Trade Deadline 2016

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Ring_Wanted

Re: Trade Deadline 2016

Post by Ring_Wanted »

carey wrote:My problem isn't PJ the player, really. It's that he is blocking Warren's playing time. Am I shocked that PJ wasn't moved? Not at all. He's the only SF on the roster with Warren injured. We could put Booker here for stretches but it wouldn't be ideal. We could run Tele at SF and Leuer at PF, or Tele, Len, Chandler. None of those are great options though. I'm going to be pretty upset when PJ is brought back next year and blocks Warren's development some more.
Warren should be starting when he learn that he needs to make contributions alsewhere. By the way I really want to make a stretch PF out of Warren, but I think that's not going to happen.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

You've got to give it up to PJ for being a true Sun. He has been here through thick and thin (mostly thin) and has been a loyal and tough nosed competitor for your Phoenix Suns.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Warren should be starting when he learn that he needs to make contributions alsewhere.
Agreed. I really hope that comes through under Watson.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Morey traded Donatas Motiejunas for Detroit's pick (top8 protected) and filler (Joel Anthony).
The heist of the deadline. I can't believe Morey got that for an end of the bench vet and a broken back D-Mo.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

pickle

Post by pickle »

I don't dislike Tucker, but I don't think he has a role on this team anymore. If we are to move him at all, his value would not be higher than it was just before that deadline, unless next summer we throw him into other trades as a salary filler. He is likely not going to headline any deals on his own moving forward. I think a future first is unrealistic to expect for him but I would have been ok with a higher second rounder or something.

My biggest concern with not having moved him is the next year he will still be here and it can't help with minutes. I'm not all that concerned about having to have a sf. So we play someone out of position for thirty games and he sucks it up on the court, and we lose more games. Bring it on. Please.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

INFORMER wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:Morey traded Donatas Motiejunas for Detroit's pick (top8 protected) and filler (Joel Anthony).
The heist of the deadline. I can't believe Morey got that for an end of the bench vet and a broken back D-Mo.
Morey certainly got value. I wouldn't have paid that much, but if that back ever gets fully healthy the Pistons have added a very good piece next to Drummond.

Sam Presti, on the other hand, did just a minor move in Foye, which doesn't look exactly like what they need but at least was cheap. PJ Tucker made so much sense for them.

This was an interesting deadline.

SDC

Post by SDC »

SDC wrote:wow, those 2 miami heat picks mcdo got is gonna be valuable soon.
i may have spoken too soon. as long as wade stays on the injured list, miami is going to be just fine.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Superbone wrote:You've got to give it up to PJ for being a true Sun. He has been here through thick and thin (mostly thin) and has been a loyal and tough nosed competitor for your Phoenix Suns.
PJ will get an appreciation thread when he goes. I like the guy, even if he isn't MJ. I think he has given him self up for the team through thick and thin. He is such a competitor, it must kill him to lose this much.

I really like Warren on offense. I really have concerns about his defense. We are already Swiss cheese on defense with PJ. If you are a Suns player on this team and you get pulled and singled out for your lack of defense, you know you have a problem area. Warren is not a better defender than PJ. Is Warrens offense that good that it makes up for his defense or is his defense going to improve with time and maybe a better coach/team around him?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I'm with you, 'Dack. I like Watson as the guy to get him there too. He preaches accountability.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

PJ isn't the player he once was, but he's been a good Sun. It's too bad that he seems to have slipped a lot at the things he needs to be good at (3 and D).

carey

Post by carey »

Superbone wrote:I'm with you, 'Dack. I like Watson as the guy to get him there too. He preaches accountability.
It is next to impossible to know if Watson can actually coach. He has nothing to work with. His best scorers are a 19-year-old former 6th man in college hitting the rookie wall & a 30-year-old European gunslinger who'll either get you 20 points or 5 points.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:
Superbone wrote:I'm with you, 'Dack. I like Watson as the guy to get him there too. He preaches accountability.
It is next to impossible to know if Watson can actually coach. He has nothing to work with. His best scorers are a 19-year-old former 6th man in college hitting the rookie wall & a 30-year-old European gunslinger who'll either get you 20 points or 5 points.
I agree that we don't know what his coaching chops are yet but I do know that I like the way he interacts with his team. Another thing we do know is that the players are giving effort out on the court.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
carey wrote:
I agree that we don't know what his coaching chops are yet but I do know that I like the way he interacts with his team. Another thing we do know is that the players are giving effort out on the court.
It is probably more accurate to say that you like how he has described his interactions with the team. We don't have inside info on if he walks the walk, yet. That said, I agree. I like the philosophy he preaches. I have no idea if he has any of the X/O chops to do the job, or the leadership ability.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Warren is not a better defender than PJ.
Agreed, but PJ is not a good defender to begin with. He certainly can be for 5-10 minutes a game, but he can't do what he did 3 years ago anymore.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Is Warrens offense that good that it makes up for his defense
Take note of the last two columns.

The advanced stats tell a similar story, too.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Honestly, kind of down on TJ. Not sure how his game fits in with today's NBA. And he doesn't seem to do enough of the intangibles (defense, rebounding) to make up for it the way a guy like Shawn Marion did.

TOO

Post by TOO »

TJ needs consistent minutes over the course of a season before I'm ready to make a judgement on him.

Indy

Post by Indy »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:TJ needs consistent minutes over the course of a season before I'm ready to make a judgement on him.
That is where I am too. We are talking about a guy that has only played in 1700 minutes over 2 years in the NBA. He played more minutes in two years in college. He needs some playing time to see what else he has.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I like that TJ just seems to have a nose for scoring. He can tell where to go, where to position himself, where to move with or without the ball, to get himself a basket seemingly out of nothing. His shooting is pretty suspect, and his defense isn't spectacular. The shooting is the biggest problem right now; he needs to work on that a lot if he's going to be a great small forward in today's NBA. But every time I watch him play he makes a few plays where he just pulls a made basket out of nowhere. I really like watching him for that reason.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I go back and forth on tj, I wasn't very high on him when we drafted him, but he's showed me some things this year that give me hope. As many have
said, he cuts well and finds ways to score when plays aren't run for him. I think his outside shot shows promise. He was around 40% from 3 this year if I remember correctly.

I'm still not sure what he becomes. I don't ever see him being a go to scorer and he doesn't appear to be a playmaker for others. If his 3 point shot proves to be real, I'd say he could be a 3 and D wing but he doesn't play much D. Maybe you just bring him off the bench as a bench unit go to guy?