League: Week 16 2/8-2/14

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Around the League: Week 16 2/8-2/14

Post by carey »

Nationally televised games this week

Monday: Orlando @ Atlanta 8:00PM EST NBATv
Tuesday: San Antonio @ Miami 8:00PM EST TNT, Houston @ Golden State 10:30PM EST TNT
Wednesday: Los Angeles @ Cleveland 8:00PM EST ESPN, Houston @ Portland10:30PM EST ESPN
Thursday: New Orleans @ Oklahoma City 8:00PM EST TNT
Friday: NBA Rising Stars Challenge 9:00PM EST TNT
Saturday: NBA All-Star Saturday Night 8:00PM EST TNT
Sunday: All-Star Game 8:00PM EST ABC

NBA News

D.A.'s Morning Tip, "Karr sets perfect pace for Warriors on and off court." http://www.nba.com/2016/news/features/d ... index.html
Knicks fire Fisher as coach, hire Rambis as interim: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/knicks-fir ... 16658.html
J.J. Redick has Steve Nash on his podcast (Jared Dudley was the week before.) http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-vertic ... 30376.html
Are the Kings firing Karl, or what? http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/2/6/10 ... mors-kings
MCW and Monroe are on the trading block in Milwaukee. http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/2/5/10 ... r-williams
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Re: Around the League: Week 16 2/8-2/14

Post by carey »

There are rumblings that Thibs wants the Knicks job, which is a major bummer to those of us who want him as the Snus coach next season.

Also there is going to be serious competition for Luke Walton this Summer.

https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/696732437343121408

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/696767356551335936

The Kings are a mess basically: http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2016/2/8/ ... -basically
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

Of course Thibs would want the big stage, what coach doesn't? I've mentally relegated myself to the fact that we're probably gonna hire a shitty re-tread like Mark Jackson.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I would stop watching Suns basketball if Jackson were made coach.

The Garden and Thibs would be a powder keg.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I would *LOVE* to get Thibs, but I really don't think he would come here. It's a mess of a team and not the most supportive environment for a coach, especially a headstrong one. And it isn't a prestige job like the Knicks or Lakers. If he wanted to go to a crappy young team and help them rebuild, why not Minnesota over us?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marc Gasol broke his foot--out indefinitely. That sucks for the Grizzlies.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Are the Kings firing Karl, or what?
Isn't this ridiculous? And the sad thing is, I would be happy if we were only as bad as the Kings right now.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Isn't this ridiculous? And the sad thing is, I would be happy if we were only as bad as the Kings right now.
Am I the only one who's happy with how bad we are at the moment? As long as they don't screw it up and try short term fixes, just keep the ship steady like this, absorb the losses and collect ping pong balls. We need long, smart, talented and skilled basketball players. Please send Ben Simmons our way.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
Am I the only one who's happy with how bad we are at the moment? As long as they don't screw it up and try short term fixes, just keep the ship steady like this, absorb the losses and collect ping pong balls. We need long, smart, talented and skilled basketball players. Please send Ben Simmons our way.
I guess what I meant to say was not that I am upset with how bad we are, but how bad I expect us to continue being due to a complete lack of success from Mr. Sarver (that wasn't set up by Jerry before leaving) over the last 12 years.

Indy

Post by Indy »

And you know what is great, the team is now valued at $1B. I don't see anyone forking over that for this team right now. So I don't see him selling. And I get the impression he doesn't want to be seen as a loser, and if he sold now, I think that is how everyone would think of his stint as owner. It is the same thinking that had us enter into this season with Keef on the roster.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

A $500mil or so profit would hardly label him a loser.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:A $500mil or so profit would hardly label him a loser.
It would be closer to 600. And I agree. But his reign would be tarnished.

Even in bad years, the team is making 10-15 million in profits. Crazy.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Sports is crazy. You can buy a team, run it like a buffoon (like Sarver/Vivek) watch it appreciate 3x in value in about 4 years (like the Sixers) AND STILL lock out the players because you're not making enough profit. AND look like the good guys to most of the public.

In what other industry can wealthy people have all of these crazy advantages and still not be satisfied?

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Indy wrote:Marc Gasol broke his foot--out indefinitely. That sucks for the Grizzlies.
Sounds like they need to look at Tyson Chandler.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Shabazz wrote:Sports is crazy. You can buy a team, run it like a buffoon (like Sarver/Vivek) watch it appreciate 3x in value in about 4 years (like the Sixers) AND STILL lock out the players because you're not making enough profit. AND look like the good guys to most of the public.

In what other industry can wealthy people have all of these crazy advantages and still not be satisfied?
That appreciation of sports franchises like that cannot keep going forever. Everything crashes at some point.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Banking, for starters.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:Sports is crazy. You can buy a team, run it like a buffoon (like Sarver/Vivek) watch it appreciate 3x in value in about 4 years (like the Sixers) AND STILL lock out the players because you're not making enough profit. AND look like the good guys to most of the public.

Their profits have been going up lately, so it is hard to say he is running it like a buffoon. It is only that way if you consider on court performance. From a profit stand point, he has been good. He actually made less profit during the good years of Nash.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Indy wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Banking, for starters.
If anyone would get my sarcasm, I thought it would be you, Indy.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Indy wrote:

Their profits have been going up lately, so it is hard to say he is running it like a buffoon. It is only that way if you consider on court performance. From a profit stand point, he has been good. He actually made less profit during the good years of Nash.
That success has nothing to do with his ownership. The overall health of the league/the new TV deal is the rising tide that's lifting all the ships. Sarver's "success" is easily viewed in the crowd shots (or lack thereof) I see on every Suns telecast.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Indy wrote:Marc Gasol broke his foot--out indefinitely. That sucks for the Grizzlies.
...and my fantasy team in the vet league.