Game Day: Suns (14-42) @ Clippers (36-19), Mon 2/22/16

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: Game Day: Suns (14-42) @ Clippers (36-19), Mon 2/22/16

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:Ya, Ben Simmons is being talked about as the best college freshman since Durant. It's died down a little, probably cuz like Carey said, lsu isn't very good. If Simmons had gone to Duke or Kentucky, he'd be all over ESPN. I'll be thrilled if we land a top two pick, Simmons and Ingram will be all stars, but outside them the draft looks pretty weak.
I assume by "all-stars" you really mean All-NBA, since All-Stars are really just about popularity and not achievements. But either way, do you really see him as being one of the top 5-6 forwards in league?
He has some flaws that he needs to fix, like he hasn't shown any range, at least he never takes 3's. And, his outside shot isn't polished, but he has good mechanics. Also, like INF said, he doesn't have the scoring instincts and assertiveness that you would like to see. But his BballIQ and passing is fantastic. I think he will be one of the top 5-6 forwards in the league in time.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
carey wrote:
Indy wrote: I assume by "all-stars" you really mean All-NBA, since All-Stars are really just about popularity and not achievements. But either way, do you really see him as being one of the top 5-6 forwards in league?
I get fooled by hype as much as the next guy. He does look like he has all the tools though. I wouldn't hesitate to draft him #1.
Here's a question: If you had the 1st pick this year, but could swap it for the first pick next year, would you?
I don't know next year's draft well enough to comment on that, but I pose another question:

-If we get the 2nd-4th pick, would you swap that with the Sixers for J. Okafor?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

TOO

Post by TOO »

specialsauce wrote:
Indy wrote:
carey wrote:
Indy wrote: I assume by "all-stars" you really mean All-NBA, since All-Stars are really just about popularity and not achievements. But either way, do you really see him as being one of the top 5-6 forwards in league?
I get fooled by hype as much as the next guy. He does look like he has all the tools though. I wouldn't hesitate to draft him #1.
Here's a question: If you had the 1st pick this year, but could swap it for the first pick next year, would you?
I don't know next year's draft well enough to comment on that, but I pose another question:

Nope.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Yes, but how often are mock drafts in February correct after the first pick or two?

carey

Post by carey »

If we fall to 6 and draft Murray, a Kentucky combo guard, I will laugh until I cry.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:If we fall to 6 and draft Murray, a Kentucky combo guard, I will laugh until I cry.
Ha!

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Indy wrote:
carey wrote:

Nope.
Really??

Because you're worried about Okafor's character, or talent?

TOO

Post by TOO »

Mostly it's his lack of defense and mediocre rebounding I dont like. I dont think he's the type of player you can build around in todays NBA.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:Ya, Ben Simmons is being talked about as the best college freshman since Durant. It's died down a little, probably cuz like Carey said, lsu isn't very good. If Simmons had gone to Duke or Kentucky, he'd be all over ESPN. I'll be thrilled if we land a top two pick, Simmons and Ingram will be all stars, but outside them the draft looks pretty weak.
I assume by "all-stars" you really mean All-NBA, since All-Stars are really just about popularity and not achievements. But either way, do you really see him as being one of the top 5-6 forwards in league?
I expect Simmons will be a top 5 forward at some point in his career. I think he's somewhere between grant hill and Lamar Odom. Will be nice if he develops an outside shot.

Ingram should be pretty good too. Has some physical growing to do as I'm not sure he's even 200 lbs at 6'10. He's very much built like Kevin Durant and plays similar too. Obviously not at the same level, but he's still a young freshman, kinda like Booker was. He's putting up 17 pts 7 boards 2 assists 1.5 blocks and a steal while shooting 41% from 3 in the acc.

I'd take both of them over anyone not named Towns or portzingis from last year's draft.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

I haven't watched enough of Ingram. At this point, I prefer both Simmons and Bender. The word on Bender is that he's got a motor that doesn't quit - frankly, IMO, that's the biggest thing we're missing. The only rotation player with a great motor is PJ, who has his (obvious) limitations. We need one of our main guys to be so driven. Obviously, that's one reason to worry about Simmons, but the talent level is so high and it fits our roster so well that he'd also be hard to pass up on.

Y'all joke about Murray, but if we fall to 4, I honestly have no idea who we take. My primary concern is that we won't be able to move Bled, Knight or Archie this season, meaning there's absolutely no wiggle room as far as our backcourt is concerned. We're simply stuffed. Stuffed and injured.

Who's everyone's guy at 4, since we're likely to pick there?

carey

Post by carey »

OE32 wrote:Who's everyone's guy at 4, since we're likely to pick there?
I have no idea. Ellenson, maybe? That's kind of high for him. Rabb would be a reach there. I can't see us taking Dunn with Bledsoe & Knight still here. Plus I worry about his game at the pro-level. The draft right now from what I read breaks down into tiers like this: 1) Simmons and Ingram 2) Dunn, Brown, and Bender 3) The rest of the lottery. So if at 4 we'd have two to pick from Dunn, Brown and Bender. At this point, I think I go Bender I guess even though I like Ellenson's game more.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

Something germane to our conversation that I shouldn't post but that I'll put it in the spoiler tags and post anyway.

Is Ben Simmons still the No. 1 pick?
Spoiler: show/hide
Whose skills are more unique: Ingram's or Simmons'?
Who are comparisons for Ingram and Simmons?
Can Ingram still pass Simmons?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

Thanks carey!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yep, thanks! I know a heck of a lot more about these two players now.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Why is all that in spoiler tags?

carey

Post by carey »

Mori Chu wrote:Why is all that in spoiler tags?
It's an insider article.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Ohhh. Gotcha. Sorry for being dense. My take on all that is, if you quote subsets of a private article that's okay with me, but we should avoid posting entire articles or from frequently reposting huge amounts of otherwise private content. I think that in general we are doing just fine in that regard and that your post is not at all a problem. Thanks for being sensitive to the issue.

Split T

Post by Split T »

OE32 wrote:I haven't watched enough of Ingram. At this point, I prefer both Simmons and Bender. The word on Bender is that he's got a motor that doesn't quit - frankly, IMO, that's the biggest thing we're missing. The only rotation player with a great motor is PJ, who has his (obvious) limitations. We need one of our main guys to be so driven. Obviously, that's one reason to worry about Simmons, but the talent level is so high and it fits our roster so well that he'd also be hard to pass up on.

Y'all joke about Murray, but if we fall to 4, I honestly have no idea who we take. My primary concern is that we won't be able to move Bled, Knight or Archie this season, meaning there's absolutely no wiggle room as far as our backcourt is concerned. We're simply stuffed. Stuffed and injured.

Who's everyone's guy at 4, since we're likely to pick there?
I don't get the bender love. We know nothing about him. He never plays. He may turn out to be a great player but for all we know he could be tskitishvili. He's getting compared to Porzingis because he's 7 foot, athletic, skilled, and European. The difference is Porzingis was putting up good numbers in a good league.

As for who I'd take at 4, I'm trying to figure out who I'd take at 3,4,5,and 6. I'd take Dunn if we could move Bledsoe and knight. I think he's a bigger Bledsoe, could maybe be a 2. I think he can be a good pg in this league but not sure. I'd be ok if we took Bender at any of those spots, but only because I'm not high on anyone else but I wouldn't be confident in the pick. I want to like Jamal Murray, but I'm afraid he's Austin Rivers. I wanna like jaylen brown too, but I'm not sure what he is outside of athletic and big for a wing. I think buddy Hield will be good, maybe a cj McCollum or Bradley beal like player. Really I just hope we land a top two pick, I'd feel so much better about this team with Simmons or Ingram on it.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Superbone wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:Booker building a house of bricks lately. Enough to build the rookie wall he seems to have hit.
7/10 would read again.
2/10, 5 points. Unless I'm dyslexic.
I don't know if you are dyslexic or not ;) but 7/10 was your score, not Booker's.
Dammit! I missed it. The missing comma or hyphen or something between 7/10 and "would". My comprehension skills can be 2/10 most days.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton