Poll: Just Tank or Rebuild/Blow up Roster?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Poll ended at Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:32 am

Just tank for this season
33%
Blow up team/Full Rebuilding mode
67%

Total votes: 12

SDC

Post by SDC »

so just tank this season, meaning only get rid of markieff morris,

or get rid of every high salaried vet on this team except for the young players under their rookie contracts?

are you looking forward to next season when both bledsoe and knight get healthy?

EDC

Re: Poll: Just Tank or Rebuild/Blow up Roster?

Post by EDC »

Full rebuild. We aren't competing for anything but a chance of the 8th spot next season. So we should just let the young guys grow.

I would rather watch the young guys learn to play the right way under a real head coach instead of watching the shit show we put on earlier this season. I still find it hilarious that Goodwin/Booker both throw the lob to Chandler a million times better than our expensive guards.

Bledsoe/Knight - Keep one of Bledsoe/Knight or trade both and bring over Bogdan. Both of these guys are turnover machines. Not sure if they are ever going to figure it out. One has to go for sure.

PJ - A lot of teams are looking for a wing defender. He should be easy to move and get something okay in return.

Chandler - The only thing he offers to a young team is guidance. You see what you can get for him but you don't give up anything to move him. His contract isn't that big of a deal if we are rebuilding.

Kieff - He can't be left on a team that is rebuilding. His attitude is toxic.

Goodwin, Booker, Bodganovich
TJ, Len
First round pick this year.

Bring back Price or some other vet point guard who can be on the bench. Then fill in with whatever you get from trading the other guys. Preferably young guys and a few bench vets.

Then get us a real coach. I could enjoy watching that team.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't think we can find a suitor for Chandler because of the size and length of his contract. And I think Bledsoe/Knight can't be traded until they show they are healthy and can play again, so we may be stuck with them for another year or so.

But Morris, PJ, and maybe Teletovic are serviceable vets who could find good homes somewhere if a team will give us back an asset.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

I don't even know what this poll means. 4 of our rotation players are recent draft picks. Everyone else, from McD's perspective, is an asset. Of that I'm fairly confident. Would "blowing it up" mean trade everyone, as the time comes, but those 4? Because I'm pretty sure that's been the plan all along (except that the losing accelerates the timeline).

In other words, this IS rebuilding. Sheesh!

Indy

Post by Indy »

SDC wrote:so just tank this season, meaning only get rid of markieff morris,

or get rid of every high salaried vet on this team except for the young players under their rookie contracts?

are you looking forward to next season when both bledsoe and knight get healthy?
Aren't we already tanking, even if it isn't deliberate, with Keef? So what would getting rid of him have to do with tanking this season (or any other for that matter)?

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

OE32 wrote:I don't even know what this poll means. 4 of our rotation players are recent draft picks. Everyone else, from McD's perspective, is an asset. Of that I'm fairly confident. Would "blowing it up" mean trade everyone, as the time comes, but those 4? Because I'm pretty sure that's been the plan all along (except that the losing accelerates the timeline).

Yes. I took the poll as "dump our young talent and start over" or "build from where we are"

If that is the choice, I do not see the point in dumping promising young talent for other young talent.

SDC

Post by SDC »

OE32 wrote:I don't even know what this poll means. 4 of our rotation players are recent draft picks. Everyone else, from McD's perspective, is an asset. Of that I'm fairly confident. Would "blowing it up" mean trade everyone, as the time comes, but those 4? Because I'm pretty sure that's been the plan all along (except that the losing accelerates the timeline).

i'm not asking you to "analyze" the situation. if you think the suns want to trade bledsoe, knight, chandler at some point and blow the team up, do you support it? or do you just want to tank this season?

SDC

Post by SDC »

i want to vote "just tank", but that will only prolong mcdo's hold on his office.

the problem with choosing "blow it up" is... if you think this team is a laughing stock now, wait till next year.

Split T

Post by Split T »

no reason to completely blow up the team now. We're going to be bad regardless if we trade knight/Chandler/Bledsoe. Honestly, there really isn't any reason to rush into trading anyone. We all want Markieff gone but his value has been at an all time low. If he keeps up his improved play, we might get more for him in the summer.

If we can get good value, I'd trade anyone right now, but we don't need to trade away players to lose more. We're already the worst team in the league. We'll lose plenty to pick up those ping pong balls.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Are these two options not mutually exclusive? Doesn't tanking imply rebuilding, and vice-versa?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:Are these two options not mutually exclusive? Doesn't tanking imply rebuilding, and vice-versa?

Don't let logic get in the way.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:Are these two options not mutually exclusive? Doesn't tanking imply rebuilding, and vice-versa?
I wouldn't say so. Rebuilding would be significantly changing your team and tanking would be aiming for a high draft pick. They usually come together though.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I get your point. We've been rebuilding for most of the last 10 seasons, and lingering in mediocrity almost the whole time. What I'm saying is that rebuilding without tanking nearly is impossible without some luck. We don't need to rehash all the ways the Suns have experienced or made their own "bad luck".

This season has convinced me that the Suns will never be great again with Sarver at the top. The organization needs an entire culture overhaul, and no one will really buy into it if Sarver is still signing the checks.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

SDC

Post by SDC »

no. case in point, the spurs.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

SDC wrote:
I think most would consider the Spurs an exception to the rule. The Suns are certainly not an exception.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
SDC wrote:
I think most would consider the Spurs an exception to the rule. The Suns are certainly not an exception.
And the Spurs didn't rebuild. They re-tooled.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Indy wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
SDC wrote:
And the Spurs didn't rebuild. They re-tooled.
^lol, and tanked their way to duncan.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
SDC wrote:
no they are not. the pelicans are seriously considering tanking this season.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Flagrant Fowl wrote: This season has convinced me that the Suns will never be great again with Sarver at the top. The organization needs an entire culture overhaul, and no one will really buy into it if Sarver is still signing the checks.
This is pretty much 100% my feeling right now too.

Last year I was envious of the Bucks (other than MCW), and this year the Celtics. In both cases, good young talent with good fit/chemistry and a coach who could stay ahead of the curve. The Bucks regressed a fair bit this year, which is why I've moved on to the Celtics. I wish we still had Ainge. And Colangelo. I don't know that I could ever be more than mildly intrigued by what the Suns does as long as Sarver is still at the top.

SDC

Post by SDC »

the way i see it, if the suns are just tanking this season is, suns are replacing keef with their high first round pick next season.