Game Day: Spurs (46-9) @ Suns (14-41), Sun 2/21/16

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Game Day: Spurs (46-9) @ Suns (14-41), Sun 2/21/16

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:
Superbone wrote:
azsportsfan wrote:Clippers game is in L.A...
And it's tomorrow.
Can't get 'em all right. Image
Hey, you got the team right. :D
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Ugh; Len is *not* a 4. He is a lumbering giant, and he doesn't have a reliable outside shot. He's not going to ever be a 3-point threat. I just don't like the idea of playing him with another big center. Len + Leuer or something like that, yes, I can see that a lot more.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:Ugh; Len is *not* a 4. He is a lumbering giant, and he doesn't have a reliable outside shot. He's not going to ever be a 3-point threat. I just don't like the idea of playing him with another big center. Len + Leuer or something like that, yes, I can see that a lot more.
Mori wins the worst description of the day! Len is lacking in a lot of ways, but he is never lumbering. He is very agile and quick for a 7 footer. That is why he doesn't do near as well with his back to the basket in a post game, but gets decent shots off when catching first at 12-15 feet facing the basket.

Also, saying he doesn't have a reliable outside shot is crazy, unless you are talking about 3s only. He is very good from 15-18 feet.

Indy

Post by Indy »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Indy wrote:
wpmiller42 wrote:The more I see Len play, the more I'm convinced he's really a PF. I just don't think he's really comfortable in the post. I think we should focus on getting a mobile center to play with him, like Chandler 8 years ago or Gobert today, and let him develop as more of a PF that can play C at times.
In the league today, what is the difference between a 4 and a 5? There are plenty of each that can play well in the post, plenty of each that can stretch the floor. And a few that can do both.
To me, the difference is mostly on where/when they get the ball in the offense (you know, provided the team has a point guard that can pass), and who they're assigned to guard on defense. I get the sense that Len is actually alot more comfortable guarding other 4s, and can use his typical size/height advantage to get rebounds. And he's good at funneling his man into the defense, which is alot tougher to do when you're playing center.

Offensively, I think Len is better when he gets to hover out along that 15-ft wing area and catch the ball facing the basket. He can always turn and back in, but for some reason I don't think he's comfortable catching the ball with his back to the basket.

Totally agree that there's not a big difference in the league today between the 4 and 5, but I think when Len has more opportunities to use his mobility on both ends of the floor, he just tends to be better.
Totally agree (although I don't think that means he is a 4 vs a 5).

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I liked what I saw from Pressey. Looks like he belongs.

Len makes Duncan's (and other slower bigs) life pretty hard. Btw how is he lumbering? He is a bit mechanical but nothing compared to other centers. If you want to see a robot, take a look at Valanciunas. Or just remember RoLo.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I enjoyed watching the game. They lost but, they were actually playing team basketball.

Len was a beast. I want him to start.

Booker is #1 on the scouting report and he is getting smothered. A great learning experience for him even though he didn't get the numbers.

I am loosing a faith in Goodman. He is awesome at slashing to the basket and can hit an occasional 3 but, doesn't seem to be able to guard anybody and still makes a lot of bad decisions. He has been pulled a lot for being a dumbass this season. Booker is four years ahead of him already. Starting to wonder if he will be part of the long term Suns plans.

I know Mirza isn't the best defender by by any stretch but, he can sure light it up from anywhere and that is a commodity.

Humphreys has been a nice addition for being a throw in. He's a dirt worker and that is something we needed. Probably not a long term addition but is helping right now.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:Ugh; Len is *not* a 4. He is a lumbering giant, and he doesn't have a reliable outside shot. He's not going to ever be a 3-point threat. I just don't like the idea of playing him with another big center. Len + Leuer or something like that, yes, I can see that a lot more.
Mori wins the worst description of the day! Len is lacking in a lot of ways, but he is never lumbering. He is very agile and quick for a 7 footer. That is why he doesn't do near as well with his back to the basket in a post game, but gets decent shots off when catching first at 12-15 feet facing the basket.

Also, saying he doesn't have a reliable outside shot is crazy, unless you are talking about 3s only. He is very good from 15-18 feet.
"Lumbering" is relative; he's not slow for a center. But I don't like his agility and foot speed for a PF. And yes, I'm talking about 3s and near-3-point range. He does have a nicely developing midrange jumper, but I don't think that is good enough for a fulltime PF in 2016's NBA. I feel like the ideal NBA PF is basically a Kevin Love who could also play defense.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Mori Chu wrote:
Indy wrote:

"Lumbering" is relative; he's not slow for a center. But I don't like his agility and foot speed for a PF. And yes, I'm talking about 3s and near-3-point range. He does have a nicely developing midrange jumper, but I don't think that is good enough for a fulltime PF in 2016's NBA. I feel like the ideal NBA PF is basically a Kevin Love who could also play defense.
So Anthony Davis then? :D

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Indy wrote:

Even for a PF he is not lumbering. Even relatively.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote: I am loosing a faith in Goodman. He is awesome at slashing to the basket and can hit an occasional 3 but, doesn't seem to be able to guard anybody and still makes a lot of bad decisions. He has been pulled a lot for being a dumbass this season. Booker is four years ahead of him already. Starting to wonder if he will be part of the long term Suns plans.
You keep calling him Goodman for one thing. I know we don't win but at least you could call the kid by his correct name. You must know a Goodman. Or maybe you've been watching Better Call Saul.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Lumbering Len is not.

"Be Legendary."

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Superbone wrote:
Nodack wrote: I am loosing a faith in Goodman. He is awesome at slashing to the basket and can hit an occasional 3 but, doesn't seem to be able to guard anybody and still makes a lot of bad decisions. He has been pulled a lot for being a dumbass this season. Booker is four years ahead of him already. Starting to wonder if he will be part of the long term Suns plans.
You keep calling him Goodman for one thing. I know we don't win but at least you could call the kid by his correct name. You must know a Goodman. Or maybe you've been watching Better Call Saul.

Or a Coen Bros. movie w/ John Goodman. Big Lebowski. Barton Fink. O, Brother, Where Art Thou?
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Superbone wrote:
No, I'm just a dumbass.

TOO

Post by TOO »

If you squint as hard you can, I guess you could see a John Goodman resemblance.