NBA All-Star Weekend 2016

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Sunsfan4life

Re: NBA All-Star Weekend 2016

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Anyone here SHAQ say on the 3pt contest "It's all about making shots"?

Barkley was like "that's some great A commentary there SHAQ". The guy might be the worst announcer I've ever heard. His analysis is staggeringly awful
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

carey

Post by carey »

Sunsfan4life wrote:Anyone here SHAQ say on the 3pt contest "It's all about making shots"?

Barkley was like "that's some great A commentary there SHAQ". The guy might be the worst announcer I've ever heard. His analysis is staggeringly awful
Yes but the unintentionally high comedy factor is off the charts. He's been an amazing addition.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

His humor is cheesy as hell. He just isn't funny IMO. The laughs he does get usually is when Kenny and Charles are teasing him about his nickames. Much rather have a good basketball mind like Kobe as the 4th member of that set.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Sunsfan4life wrote:Much rather have a good basketball mind like Kobe as the 4th member of that set.
PLEASE tell me that's a joke!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Watching the dunks as a whole, it was obvious that Gordon was the winner. The scoring process is suspect. It would have been better to make them co-champions. If you had to pick one, it was Gordon.

"Be Legendary."

dragickingdom

Post by dragickingdom »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:Kevin Hart was on the broadcast and you're complaining about Kenny Smith? :)
Yes. 100% yes.
The difference is that Kevin Hart doesn't take himself seriously and proclaim to be an "expert" on basketball like Kenny Smith.

SDC

Post by SDC »

one of these days, somebody is going to do a 360 dunk (vertical) without a trampoline.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

iLLmatic wrote:That seated dunk by Aaron Gordon has to be one of the best I've ever seen. Wow.
Best dunk I have ever seen period. Did he push down on the ball to elevate? He was up so high.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Superbone wrote:
Sunsfan4life wrote:Much rather have a good basketball mind like Kobe as the 4th member of that set.
PLEASE tell me that's a joke!
You don't think it would be HILARIOUS if Kobe replaced Shaq on Inside the NBA? The irony would be off the charts.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JCSunsfan wrote:
iLLmatic wrote:That seated dunk by Aaron Gordon has to be one of the best I've ever seen. Wow.
Best dunk I have ever seen period. Did he push down on the ball to elevate? He was up so high.
You gotta think Aaron Gordon would make quite the high jumper. Give him some technique training and he'd go over 7 foot easy. He looked like he jumped about 7 feet Saturday night.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Did anybody watch the actual game itself? Any comments? 192 points ... with the increasing popularity of the 3 point shot, the ASG has taken no-defense to new levels. I have to say, I simply cannot work up the nerve to watch these things. Like Mori said, the dunk contest is about 58 minutes of meaningless production and 2 minutes of showmanship. There's some value to watching the dunks live, but I'll opt for the highlights.

Any thoughts on how the ASG itself could be improved? The rising stars game already does what hockey does, and I guess they won't do the baseball version of determining Finals home court advantage through the ASG... any other options to make it more compelling or meaningful?

Have they ever done a horse game in ASG Saturday before?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Have they ever done a horse game in ASG Saturday before?
Yes. I am not sure when it stopped, but I am sure Bob or DC can tell us.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

They tried H-O-R-S-E like 5-6 years ago with Durant and a few other guys. I think if I recall correctly it was really surprisingly dull. It just turned into Kevin Durant battling Rajon Rondo (!) in the final and they just took turns shooting 3s from the top of the key. They made like 10 in a row each so they had to just do some kind of sudden-death to end it. It was sadly quite bad.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:They tried H-O-R-S-E like 5-6 years ago with Durant and a few other guys. I think if I recall correctly it was really surprisingly dull. It just turned into Kevin Durant battling Rajon Rondo (!) in the final and they just took turns shooting 3s from the top of the key. They made like 10 in a row each so they had to just do some kind of sudden-death to end it. It was sadly quite bad.
I think they did it quite a while ago too, and I didn't think it was bad. I think the format is key. There needs to be a couple rounds of weeding out, though. Then they can have people go at it. There also needs to be a couple set rules/options (like off-hand, seated, etc).

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Way back in the Paul Westphal days they did it but not at all-star weekend.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

When did they do it?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:When did they do it?
Various times throughout the season.

"Be Legendary."

SDC

Post by SDC »

i'd like to see a dunk contest for non-nba celebrities and sports athletes.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

SDC wrote:i'd like to see a layup contest for non-nba celebrities and sports athletes.
FTFY.

SDC

Post by SDC »

iLLmatic wrote:
SDC wrote:i'd like to see a layup contest for non-nba celebrities and sports athletes.
FTFY.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... rlake.html